Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giving (semi)megabeasts weapons  (Read 986 times)

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Giving (semi)megabeasts weapons
« on: December 08, 2008, 07:16:27 am »

As far as I know, the only way to do this would be to make a (semi)megabeast civilization. It isn't possible to just specify in the entity file that a given (semi)megabeast uses some specific equipement without making them a civilization? Like, for example, a giant or Titan who wields tree trunks.

If this is the case, has anyone tried making every megabeast into a cave-dwelling civilization? (with maybe a limit of 1 creature per site) How will that affect world generation?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Giving (semi)megabeasts weapons
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 07:25:28 am »

Well, their's a tag in creature raws called [EQUIPS] that allows a creature to wield weapons and armor. i suppose if you added this to the creature raws, they'd pick up whatever weapon they can hold.

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 09:25:28 am »

I've seen that tag, but I haven't seen a creature pick up a weapon yet. The only thing I've seen that may apply is a giant after killing my adventurer pulled out and dropped the axe which was stuck in it's leg.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 12:44:06 pm »

Can't do it. As said the only time they'll equip is when they wrestle an item off someone and then kill them with it.

There is however, a hacky version which involves body editing, basically you apply a skeleton weapon (so it doesn't bleed but can be broken) attached to their hand, then edit the creature raw so that the damage comes from that body token. remember that the damage is scaled in groups of ten - 1:6 damage in creature raw equates to 10 to 60 weapon damage, if at normal size. The creature raw damage gets large size/strength modifiers though and I don't know the equation. Play around with it.

You can even make it so that when they die they drop that uber weapon for your adventurer by modding in a nice weapon in the weapon raw and have the megabeast drop a masterwork "flaming sword" with burn damage on death in the creature raw.

EDIT - As for the cave dwelling civ, unless you make it so that they don't reproduce (each creature will have a minimum of one a year once married up to 10 litters, they will crush everyone if powerful enough. Though that would work too, but they won't be considered *megabeasts* (no warning if they attack)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 12:46:12 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 07:03:28 pm »

Oh god. Skeleton weapons sound terrifying.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 11:01:02 am »

All righty. I tried this out:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Which is the standard Giant, except I slowed down the rate of baby/child development, and added [CAN_CIV]

And made them a cave-dwelling semimegabeast civilization which can wear a few clothes and wields the giant club:

The result?

I got giants listed in BOTH the semimegabeast section of the historical figures and the civilization section. Meaning that the game generated some standard semimegabeast giants, and a couple giant civs with the equipment and stuff I specified.

About 50% of the time, the civilizations got killed off before 80% of the standard semimegabeasts. Note that I severely limited the maximum number of "civilized" giants per site (cave). I think that helped balance their size.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 11:04:14 am by TrombonistAndrew »

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 03:37:12 am »

If I'm understanding correctly what's happening with the "giant" civs, as opposed to the "giant" history section, then it might be of value to mod in various types of different megabeasts---red minotaur, swamp etin, rock titan, sky titan, what have you--and then have each of them be a separate civ. That way, you can just say that the history section is just referring generically to members of the overall race, without elaborating on the sub-species.

It might be a lot of fun to actually go up against a giant civ, and to even trade with it.
For they would be your masters.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 06:21:43 pm »

Any creature with hands can use wepons. It sounds incredible, but I got my sword stuck in a beak dog, and lost hold of it. He pulled it out, and instead of dropping it, he used it to cleave me apart.