Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24

Author Topic: Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.  (Read 35881 times)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 01:51:49 pm »

Toadico ftw.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 01:58:32 pm »

It's actually a little surprising that no indie developers (as far as I know) have run with this idea. There's got to be some joy in making a Tropico-like dictator-simulation game.

By the way, please post to their boards, if you can? I'm getting lonely over there. 
:-\
For they would be your masters.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 08:35:39 pm »

Tropico was a very awesome game. I never could hang on to the leadership position long enough, though. Seems like I'm too cruel of a dictator. As for Tropico 3, I don't know if I want to let my expectations balloon up. It might end up a mediocre game, and then my poor expectations would be crushed into juice, and I would bemoan the lack of good dictator-ruler games in the world.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 09:57:33 pm »

I would bemoan the lack of good dictator-ruler games in the world.

There definitely aren't enough. Sometimes, I just need to get my 'El Presidente' on...

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 09:24:41 am »

I'm hoping (as I hope for every sequal) that they'll basically just recreate the original game, and add on to it, rather than going off in some half-assed direction.

More is good. Better (when directly quantifiable) is good. Different is...not always so good.
Different is not always better, but better is always different.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 10:05:14 am »

Thanks for reminding me I have Tropico + Paradise Island. Man, I haven't played this in ages.

Anyway, from the screenshots on the official site it's clear they're returning to the 20th century dictatorship theme, which is excellent news. Tropico 3 should have the original's atmosphere, but I won't mind if they change the gameplay (as long as change doesn't mean dumbing it down).
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 11:32:15 am »

in tropico, i could stay as leader as mch as i wanted. because i was a good president who cared about the island, gave cheap houses to everybody, attracted tourists, built industries and didn't steal(unless for some reason i was trying to get an higher score, but i prefere being able to spend that money on the island), built schools and univeristies, churces and such.
after my first time playing, i didn't even have to cheat at elections, unelss i actively tryed to make people hate me
but maybe it was just because of some setting that made the game easyer. can't remember.

also, as hard as i tryed, i couldn't ever see a rebel!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2009, 12:59:44 pm »

You'll almost never see rebels unless you are A) playing really high difficulty, or B) say "No elections!".  And it's only really viable to do THAT when your very first 'term' ends, because otherwise they'll expect democracy too much and you'll lose like half your population on the spot, or suffer a coup from people who aren't even rebels.

You can also get rebels if you plunk down a ton of military in preparation of turning off elections, and enact "No one gets out of here alive" at the immigration office.  In that case, it's mostly well-educated professors who will take off--they weight liberty at 10 frequently--and sometimes they have sufficient courage for it.  You have to be very careful and arrest people proactively...liberty-lovers who are brave, well, you might not even want to wait until they start to protest...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2009, 01:21:45 pm »

thanks for the advices, might try it a day.

i prefere a nice, peaceful and rich island though.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 10:31:35 pm »

I kind of do too. Part of the appeal Tropico holds for me is that, at the same time it's a game, it's also vaguely like taking a (virtual) mini-vacation.

Not too many games provide that feeling of real, actual, escape. Usually, the more fun they are, the more stressful they can be at the same time.

Tropico provides that strategic planning stimulation I crave, while at the same time, unties the knots in my neck.

And even though I don't smoke, and rarely drink, while playing the game I'll sometimes find myself craving a really fine cigar and a tumbler of mango rum. 

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2009, 07:18:41 am »

They need to make an expansion pack: El Residente. You're a lowly citizen trying to usurp the current dictatorial ruler. The dictator clings to power but nobody dares to oppose him. As you work you amass money. You sway people... You start a rebellion...

Your goal is to stop being El Residente. You want to be El Presidente!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2009, 12:53:15 pm »

They need to make an expansion pack: El Residente. You're a lowly citizen trying to usurp the current dictatorial ruler. The dictator clings to power but nobody dares to oppose him. As you work you amass money. You sway people... You start a rebellion...

Your goal is to stop being El Residente. You want to be El Presidente!

I like the name and idea, but what has George Lucas taught us about prequels?  ;)

Not that you were saying it has to be a prequel, of course.

I was always in the same boat as Andrea (which, incidentally, is my sisters name). I played sandbox maps where the goal was to make the people as happy as possible, so I never saw rebels. I did play as a military leaning dictator though, but it was early before I understood how to make money properly, so my military was weak and never around to fend off the rebels.

How does one go about separating tourism spots from island native residences/industry? I mean they gotta go to work in the tourist spots, so they have to be near it right? I have the hardest time running industry and tourism. How do you build on like, the other side of the island too? Usually people have to walk over there just to build the dock. =P

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2009, 02:28:11 pm »

i usually keep between hotels/beaches and main villages the restourants and similar, that don't suffer much from that position.

about industry, in later stages of the game, that is what i do: i just plan a totally new village, focusing on one industry: builder thing, houses, restaurant, market, church, even school if it is far from the other ones, radio, TV, everything. i plan it, and then let builders build. it take awfully long, but at the end you have a nice village.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2009, 09:20:27 pm »

I love Tropico Mucho Macho Edition.
So, does your dungeon serve natural gruel or imitation gruel?
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2009, 03:34:59 pm »

I like the name and idea, but what has George Lucas taught us about prequels?  ;)

Don't let George Lucas direct them?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24