Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Slavery in DF  (Read 3783 times)

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Slavery in DF
« on: December 05, 2008, 12:48:45 pm »

after a long hiatus, I've finally come back to Dwarf Fortress. Now I've been looking at something I've never done before; edit the game to my own ideas. With the help of the wiki many simple things are pretty easy so far.

But one of the things I've been thinking about is the ability to enslave captured enemies, pretty much in the same way you can train captured animals to be pets. I guess it's pretty evil and maybe not very dwarflike, but I think it'd be pretty interesting. Anyway; if the Romans could do it, my dwarves should have no problems with it! :P

What I'm not sure about, is how to do it. Is it simple a matter of adding the [PET] tag to the creature so it can be trained? If so, how does this affect the creature's behavior? Since we're talking about [INTELLIGENT] creatures here (goblins, humans, elves, even other dwarves), will they be able to perform jobs and learn skills like they would otherwise, or will they act like normal pets? And how does being a 'tamed pet' affect creatures' ability to be assigned clothes/armour/weapons?

It's be pretty sweet if you could use slaves in your army. Or maybe just use slaves for menial no-skill jobs like hauling and cleaning. Or anything, really. Like I said, if the Romans used slaves for almost anything, my Dwarves won't object either.

If the slaves act like normal pets, it becomes less interesting... and probably even a little creepy... After training an intelligent creature would suddenly have the mind of a dog. I guess in that case it'd be more of a flavour thing. Though I suppose adding the [trAINABLE] tag would give at least the illusion of having a slave army and would get at least some use out of them, assuming it'll work.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slavery in DF
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 02:41:18 pm »

Unfortunately, taming intelligent creatures lobotomizes them. Actually, so long as they can speak (which INTELLIGENT implies) they'll continue to socialize and gain skill ranks (Legendary Comedian is over 9000!), they just can't be assigned jobs.

They CAN hunt, however, in the presence of certain other not-well-understood tags (gremlins occasionally show up in goblin fortresses...).

They'll also gain wrestler skill from fighting, I think...

But no, no slave carpenters or masons.

Dhargk

• Bay Watcher
  • Free hugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 04:12:43 pm »

They CAN hunt, however, in the presence of certain other not-well-understood tags (gremlins occasionally show up in goblin fortresses...).

From what I've heard it's because something that's not a part of your civilization can't access buildings for jobs, but hunting and fishing aren't generated from a building.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 09:09:58 pm »

A note; the [SLAVERY] ethic seems to be for fluff/goblins, and will not allow your dwarves to make or take slaves.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 12:14:51 am »

It's not exactly Fluff. It just only matters during World Gen. If you give a Dwarven Civ the Slavery ethic you may end up with dwarven settlements that have human slaves or whatnot. It's just that you probably won't see any of them in your own fort, since most migrants pop into existence at your fortress rather then coming from established entities.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 04:03:39 am »

Unfortunately, taming intelligent creatures lobotomizes them. Actually, so long as they can speak (which INTELLIGENT implies) they'll continue to socialize and gain skill ranks (Legendary Comedian is over 9000!), they just can't be assigned jobs.

They'll also gain wrestler skill from fighting, I think...

But no, no slave carpenters or masons.
That's a shame... ah well, I suppose having some elves leashed up as guard dogs is good for a laugh or two as well. :P

From what I've heard it's because something that's not a part of your civilization can't access buildings for jobs, but hunting and fishing aren't generated from a building.
Would that imply they can do any job that doesn't require a building? What about hauling jobs? Or do stockpiles count as buildings for this?

A note; the [SLAVERY] ethic seems to be for fluff/goblins, and will not allow your dwarves to make or take slaves.
It's not exactly Fluff. It just only matters during World Gen. If you give a Dwarven Civ the Slavery ethic you may end up with dwarven settlements that have human slaves or whatnot. It's just that you probably won't see any of them in your own fort, since most migrants pop into existence at your fortress rather then coming from established entities.
Yeah, I already figured out that didn't really do anything ingame... Ah well, maybe something to look forward to in the far future of the game. ;D

Jurassiced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 04:15:52 pm »

you can add [PET] then [trAINABLE] but they act just like animals and such
POKHOMME http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=84 Race mod im working on.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 08:06:10 pm »

Adding [BABYSNATCHER] will allow them to steal babies from other races, though, but only during world gen. Still doesn't give you a multi-racial fortress mode fort, but if will result in multi-racial mountain halls in adventure mode.

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 07:55:21 am »

Heh, just noticed something:

Do NOT add [PET] to the race you're playing as. If you do all migrants who arrive at your fortress will act like tamed animals and cannot be given jobs.

Jurassiced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 01:12:16 pm »

told you  ;D
POKHOMME http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=84 Race mod im working on.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 03:44:03 pm »

Heh, just noticed something:

Do NOT add [PET] to the race you're playing as. If you do all migrants who arrive at your fortress will act like tamed animals and cannot be given jobs.

That might be a good idea for people wanting to run original 7 challenge forts...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 09:54:40 pm »

whoa....does that mean you could butcher them an dmake dwarf leather earrings and stuff?

"Urist McDwarf has been deperessed latley, he has drank from the skull of his brother lately"

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 03:37:58 am »

whoa....does that mean you could butcher them an dmake dwarf leather earrings and stuff?

"Urist McDwarf has been deperessed latley, he has drank from the skull of his brother lately"

RIFK.

My thoughts exactly!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 09:43:23 am »

Hmm.. wait, if that's true, then wouldn't it be possible for a slave "mason" or "carpenter" to construct walls? Or does that count as accessing buildings? I use a lot of my workforce to construct things anyway, and move around stuff. Slaves would be great for that.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 10:40:57 am »

I've never heard of slave races moving items from stockpiles, building things, or disassembling things. However, I don't know of anyone who has done an explicit test - you should try it yourself I guess.
Pages: [1] 2