Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24

Author Topic: Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.  (Read 35932 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.
« Reply #210 on: October 19, 2009, 03:49:30 pm »

You could always run an eco-tourist economy...
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 19, 2009, 04:48:18 pm »

T3 has a button (you need a bank) that lets you "bribe faction leaders". You can bribe individuals, but if you want it quick and easy, the option is there.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 02, 2010, 10:45:03 pm »

I...er...finished hex-editing the tropico.exe file...would anybody be interested in the Drug Wars mod idea for T1? Or not?

If so, I'll get started on creating that new thread and uploading "tropico.exe", just to see if the changes work. If they do work, I'll work on a Phase 2, allowing for you to play as Colombia and get criminals to wire you bribes into your Swiss bank account.

EDIT: Hey, wait a second! I think a few features from T3 have been removed. I remembered reading an LP of T3 that stated that all the indigenous people of Tropico mysteriously disappeared and that instead El Presidente gets to build this an exact replica of the villages where the indigenous people lived, while I quoted this from April 24, 2009:

There will be a section of the island 'owned' by indigenous people (as contrasted with people born on the island called 'native' in T1) living on it. These people are in an "undefined" level of civilization, but live entirely separately (segregated) from the "citizens" of 'Tropico'. The challenge to El Presidente is to
*Integrate them into full citizenship
*Use the army to eliminate them
*Fully respect the boundries of their land (which is rich in resources)
*Nibble away at their land, using the army to control their retaliation (pseudo-rebels?)

What other features in T3 have been removed? Was Multiplayer removed in T3 too?

EDIT2: It was. Huh.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 12:22:07 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 03, 2010, 02:16:20 pm »

I personally prefer the announcer/aide from T1. Especially how he says "So sad."  When you click on a dead person.

T3's radio guy can get annoying at times with his arse kissing.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 03, 2010, 07:01:22 pm »

Of cource he kisses your ass, he can be killed for one hundred bucks easily
Hello Hunam

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 04, 2010, 01:24:21 am »

Of cource he kisses your ass, he can be killed for one hundred bucks easily
I'm sure the people of Tropico would do it for free.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 04, 2010, 03:37:08 am »

I have this game, it's pretty fun.

Except, I wish to be a benevolent hero of the people, but everything the guy on the radio says is blatantly crazy dictator propaganda style.

...Also I kinda suck.  I struggle pretty hard with housing, it's all really big tile- and cost-wise, and everything that looks nice with the surrounding trees and whatever counts as nasty dirty hovels apparently (specifically bunkhouses.  Goddamn, I love bunkhouses).  I tend to make a lot of farms, too, so it'd even worse finding a nice home for way out in the boonies.  Countryhouses are run-down-shack-level, apparently, and normal housing just looks weird in the middle of all the fields and stuff.

Alsoalso, El Residente is an awesome idea.  Fund it.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 04, 2010, 03:40:34 am »

I personally just build tenements, they're cheap and take up minimal space so you can normally get you entire population into them, then some Apartments for the rich people and some houses for the really rich people and you should be ok.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 04, 2010, 04:16:55 pm »

First or third? Because in the first Tropico, I usually build enough bunkhouses for about 120 people, and slap down a couple of apartment complexes as needed. My economy usually takes it quite well, especially with the cost reduction edict from the Russians, which saves you so damn much money, unlike the US version of it. The US one only lowers the cost of power plants and airports. You won't need that many power plants, and you should never, ever, build more than one airport.

Incidentally, the Russians treat you right. The imperialist Americans will invade you if you don't do what they say, but the Russians never attack unless you've allied with them first, in which case you're already doing it right. Even then, the only way to really irritate your communist brothers is to start pandering to the US, and even that's hard without doing it intentionally.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 04, 2010, 04:19:10 pm »

I personally just build tenements, they're cheap and take up minimal space so you can normally get you entire population into them, then some Apartments for the rich people and some houses for the really rich people and you should be ok.

Tenements produce lots of crime though. It's better to have the poor stay in apartments...

Oh, and I'm going to assume that "Drug Wars" isn't really in high demand anymore. Possibly for the best. I don't really remember any Caribbean dictator that actually engaged in the lucrative drug market (although I do recall drug barons acting as though they were Caribbean dictators). I outlined how it could be made, that's likely enough.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 04:21:12 pm by Servant Corps »

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 04, 2010, 05:40:09 pm »

I'm talking third, and I never noticed a crime problem. Sure the area will get a red crime rating if you don't do anything but one or two police stations and the worst you'll see is light yellow in the very worst areas.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Pathos

« Reply #221 on: May 11, 2010, 07:51:32 pm »

So, is it any good, compared to the first Tropico?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 15, 2010, 01:24:52 am »

It's 75% off on Steam right now.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 15, 2010, 02:34:39 am »

I struggle pretty hard with housing, it's all really big tile- and cost-wise, and everything that looks nice with the surrounding trees and whatever counts as nasty dirty hovels apparently (specifically bunkhouses.  Goddamn, I love bunkhouses).  I tend to make a lot of farms, too, so it'd even worse finding a nice home for way out in the boonies.  Countryhouses are run-down-shack-level, apparently, and normal housing just looks weird in the middle of all the fields and stuff.

If you're having population problems, build an Immigration Office and set it to not accept foreign immigrants. This means you can build up a lot of housing with little population increase, and you can also prepare opening the borders again by building more housing than you need.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 15, 2010, 09:39:24 am »

So, is it any good, compared to the first Tropico?

Yes. I'd say better except for the radio person. Even the music is better in my opinion. That one song where the guy meows like a cat and then does a weird laugh got stuck in my head.

The radio announcer was a good idea, but I think they should have had a few recordings for each event, so you don't hear him say the same damn thing over and over. Even a little bit of variation would have gone a long way. I miss the announcer guy from T1 too. (looks at his corpse) Soo sad!

El Presidente's speeches are very amusing though. Also, being able to run El Presidente around your island to increase productivity was a good idea. He can even fight off a small rebellion... with a pistol.

The best thing about T3 is probably the roads system. It really, really, improved how the economy performs in a non-optimally designed island. For instance, in T1, the thing that always ruined my economy was the fucking dockworkers and them not being at the dock to load my exports and receive my cash before the freighter leaves because they decided to build a shack or live in a tenement on the far side of the island by the farms because his wife is a farmer. Since he will be busy with such unimportant things (to me) such as church and feeding himself in addition to the long walk, they tended to allow a large backlog in the docks which means I go below -10,000 in the treasury, which means my military rebelled due to the wage limit. Now, with T3 and a garage with it's free supply of vehicles he merely walks to the garage and drives on the road to the dock where the car disappears. Since the dockworkers are nearly the most important tropicans and at least 70% of your income only comes in when they are working, it's a big difference.

EDIT: Also, you can let the Yanquis nuke your island for $10,000. I never did it, but I have a feeling you can divert it to your Swiss Bank account. In hindsight, what sort of dictator would not do this for his people given the option? Especially minutes before being forcibly evicted from your humble palace? Mutations, tumors, and an early, possibly slow and painful death for all is my parting gift to you, my companeros!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 09:49:32 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24