Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Auto dig seams  (Read 2628 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Auto dig seams
« on: December 05, 2008, 11:49:05 pm »

There should be an option to follow seams, so if your dwarves find an iron vein the immediately mine it out and all the iron ore behind it. This saves people from designating again and again to dig out the iron without a ton of useless rock.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Auto dig seams
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 01:01:41 am »

Bloat218, VEIN MINING OPTION, (Future): Ability to designate a metal vein for digging. They'd keep mining out the same kind of metal in adjacent squares as they uncover them.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 01:40:38 am »

I thought so. But I'll be damned if I'm going to trawl through the bloats for ages before posting. I'm lazy that way.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 03:37:32 am »

I thought so. But I'll be damned if I'm going to trawl through the bloats for ages before posting. I'm lazy that way.

Yeah, trying to find stuff in the sectioned dev pages is annoying.  That's what Consolidated dev page + Ctrl+F is for.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 03:53:02 am »

Stop making sense! It makes me look bad!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 11:26:38 am »

Stop making sense! It makes me look bad!

Nah, THIS makes you look bad...

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 02:36:44 pm »

This would be nice. The only problem would be if you uncovered a vein of hematite, your dwarves kept mining it, and then you stopped paying attention and next thing you know they've burrowed into another section of your fortress, or into the space you were planning to put a multi-story dining room in.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 04:51:13 pm »

It'll probably ne an option you can switch on and off

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 06:53:34 pm »

This would be nice. The only problem would be if you uncovered a vein of hematite, your dwarves kept mining it, and then you stopped paying attention and next thing you know they've burrowed into another section of your fortress, or into the space you were planning to put a multi-story dining room in.

Any "auto dig" designation will probably be accompanied by a "forbid auto dig" designation

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 07:21:10 pm »

precisely.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 07:38:16 pm »

I'd do it like this, under the designation menu theirs a "Mine Mineral" option, you then create a box just like any other designation.  When the box is completed a final menu appears with lists of minerals, any minerals visible to you in the designated area will be at the top of the list so for example your Hematite vein in Limestone shows both Hematite and Limestone at the top of the list for convenience but all the other minerals and gems can be found in the list along with macro groupings like Stone, Ore, Gems and Soil.  Each mineral or group can be toggled to highlight it individually. 

Once the player accepts the designation  goes into effect and begins to resolve, any tile in the designation that is not of the desired mineral un-designates automatically and a tile which is a valid mineral becomes a mine designation.  An unrevealed tile remains in the "Mine mineral" state and remembers the mineral choices you made, as soon as it is revealed it resolves the same way.  This ensures that mining can not proceed beyond the designated area without any additional designations being needed.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 08:21:41 pm »

^^^ That's a pretty complicated interface for a designation, and unlike the basic idea of "auto dig vein" it doesn't save the player much effort, unless you're trying to do something bizarre like dig out the entire map. 

For the "forbid auto dig," yeah, that would probably be necessary.  It might work well as an "invisible" designation that only shows up when you upon the designation menu.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 10:31:19 am »

I'm just concerned about cave-ins....  It'd be just like DF to have dwarves get greedy and fail to check and collapse your hole cave...

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 02:51:07 pm »

I'm just concerned about cave-ins....  It'd be just like DF to have dwarves get greedy and fail to check and collapse your hole cave...
Cave-ins only happen now if you screw up with designating what to mine/channel/whatever (or if you want it to happen, of course).  As long as something is connected to some sort of support somewhere, it'll stay up.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 03:43:57 pm »

now being the operative word
Pages: [1] 2