Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24

Author Topic: Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.  (Read 35870 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.
« Reply #300 on: February 07, 2011, 02:40:38 pm »

"Take a car. Take a goddamn fucking car and don't live in a shack at the ass end of nowhere you lazy sonofabitch peons. You are singlehandily bankrupting our economy."

Forum quote of the year IMHO.

Now, how can we add that bug/feature into DF?
"Give us better housing."

I am, you lazy jackasses. I have 3-6 f***ing tenements built atop your shacks. STOP BUILDING MORE SHACKS NEXT TO THE EMPTY TENEMENTS YOU STUPID BASTARDS!!!

Seriously, how many times do I have to destroy a household in order for them to wise up? Oh yeah, and it isn't even that they're broke. They're employed, and still building shacks next to empty tenements and apartment complexes. Mind you, even free housing doesn't help.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 02:43:11 pm by Itnetlolor »

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 07, 2011, 02:58:42 pm »

I rarely have problems with dockworkers or industry in general, and even if dockworkers happen to miss one delivery it's no big deal after a couple of months. I earn ginormous amounts of cash from my weapons exports. Industrial Advertisement is awesome.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 07, 2011, 03:22:16 pm »

"Take a car. Take a goddamn fucking car and don't live in a shack at the ass end of nowhere you lazy sonofabitch peons. You are singlehandily bankrupting our economy."

Forum quote of the year IMHO.

Now, how can we add that bug/feature into DF?
"Give us better housing."

I am, you lazy jackasses. I have 3-6 f***ing tenements built atop your shacks. STOP BUILDING MORE SHACKS NEXT TO THE EMPTY TENEMENTS YOU STUPID BASTARDS!!!

Seriously, how many times do I have to destroy a household in order for them to wise up? Oh yeah, and it isn't even that they're broke. They're employed, and still building shacks next to empty tenements and apartment complexes. Mind you, even free housing doesn't help.
I think you're doing something wrong but I never have this problem. The price of housing can be 1/3 of the household income.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 07, 2011, 07:08:20 pm »

I rarely have problems with dockworkers or industry in general, and even if dockworkers happen to miss one delivery it's no big deal after a couple of months. I earn ginormous amounts of cash from my weapons exports. Industrial Advertisement is awesome.

Speaking of which, are weapons factories actually good? I looked at them and said, "Hmm... so, a factory based around a depletable resource that also annoys the factions. I'll pass." But if they make ginormous amounts of money, I might have to reconsider.  ;D

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 07, 2011, 07:21:38 pm »

I'm not sure why so many people are having this issue with people building shacks in the middle of nowhere and not moving into apartments.  I ran with free housing for a while, but I finally ditched it when I started building actual housing and apartments to compliment my five tenements.  Not to generate revenue mind you, you'll never recoup much money with housing rent, but just to enforce some kind of control over who lives where, so the factory workers have something to spend their money on and feel good about themselves.  Of course, I'm not heartless enough to raise the apartment rent so high that a farmer-family can't buy their way in too, but it all works.

Of course, a good third of the island still lives in shacks, but at least the shacks all cluster around where they work.  Too much so even, building shacks in the farm fields and mine-pit.  Dammit people, why would even want to built it there, instead of across the street?  I'd build moar tenements, but ever since I built the cannery I haven't been able to make my finances climb more than they're dropping.  Even with two teamster offices, all my produce and lumber is sitting in the farms.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #305 on: February 07, 2011, 07:30:16 pm »

My recent game, it took 3 years for my lazy-ass teamsters to finally deliver 500 units of product to the docks, and at least half of that was sitting in the farms for a minimum of half the time.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 07, 2011, 09:08:02 pm »

Rebels keep killing me because my lame ass military doesn't know how to group together before charging them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 07, 2011, 10:00:23 pm »

Whatcha guys thing is the best Tropico?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 07, 2011, 10:14:22 pm »

Rebels keep killing me because my lame ass military doesn't know how to group together before charging them.

I think the better question is, why are you being attacked by rebels in the first place?  It's 1965, and I have a whopping two rebels camped out in the woods somewhere, even with the "Rebel Yell" thing on.  And believe me, I'm making no great pains to keep people happy.  Except for holding free elections when they demand them I guess, but I won a natural 81% last time.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #309 on: February 07, 2011, 10:33:07 pm »

My advice is to setup an armory in the middle of the town, and setup camps near the high-risk buildings first, and corners second.

If competence is the main issue, go spec-ops on your bases.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 07, 2011, 10:48:01 pm »

I think the better question is, why are you being attacked by rebels in the first place?  It's 1965, and I have a whopping two rebels camped out in the woods somewhere, even with the "Rebel Yell" thing on.  And believe me, I'm making no great pains to keep people happy.  Except for holding free elections when they demand them I guess, but I won a natural 81% last time.
Let's just say my islands aren't the happiest places ever *cough* 41% population happy*cough*

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 08, 2011, 01:12:51 am »

Let's just say my islands aren't the happiest places ever *cough* 41% population happy*cough*

That's not too low. Sure, you won't win any awards for "Most satisfied populace", but 41% is pretty decent, especially for the early game.  :D

The real challenge is making sure that your 41% isn't the average of an 82% and a 0%. A person's happiness depends on a few stats that they really care about; if, by sheer coincidence, a given person really cares about the couple of places your happiness is low, then you may get a rebel despite high overall happiness. I generally try to keep all the happiness stats above ~30%, and I've never had a rebel without dipping below that threshold.

(Feel free to correct me if it's actually Respect that causes rebels, or something. Of course, for me it's always Religion that dips low early on, and that means I usually have pathetic Religion Quality at the same time I attract the ire of the religious faction - hence, it's kind of hard to tell which stat was the cause.  :-[ )

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #312 on: February 08, 2011, 01:18:51 am »

I think it's a combo of happiness and respect. Either dips below 25% on an individual (especially 2 of 3 *ed interests), they're hostile until killed or amnesty reaches them. This requires things being at least 2x-3x better than it was previously, and then bribe them with amnesty. If you're confident in your military, I say it's cheaper to kill them in one of their raids; plus, free advertising for your mighty military.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 08, 2011, 01:49:16 am »

I think it's a combo of happiness and respect. Either dips below 25% on an individual (especially 2 of 3 *ed interests), they're hostile until killed or amnesty reaches them. This requires things being at least 2x-3x better than it was previously, and then bribe them with amnesty. If you're confident in your military, I say it's cheaper to kill them in one of their raids; plus, free advertising for your mighty military.

I was wondering if rebelling was respect-based or happiness-based - that helps. Thanks!  :D

Now, for a real challenge: what causes the rebels to attack (short of luring them with the edict)? My last game, I had one guy rebel early on (heck, he rebelled before I got my first protest), and ten years later, having had no other rebels flee, I remembered about him and granted amnesty. But that was after ten years of him being a rebel. Do they not attack if they don't have a chance of winning, or something?

Moreover, what was that one guy doing, alone in the jungle, for the last ten years? Seriously, mate: you fled to the jungle because I hadn't build a church and you didn't have a house. How was living in the jungle an improvement in either of these statistics?  ::)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 08, 2011, 02:47:25 am »

Yeah, my funds dropped into the -20,000 range when I started building factories, because there's not enough people to staff my workplaces (which is bullshit, since I've got 250 people and like 150 jobs. Where the hell are they going?) and I'm losing more money fast. I privatized and made a whopping 100,000 immediately but even that's dried up. I need to economize.

Also, I love the weapons factory description. Especially considering the hulabaloo concerning tubes at the beginning of the War on Terror. I'm surprised they don't accuse you of building WMDs (outside of that one mission).
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24