Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Minor suggestions thread  (Read 5533 times)

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
Re: Minor suggestions thread
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 06:35:00 am »

The ability to give jobs priorities.

IE: You want to channel a room. You first mark the channels at the end of the room and give it the priority 1.
Then you mark the next area and give it a priority of 2, meaning that the drwaves will only start it once they've finished the first job.
And so on.
You could choose it from the (d)esignation menu, by having a little switchable thing in the end marking the priority it haves.

It would be quite gold in a water-magma machine, too.

Also, you could give items "priorities", ie. all possible of items of the correct type with a priority of 1 are equipped (or used) before any items with a
priority of 2, and so on. Would, again, be useful in situations where you wanted for example only obsidian mechanisms, favoring ones of charcoal. Also it would be easier to give infantry weapons.

The brings me to the third thing: a more detailed weapons screen.
Instead of assigning soldiers a weapon class, you just assign them the weapon and/or armor directly.

That's them all for now, I'll add more when I think up some.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 08:13:00 pm »

Lower values for food items. It'd just ridiculous to have food worth 1000+ per item and 20k+ value stacks of food. Perhaps make the prepared meals an average of the material values instead of the way it is now, and maybe even lower the quality bonus to a percentage bonus to value instead of multiplying.

It's just ridiculous to give the dwarven caravan a stack of 15 cheese roast for their entire load of cargo, including a massive pile of precious gems (star sapphires, diamonds, star rubies, etc) and enough cheese to make another 50 meals of the same value.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 09:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Paul:
<STRONG>Lower values for food items.</STRONG>

Yup.  Actually I'd like to see the caravans have a wide disparity between their selling prices and their buying prices.  Also I'd like to see some supply and demand....  I really don't understand why I can sell a couple hundred exceptional and masterwork stone mugs, and do the same again next year.  The market should be flooded.

Along those lines, I would like to see much more emphasis on that list of requested items that the caravan will pay extra for.  Like maybe that's all they'll purchase next year.  Or maybe you have to sell/give them enough items from that list before you can even start trading normally.

mutant mell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 07:37:00 pm »

Bumping for  suggestion:

Have rocks in rivers be slowly carried downstream.

madpeople

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 06:34:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Lazy_Perfectionist:
<STRONG>The spacebar is too useful a key. I'm too comfortable pressing it. Please make it a little harder to completely ignore the liason by requiring us to press the Enter key or something else. I've blown off that liason one time to many, and unlike merchants, there's no second chance- at least right away.</STRONG>

same for the dwarfs where it is a decision (space = "go away i don't care" which can be a bad thing to say some times i think)

being able to remove slopes by designating them for mining.

i've had some slopes that were not connected to any land above or have any walls next to them that wouldn't disappear, but i wanted to build walls next to them, but not to have the ramps there, its probably a but that the ramps didn't disappear (i built a constructed wall next to them, then channeled away the natural land next to them, then removed the constructed wall and they stayed put), but i couldn't designate them for channeling to get rid of them as that would have connected my moat to the inside of my fort on the Z level below.
i just built walls over them instead, but being able just to say dig away the ramp would be handy

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 10:35:00 am »

I think adding sexual dimorphism for creatures would be great. You could change the body/size/color of a creature to be different for each gender.

Demosthenes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 11:02:00 am »

I suggest the ability to chose a preferred building material be added. If something you're trying to build can be built with the preferred material, it will be at the top of the list, no matter the distance. The preferred material can be specific (Green glass blocks, Ash logs, Chert, Steel Blocks) or very general (Stone, wood, Metal).

madpeople

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 02:13:00 pm »

instead of a noble mandate being something they like (and always the same thing), have them mandate something that you may actually need, like if you have more dwarfs than bed room, then they ask to make beds instead of asking me to make more beds because the like them, even though i have more rooms than dwarfs, and asking me to make querns when i already have a millstone
(+ i'm annoyed about them forbidding export of something after the traders had left leaving my legendary siege operator who is also a legendary stone crafter nearly dead after a "beating" [didn't help that the captain of the guard was "ultra-mighty"], but that's in a different thread anyway)

other point.
if a dwarf has a long way to walk, and they will either not get there before they need to eat/drink/sleep or will only say mine one square, could they do the eat/drink/sleep first, and work a little longer (how much time they didn't work by eating/sleeping/drinking early) after eating/drinking/sleeping.
largely to prevent them walking a long distance only to not do anything.

[ January 07, 2008: Message edited by: madpeople ]

grand master milker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 03:03:00 pm »

Perhaps a job class like labourer or something, would be nice to be able to assign dwarves to just hauling stuff around.

Spiders Everywhere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 03:05:00 pm »

A master skills screen. On the left, a list of all the skills a dwarf can have. In the middle, a list of all your dwarves sorted by their level in the currently selected skill, and on the right a list of the selected dwarf's skills.

Mining___________Urist Fancypants, Legendary_________Legendary Woodcutter
Woodcutting_____Dwarfy McDwarfington, Novice_________Novice Carpenter
Carpentry________"Toeless" Jöë Fumblefingers, Dabbling____Dabbling Grower
etc._____________(Everyone else), No Skill

If you move the cursor to the center column, you can hit a key to toggle that job on or off for that dwarf. You can also use hotkeys to toggle the job for all dwarves, or + and - to turn it on or off for dwarves of a specific skill level, similar to the workshop profile screen.

mutant mell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2008, 07:38:00 pm »

Have a 'd'esignate: Mark for dumping function.

Pyro93735

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2008, 09:41:00 pm »

Have a center on announcement feature. There were some troglydites in a chasm that were frightening dwarves who attempted to cross above on a bridge to collect wood, and they saw the trogyldites 10 z-levels down and I had no idea what was scaring them. I didn't even know where they were being frightened for the longest time. If it's possible to zoom in on either the dwarves prompting a message, or the stimulus prompting the dwarves to have a message (such as the troglydites frightening the dwarves), or both, that would be nice.

[ January 07, 2008: Message edited by: Pyro93735 ]

d4nte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 05:47:00 pm »

Item quality switch for ALL stockpiles (particularly refuse) so that poor quality or rotten items can be stored in seperate piles - don't want ALL corpses to be brought inside to my butcher, just the fresh ones.

[ January 08, 2008: Message edited by: d4nte ]

Doub

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2008, 12:45:00 pm »

I think it would be cool if obsolete wooden items could be marked for melting und so be recycled at the ashery. Why not give the old, normal quality beds and wooden cages another use?

ClimbingEast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2008, 06:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Align:
<STRONG>Ability to quickly place floors and walls over large spaces, perhaps using the exact same interface as (paved) roads.</STRONG>

Seconded, if not seconded already. Being able to construct towers and other buildings above ground (or below ground after excavating large areas) is a royal pain at the moment. It would be nice to be able to place floors/walls as you can farmplots and paved roads, possibly even with a toggle option that will switch areafill on and off. It'd be great to be able to build a 5x5 wall section with one command, or to construct a 5x5 building with a hollow 3x3 interior with one command.

Pages: 1 [2] 3