Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mouse Guard Fortress Mod - Everything eats you.  (Read 14045 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Mouse Guard Fortress Mod - Everything eats you.
« on: December 07, 2008, 05:01:00 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=713

First release of the Mouse Guard: Dwarf Fortress Mod - as requested by /tg/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouse_Guard

You play as the Mouse Guard, an elite group of mice attempting to defend their homeland from beasts larger, stronger, and could crush you like ... mice. Provide for your mice and attempt to survive the harsh winters, homicidal Squirrels, Weasels out for your blood, and rampaging snakes.

Information, weapons, and creatures taken from the Mouse Guard graphic novel and RPG - homicidal squirrels loosely based off the RPG, and mainly because I like homicidal squirrels.

Let me know about bugs, stuff that sucks, etc, so I can fix it in the next version.

Jurassiced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mouse Guard Fortress Mod - Everything eats you.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 09:54:10 pm »

is this serious  :o wow...
POKHOMME http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=84 Race mod im working on.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 12:22:41 am »

is this serious  :o wow...

Who cares? It sounds like it has enough win potential to be worth a download, serious or not.

Hell yeah, blood weasels!

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 03:22:10 am »

Because I needed yet ANOTHER mod to play.  First time playing Adventure Mode though.  Also, first post!  Wanted to share something I tinkered with because I enjoy pretty fonts.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I got tired of seeing my mice as little bearded dwarves so I modified one of the tilesets from the wiki.

Edited:  Some things I noticed you might want to fix.  Lots of leather goods from animals mice couldn't really take down.  Elk and camels come to mind.

Also I watched a Hare kick a shopkeeper to death.. with it's right front hoof.

Cricket is misspelled "Criket"

Edited again:  Dear god!  This is my first time playing Adventure Mode.  I had no idea of the violence.  I finally found the slingmouse that was fainting left and right, only to discover he was missing his right ankle and everything below.. and his nose!  On a whim I attacked him and sent his hand, mitten, and glove flying through the air!
Ironic Justice:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 04:13:11 am by madrain »

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 04:13:07 am »

Thanks for that, /tg/ alerted me that camels are buyable as pets and such. I might have to make certain leather goods extremely expensive if they're from large animals.

I will fix hares, and looked into a problem with seeds as well. Will also make squirrels more numerous and attack more often, as well as make Weasels hostile more of the time. Will fix cricket as well- and bows, I missed a tag in there.

I did however manage to bring down a MOOSE with 40 recruited mice with slings, spears, and hook and line mice. Lost 4 of them in the struggle with a few more injured.

Someone is also working with me to have a graphics set, I don't know if it'll be done before the next version fix I'll put out tomorrow morning though.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 04:17:22 am »

I'll have to give this a try.  I haven't read the series, but I remember when I first saw a big preview for it I thought, "This would make a rockin' DF mod."

Actually, my first thought was, "When did Redwall go Dark and Edgy?"  But DF Modding was right behind that.

Madrain: Welcome to the forum and thanks for the mice icons.  They look a bit like Bob the Hamster, if that rings a bell.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Dwarf Mouse

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 11:29:34 am »

Hi. I was the /tg/ guy having the seed problem.

When I tried it again, it worked fine. I can no longer replicate the problem. It was probably something unrelated, so don't worry about it.

Also, is it possible to affect the rate injuries heal by? Might help overcome the fact that mice are going to get screwed up in any fight. (Though we do have examples in the Mouse Guard comic and RPG of mice having permanent but non-crippling injury.)

PS: I had a hunter get his arm mangled. He then went inside and built a workshop. :o

EDIT: And speaking of workshops...

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:55:58 am by Dwarf Mouse »

Dwarf Mouse

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 12:04:06 am »

Issue:

Turtles and several kinds of fish can (and will) be caught and stored, but not, as far as I can tell, cooked or eaten. They just sit in your food stockpile indefinitely.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 12:05:26 am »

So, for my own peace of mind, hook&line is a replacement for hammer?  I was just wondering what kind of weapon it was supposed to be when I came across a hammer lord wielding an iron hook and line - no hammer on 'im.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 01:58:04 am »

I will check out the fish issue for version 1.2, but I can't replicate it so far. Let me know if anything changes.

Yes, the Mouse Guard world doesn't have hammers - the RPG called for mice with hooks and lines. Since equiping weapons is hardcoded, use hammers of you want your mice to equip hooks and lines.

Version 1.1 out!
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=713

fixes:
Body types of pets, birds
Squirrels now more homicidal
Adventurer mode: Can now play as weasels and vampire bats with skills
Fixed weasels rarely not being hostile to mice
Town mice now more aggressive to Mouse Guard (black axe revolt)
Fixed issue with making arrows
Plump helmet seeds always spawn.
Removed large camels from pet buying
and other minor fixes

EDIT: Damn imageshack makes it blurry, it's actually nicer than this
also Work In Progress:

« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 02:06:49 am by KaelGotDwarves »

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 03:07:58 am »

Yaay, new release!

I don't mind them not having hammers.  It was just strange seeing a mouse called hammer lord and wielding the hook and line.  Not sure why it was hammer lord though.. regular hook and line mice were all over.

Good work on this mod, thank you!

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 03:19:05 am »

If you designate your mice to use crossbows, they'll use slings.

Setting weapons in dwarf mode is hardcoded, so I used that workaround.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 03:25:37 am »

The problem is that the names of Elites cannot be changed.  Regular hammerers might be hook&line mice, but champions will be called Hammer Lords regardless.

Questions, because I'm not familiar with the setting-
Are groundhogs, vermin size squirrels, and suchlike supposed to be there?
Are mice supposed to only have underground farming?
My hares start off with names and can have conversations apparently, but I can butcher them at will.  Seems odd.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 03:30:45 am »

Questions, because I'm not familiar with the setting-
Are groundhogs, vermin size squirrels, and suchlike supposed to be there?
Are mice supposed to only have underground farming?
My hares start off with names and can have conversations apparently, but I can butcher them at will.  Seems odd.
No. Good catch, I phased out a bunch of them but I'm sure I forgot some. All creatures are supposed to be to scale.
I have to do a complete rework of farming, since the setting doesn't call for rat weed and plump helmets.
Will remove butchering of hares for the next version. They're supposed to be helpful pets/mounts.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 06:18:13 pm »

I keep mice in real life and have been trying to get them to sit still long enough to build a fort for AGES.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!
Pages: [1] 2