Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Slavery in DF  (Read 3786 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slavery in DF
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 03:27:44 pm »

All jobs except for hunting and fishing are generated from a building of some sort. For Dwarf Fortress's purposes, a building can be a workshop, stockpile, a designated construction such as a wall or bridge, or anything else selectable with the view building commands. Only members of your civ can do jobs from a building, but anyone can hunt or fish since those jobs are generated from the creature. I think you might be able to train weapon skills if you remove the pet tag and set them to use a weapon and then hunt.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Majorlag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 09:17:31 pm »

So not to hijack the thread or anything, but I've spent some time trying to find ways to sell a dwarf in a cage (caught via cave-in + cage trap method) so I can start a slave trading fort. Of course no matter what I do he is ejected from the cage as soon as it gets picked up to go to a depot. As long as it isn't going to a depot he remains in the cage though. I tested, and it is the same for goblins. I can drag goblins between cages by the hair (or however its done), but as soon as you try and bring a cage to a depot they escape.

As mentioned here, I thought the SLAVERY ethic might be involved, but of course it isn't. Does anyone know what causes creatures to escape if they are headed for the depot? Is it hard coded for all [INTELLIGENT]s?
The True Adventures of ___________

Insight into the minds of Dwarf Fortress Players - Random Quote of the Month:
He once spent a week visiting a cave in which there lived seven giants.  Each day, he would come in, track down each of the giants, and beat it to the point of unconsciousness.

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 09:28:46 pm »

What about woodcutting ? That's not controlled by a building, is it ?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 10:46:34 pm »

What about woodcutting ? That's not controlled by a building, is it ?

I don't think you can get them to pick up an axe, though.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Zeful

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 01:10:03 am »

I think it'd be easier to make a new building for [Slavery] Ethic races that turns [Intelligent] creatures to Slaves.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 07:57:56 pm »

I embarked with some Gremlins to test this sort of thing out, and found it was possible to recruit them into the military, though they don't seem to appear on the military menu, and you don't seem to be able to station them, making your Gremlin Wrestler army almost entirely useless.

I was dreaming of a fortress protected by expendable Gremlin karate masters, too.

But it IS possible for different creatures to be members of the same civilization. We see this a lot in the world generation, and some people have had Megabeasts show up in place of kings, but it probably won't happen in fortress mode, on purpose anyway, until the next update.

We have the creature polymorphism, right? We could make a civilization in which there exist the three primary races in Dwarf Fortress, dwarves, humans, elves, and if I've read everything that is involved with the polymorphism changes right, make it only possible for dwarves to breed with dwarves, and so on. Then the only problem would be changes to the embark screen to determine how you embark with them.

The only thing left would be to take off all the menial tasks such as hauling, cleaning, and first aid from the dwarf morph, and make them the only tasks available to the humans and elves. Voila, slave equivilants.
!!&!!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 10:08:32 pm »

wait...i can have a dragon as a king? can he breath fire?

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 11:48:34 pm »

wait...i can have a dragon as a king? can he breath fire?

Finally a reason to fill a noble's mandates...
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 12:18:37 am »

still want an answer. good reason to make the kings room near the entrance

Deathbane

• Bay Watcher
  • Unus volatilis angelus, aeria gloriis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 06:06:43 pm »

Only if you use dwarf companion, it cant be modded via the raws :P
Creator of the Chaos Reigns and Age of Heroes modifications.

Developer of the Adventurer Roleplaying game system, assistance required!

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46859.0
Pages: 1 [2]