Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: trouble recruiting players  (Read 4799 times)

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
Re: trouble recruiting players
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 04:12:36 pm »

I just built my friend a new quadcore system with 8 gigs of ram and I actually got him to play DF simply by telling him that it would choke his system to a halt. He's kind of a nerd that way.

My other friend I got to play, well I just made him read Boatmurdered while he was bored and that was that. You have to know their weaknesses.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 05:51:08 pm »

I tried to get a friend into dwarf fortress, he likes deep complex details in games and he was the one who turned me on to my first ASCII game (hengband).  But for some reason he won't touch anything DF related with a ten foot pole.  I link him to funny posts that barely has anything to do with it and he won't touch it because of the bay12games in front of the link.  He never even played the game and refuses to.

He claims he hates anything indie, and hates dwarves.

He likes to write so maybe if I get him to read boatmurdered.  But it will likely just result in him hissing and disappearing back into his Nippon Ichi cave instead of reading it.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 06:05:42 pm »

I tried to get two of my friends to play. One of them never got the hang of it and preferred to watch me play.
The other is too busy building his own games to try DF, which is a shame, because I feel like the game would be a perfect match.

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 06:28:33 pm »

I showed my freind it, he was intrested in it at first, but the difficulty curve pwn3d him, so he gave up. Fair enough, all of his fortresses ended in skeletal carp related slaughter.

Ugh. I hate people like Friend #2.

"So you heard about Team Fortress 2?"

"Uh... Yeah! I beat that game on the hardest difficulty! I even beat the final boss without using the special item!"

I hope he meant that he managed to beat a game of Goldrush/Badwater while his team was composed entirely of babies/noobs/both and the other team was a clansatck of epic players. The final boss must be him pushing the cart all by himself to the final terminus (MUWAHAHAHAHAHA!) and the special item must be his weapon. In that case, he's awesome. But I strongly doubt he meant that.

I like to trick my freinds to see whether they've played it.

"Hey, have you every Played Counter-Strike?" - Me
"Yeah, it's awesome, I've finished it!" - My freind, about to be pwn3d
"Did you finish the level with the Aliens at the end?" - Me, preparing the punchline
"Pah, that's easy!" - My freind, proving that he's about to be pwn3d
"Are you aware that Counter-Stike is an Online only shooter with no levels, storyline or ability to "finish"?" - Me
"OH SHI-" - Freind.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 06:37:02 pm »

I have this great friend who i was POSITIVE would enjoy DF.

I mean yeah, he's bald, still lives with his mom, can't read or write, has terrible grammar, hasn't gone to school, occasionally craps himself, and is absolutely engrossed in toys and games when not eating and sleeping.

So he's just like the average DF player, I thought it would be like a fish in water, but i can't even get him to look at it. He would much rather play with his blocks.

damn babies.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 06:45:14 pm »

Just talk about the game.  Don't try to convert them.  Don't tell them to download it, don't even try to get them to read any stories.  If you're talking about games, tell them about something fun you did. 

Say something like, "Oh yeah, that's like the time I <tried to build an aqueduct but it flooded my whole fortress | cut off a goblins hand but he got away | had a blind wrestler who refused to take the bolt out of his eyes | my mayor was unhappy even though she had 12 kids, beacuse she miscarried the unlucky 13th>"

Nothings worse than a forced indoctrination.  But hearing someone you know be actually excited by fun, bizarre stories will peak interest. 

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 06:53:08 pm »

Yeah, my friends basically get all my Dwarf Fortress references now because I've been talking about it quite frequently over the last four years.  However, I've never pushed them into playing it, and when anyone else asks me about it, I tell them, "Oh its Dwarf Fortress, you probably won't like it seeing as its crazy complex and has no graphics."  Which is completely true.  There's no point in trying to force someone into a game they probably won't like.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2008, 07:00:45 pm »

I got into the game through random broswing, so I'd say just talk about it, and show what you and other players' done with the game, maybe some of the nice mods and graphic packs too. And do it to the buddies that don't bullshits about games they've "played".  ;D But yes, don't force them into it, let their curiousity lead them into it rather than you pushing them down the pit to meet it. Forced indoctrination is no-no, it should be the person that goes to the thing, rather than the thing being forced onto the person! ( Exceptions may applies, but not to games and few other things )

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2008, 07:23:23 pm »

so, i've been playing this for a while, and i thought i'd get some friends to try to play.

person/friend one:
friend likes halo, and any other shooter. likes graphical games, but will get easily addicted to flash games.
totally rejects game on seeing ASCII, won't even try graphic pack.

person/friend two:
friend is barely passing chem, likes action.
says he's played it, but then he says he's made it to "level 5". the game doen't even have levels, but he says he has the "full version", which he got at future shop (he's obviosly lieing). on bieng sent a (very virus free) copy, he says his computer says it has 3 viruses.

what player recruiting techniqes do you sugjest?

Why bother on people like that?

It takes a special kind of person to enjoy dwarf fortress.  By "special," I mean absolutely nuts.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2008, 07:36:11 pm »

When I try to explain to them the joy of ripping people apart and beating them down with their own arms, then picking up a kid's corpse and hurling it like a football into his mother, blowing her in two, while impaling the guards throwing sharp objects left and right, gouging out the eyes of sleeping people and then throwing their eyes at their spouse, carrying about severed trophy heads, running entire colonies off of dead kittens and puppies as well as seized goods and more booze than you could ever consume in one lifetime, knowing the practicalities of genocide and just how edible pets are, and finally cheering as my decapitated head managed to break the record of being separated 5 tiles from my body... I quickly stop and realize I value the friend more than someone playing DF.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2008, 07:53:18 pm »

Wow... I feel bad that I play Halo now.  :-[

I'd say you tell them the awesome things that go on in "One of your games" (Don't mention it's the game they say "sucks") and see if they're interested. If they are, show them the awesome stuff on your game, and see if they're more interested on working past the graphics to get to the awesome. If that doesn't work, your friends are retarded and I don't know how to cure that disease. Sorry.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2008, 08:07:50 pm »

Well, you have to understand that most of the digs about Halo players or WoW players or whatever is not that those games ONLY attract shallow brain-dead players. It's that people who ONLY play those games are more likely to be shallow and brain-dead than those of us who can enjoy a variety of games.

I enjoyed Halo, I enjoyed WoW, I enjoyed the Sims. I also think I've put more time into Dwarf Fortress then any of those. It's like maturity. A mature person can be immature when appropriate and mature when necessary. An immature person can necessarily be mature. DF is kind of like that.

In my case, I've tried to get some friends into it (gently). One tries occasionally but has trouble getting into it, one plays it a bit but not too often, and no one else has really done much with it. The friend who I think would enjoy it the most refuses to try it on the basis that he'd play it too much and never get anything done. I can't argue with that too much...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2008, 09:31:06 pm »

Meh

Trying to get most people interrested in DF is a waste of time; they're just not into that type of games no matter how well it's made.  Most of my better friends don't even play videogames at all for that matter.
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2008, 10:40:31 pm »

I tried to get a friend into dwarf fortress, he likes deep complex details in games and he was the one who turned me on to my first ASCII game (hengband).  But for some reason he won't touch anything DF related with a ten foot pole.  I link him to funny posts that barely has anything to do with it and he won't touch it because of the bay12games in front of the link.  He never even played the game and refuses to.

He claims he hates anything indie, and hates dwarves.
Bolded for emphasis.  Like I said, smarter friends.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2008, 11:19:10 pm »

He hates anything indie, but introduced you to hengband?

*Gendo stare.*
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4