Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Final soultion to the Noble Problem  (Read 6114 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Final soultion to the Noble Problem
« on: December 05, 2008, 01:33:14 pm »

I am tired of seeing nobles get killed off by Drawf Fortress Players. The reason is because nobles have no point. Until nobles get beniefts, I propose this as a fix...

All nobles give drawves 'postive thoughts'. Since nobles are competent and heroic beings who do greatness, at least according to Drawves (if not, you know, to the player), the Drawves are happy to be led by such nobles, and will continue to be happy due to seeing the nobles do their duty in coming up with mandates.

There. Nobles made useful now. Since nobles make drawves happy, you are more likely to make them happy.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Final soultion to the Noble Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 02:18:41 pm »

Other solutions include making them have useful skills (like the Dungeon Master) so that they are actually productive

Or having their presence allow things like more caravans, military expeditions, creation of higher-end goods, or whatever.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 02:21:00 pm »

yes, right. there is a reason if people try to keep a dungeon master but keep killing other nobles

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 03:12:30 pm »

Disagree. Nobles should be a challenge to appease, and if you fail they will exert their wrath upon your hapless dwarves.  To fix the problem, the penalty for killing nobles (or allowing them to die) needs to be increased.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 03:17:18 pm »

Nobles should have a function. They need a reason to be there. Insane projects are the player's purview.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 03:18:36 pm »

This would only work if the most drastic mandates are removed.  If a duke keeps having your citizens hammered to death because you didn't give him three adamantine statues, he's going to wind up taking a lava bath no matter how useful he is.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 03:37:09 pm »

Nah, leave them in. You should have to choose between hammerings and potentially pissing off the Mountainhome. 

Economic benefits of having nobles are also acceptable/plausible, but regardless of whether nobles are beneficial, you shouldn't easily be able to get away with serially murdering the upper-class.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 06:29:58 pm »

Damn the mountainhome, if they comes to siege if I kills the nobles off, then it'll just mean more metal to feed my industries. Though honestly, I just dump the Hammerer's hammer, and do away with jails. Haven't had another death due to beating or hammering since then. Nobles are pretty pointless ( Other than philsopher and dungeon master, of course ) and I doubt making them more benefital would help if they keep demanding insane things and doling out harsh sentences half the time their demands aren't met. Just my two cents... Nobles are naturally useless and damanging to your own fortress once it goes past Dungeon Master currently, and I don't foresee them being any better in future with similar demand and abuse they have now!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 06:49:05 pm »

Nobles will/should have more of a function once the "interaction with the outside world" bits of development start. At that point, being the capital of a barony/county/dukedom/civilization would actually matter.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Nivekthegreat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 06:52:40 pm »

When you said final solution I had a way different though in my head. Though I have to say I like this idea much better.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 07:19:32 pm »

A few things I'd do.

A happy noble causes happy thoughts in all dwarfs, an unhappy noble gives unhappy thoughts.
Satisfying a mandate gives the noble a happy though and thus it can 'trickle down' to everyone else.
The death of a noble causes a crushing happiness loss to your whole fort.
Assassins will try to infiltrate the fort and kill the nobles, the royal guard will actually stay close to the nobles and protect them from these assassins.
Nobles should not migrate in but be selected from among your dwarfs based on seniority and age.

Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 07:23:20 pm »

A few things I'd do.

A happy noble causes happy thoughts in all dwarfs, an unhappy noble gives unhappy thoughts.
Satisfying a mandate gives the noble a happy though and thus it can 'trickle down' to everyone else.
The death of a noble causes a crushing happiness loss to your whole fort.
Assassins will try to infiltrate the fort and kill the nobles, the royal guard will actually stay close to the nobles and protect them from these assassins.
Nobles should not migrate in but be selected from among your dwarfs based on seniority and age.

Good idea! At least it beats the other ideas...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 07:35:03 pm »

A nobles' happiness shouldn't directly affect the happiness of the population. That's some weird hivemind stuff right there.

If a noble is unhappy, it should affect the other dwarves for actual honest-to-god reasons. For instance, he could make more mandates/demands, get angry with people, start fights, sentence people to punishments for petty things, etc.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 07:51:00 pm »

A nobles' happiness shouldn't directly affect the happiness of the population. That's some weird hivemind stuff right there.

If a noble is unhappy, it should affect the other dwarves for actual honest-to-god reasons. For instance, he could make more mandates/demands, get angry with people, start fights, sentence people to punishments for petty things, etc.
That does nothing to fix the problem. The OP is looking for ways to make people want their nobles to survive and be happy, instead of seeing them as a problem to work around.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 10:41:38 pm »

I think he was just talking about the idea of a happy noble giving the fort happy thoughts.  Instead, a happy noble should do things that gives the fort happy thoughts, rather than just psychically beaming happy rays at everybody.  And the same for unhappiness.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4