Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Furniture as starting goods!  (Read 2577 times)

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
Furniture as starting goods!
« on: December 26, 2007, 01:41:00 pm »

Well, why not? Starting with some beds, cabinets, etc. Makes it easier playing "1 starting dwarf" games...

sorbius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Furniture as starting goods!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 02:17:00 pm »

good idea.  The furniture would cost more then logs, but that's the price you pay for convience.
keepin' it real for atleast the last 5 minutes.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 02:19:00 pm »

Even better, flatpack furniture :P
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 02:56:00 pm »

Seconded.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 03:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tamren:
<STRONG>Even better, flatpack furniture :P</STRONG>

lmao.

"Hey Urist! Did you bring the Allen key?"
"Errr ..."

Dwarf cancels assemble furniture: gone to IKEA.

000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 04:26:00 am »

Is this realistic?  I mean, can you imagine trying to haul your bed across the country via covered wagon?  Either you'd have to put the bed in the wagon, thereby displacing everything else that should also go in there, or carry the thing yourself.  I think that even a dwarf would balk at trying to haul a heavy piece of furniture tens or hundreds of miles to their new home!  From personal experience, I can say that just hauling the thing up a flight of stairs and around a corner is hard enough.  :D

Perhaps the embark wagons should have a weight limit, just like the caravans do?  Then if you wanted to go with too much stuff, you'd either have to leave some of it behind, or buy extra wagons and pack animals.

If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Luckymoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 05:46:00 am »

The pioneers hauled bigger furniture to Oregon. So why can't some super tough Dwarfs do it?

sorbius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 09:54:00 am »

one dwarf has no problem RUNNING up 5 or 6 flights of stairs with a bed I doubt it would be an issue to have them walk along with the wagon carrying them
also that wagon is huge. it holds over 50 barrels of food and drink.  on a serious note the beds could be transferred in the wagon in pieces which would only take up as much space as one unit of wood (since the bed is made out of one unit of wood) and you can carry a TON of wood.
keepin' it real for atleast the last 5 minutes.

Yat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 01:00:00 pm »

Dwarf makes himself an artifact cabinet or coffin or something out of lead and he proudly hauls that thing around. As for the wagon it seems to have unlimited storage capacity so keeping furniture in there should be no concern.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 03:25:00 pm »

Someone suggested that you should get nothing for free when you customize the embark contents, and instead get 5000 points or so and choose the number of wagons and dwarves etc yourself. That sounds like it'd make carrying all that stuff plausible.

As for the actual suggestion, sure. Though it's not all that time-consuming to make the things yourself, so personally I'd still go with the raw materials.

My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

briktal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 04:15:00 pm »

Well, I think some of you guys need to keep in mind that this isn't just "also let's throw a few beds on the wagon."  I mean, currently the wagon potentially brings dozens of barrels of food/drink, many logs that could be used to make furniture, an anvil, and even stone blocks.

Pesty13480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 05:23:00 pm »

I wouldn't mind this idea, as carrying a bed isn't quite as bad as carry ten tons of stone blocks with you.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 05:31:00 pm »

We must remember that in the 2d version the eighth dwarf happily hauled an IRON ANVIL to your little deathtrap from the mountainhomes which if I recall the intro correctly was a year away.

I don't think they would have much trouble with a piddly little bed or the odd gold statue.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Yat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 11:45:00 pm »

Usually to drop it at the edge of the map when he saw a dreaded deer walking around. So close, yet so far

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 07:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Yat:
<STRONG>Usually to drop it at the edge of the map when he saw a dreaded deer walking around. So close, yet so far</STRONG>

So that's why the dwarves always found the anvil out in the middle of nowhere! I was wondering why 9 times out of 10 it never made it to my gate.

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside