Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24

Author Topic: Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.  (Read 35919 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2009, 12:16:17 pm »

I fired up Tropico last night...  I'm very pleased that I can play a 50-year game in three hours.  That's a normal full game, and it didn't even eat up my whole night!

Setting up power plants and stuff really is tremendously expensive, and it's still oh my god annoying when your dockworkers at all your docks decide to live on the other side of the island from their job, so you don't end up unloading a single ship in a year, while $300,000 worth of fine jewelry sits on the docks as you go into debt...

However, never holding elections a single time?  Worth it.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2009, 01:19:34 pm »

you are a dictator!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2009, 01:31:28 pm »

Do what you want cause a dictator is free, you are a dictator!

Yar harr fiddle thee swiss bank accout, being a dictator is alright with me. Do what you want cause a dictator is free, you are a dictator!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2009, 01:33:03 pm »

i give elections when people ask them, i don't steal any money and i still do what i want. i am  free and i have a better island than you! muhahaha

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2009, 01:36:52 pm »

Yeah, the balance is seriously broken in favour of democracies. Why can't I be a ruthless dictator and still make money? :'(
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2009, 02:02:04 pm »

Because democracy is ace? It's teaching kids that democracy is good!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2009, 02:08:42 pm »

At least they could've put in a scoring goal where you get points for unhappy citizens. It's much harder to have a large unhappy population than a large happy population anyway, as you're bound to get kicked out via rebel attack/military coup/popular uprising before the end of the game.

You know, someone who's registered at the Tropico 3 forum should suggest this. It'd be trivially easy to implement, so there's a chance they'll do it.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2009, 03:02:11 pm »

Unhappy people are not -desirable- though.  I think scoring is spot on.

And I still think that dictators are balanced.  I screwed up in my last 10-15 years and ran out of food (the hurricane helped).  People were very, very hungry.  My people who WERE previously happy?  Suddenly wanted an election and were 150-100 against me!  But since I never allowed elections anyway, I just got to say "Ha!  Sucks to be you guys!"

I had two rebel uprisings, each were one rebel vs. 15 soldiers.  Also had a coup, 11 loyalists vs 4 disloyals.  Easy peasy.

I'd say that being a dictator is hard if you play it to the hilt.  If you're trying to be a bastard, yeah, it's going to be hard.  But you CAN be a benevolent dictator, and it's quite effective!  The game is mostly a little harder, however it's also easier because you won't suddenly get screwed over one election.  Worth it, for me.

It's only being a bastard that's very hard, and I think that's appropriate enough anyway. 

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2009, 04:44:15 pm »

One thing I need to remember: In Tropico 1, does the USSR collaspe in 1992, or will it stay alive until the end of the game?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2009, 04:51:37 pm »

It sticks around.  There's no meaningful political shifts in the game, they're just not in-scope for the gameplay.  And I find that to be a good thing.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2009, 04:58:27 pm »

Good. I like the Cold War as it is.

One more thing: Other than stopping rebels, what is an army good for?

EDIT: Okay, maybe, two more questions...
*If you are a CIA Agent, and your country becomes very friendly with the Communists and the USSR (and unfriendly with the USA and the Capitalists)...do you still get the funding from the CIA?
*And if you are a KBG Agent and you are friendly with the Capitalists and the USA (and unfriendly with the USSR and the Communists)...do your military units still need a high school diploma?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 05:01:35 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2009, 05:02:03 pm »

Good. I like the Cold War as it is.

One more thing: Other than stopping rebels, what is an army good for?

Isn't it awesome enough to have half your population be AK-toting despotism enforcing? What else would you want from them?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2009, 05:03:54 pm »

It wastes a lot of money. I would rather bribe rebels via tax cuts rather than have to start up a school system or import in people with high school degrees. The Militarist faction really gets on my nerve...

If they help stop crime, maybe they might be useful. As it stands, these lazy hicks are expensive.

What I would like is if the military has more use (you could invade other countries and defend against an invasion by the USA or USSR).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 05:05:25 pm by Servant Corps »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2009, 05:33:54 pm »

Quote from: Servant Corps link=topic=28281.msg524056#msg524056
What I would like is if the military has more use (you could invade other countries and defend against an invasion by the USA or USSR).

lawl

I find it hilarious and perfect, in fact, that if you piss off one country too much, they just park a gunship off your island, and if you piss them off more, it's game over, period.  Because they have bigger guns.  No matter what.

A large military is useful because it can defend against a coup, as well.  Counterproductive?  Whatever you say... :D

Anyway.  It's not THAT expensive.  My generals get like $40/month, tops, and my uneducated soldiers get more like $20, and the militarists love me...plus on a smallish island, with just one armory, that's like 3 generals, and what, 13 soldiers or so?  $320/month?  It's not PEANUTS, but it gives you such a wonderful fuzzy warm feeling of security!

Haven't tried turning against my "installed as operative" country before.  I know the KGB still liked me even when I stopped being close to the USSR...but I built that back up pretty fast.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 06:32:19 pm by Sowelu »

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2009, 05:34:23 pm »

You can invade a country with >100 troops? The max amount of troops I've had at one time was around 50, with an army base and multiple armories.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24