Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DW Time Travel  (Read 1517 times)

Ascii Kid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is just a test
    • View Profile
DW Time Travel
« on: December 05, 2008, 11:57:09 am »

So I'm reading the future fortress stuff on the original Slaves to Armok page, and under the mystical stuff I notice time travel, with a problem on only being able to go back to alternate pasts or the future. 
I have a solution to offer, one that works for time travel in the real world too: =->
  When you "travel back in time" you actually draw the past up as a new segment of personal time line that takes the place of your future.  Where you to travel forward once more you would travel to the future of the past to which you went from your current present.  =->

Maybe this will help

Ordinary Timeline a - b - c - d
Time travellers timeline a - b - a(b) - e

The same goes for the future, where if you travel forward, then back, you return to the past of that new future.  This protects the universe from personally designed paradoxes as it ties perception, reality and self to contained ideas.  Sure you could travel back in time and kill your grandparents, but you would only destroy the future of that new past you created by visiting.  You leave your reality by time traveling and enter one that looks and seems exactly the same, and is, except for where its' different.
"...you'll have you live with your GRANDmother and pick beans!"
-Homer

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DW Time Travel
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 12:38:57 pm »

we have more important things to worry about,

like adding more reasons why someone would want to travel back in time

Ascii Kid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is just a test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 12:40:31 pm »

Well, let me know how that works out for you.
"...you'll have you live with your GRANDmother and pick beans!"
-Homer

Evaristo Carriego

• Bay Watcher
  • Gelder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 07:52:06 pm »

Time travel? I liked it better when it was called save scumming...

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 02:30:44 am »

Thats more of precognitive ability

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 03:32:23 am »

Actually, if Toady implements a way to resume the history part of worldgen, time travel wouldn't be unfeasible.  When going back, just go back to a state of history from earlier.  When going forward, basically run worldgen up to that point.

It would be pretty cool to go back in time 100 years, kill the demon leading the goblin civilization that destroyed your home, and come back only to find that your home never existed in this reality (and have that all done naturally by game mechanics, of course).

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 03:40:47 am »

Nice thought on the Object. Wasnt that mostly the Hugh Everets Theory of many worlds?

Anyway each Timetravel creates an new time line iirc. And that makes the coding easyer if timetravel would come into the game.

First of i think an world were timetravel would be possible would need its entire History.
If you travel now in time backward the world gets reseted to the Point were you renter the timeline. You do your stuff in this period and then you travel "back home". From the moment you hit the "Back home button" the entire world must generate "history" for the time your are absence(same goes for travels direct to the future). The killed persons etc must be erased from the generation naturally. I see that this could work actually.

One mayor problems would be "undoing" your own failures (you dont really undo them you just create an world there they never happend) by killing/aiding yourself (only on the side of programming in RL there wouldnt be an Problemm). This can be avoided in two ways.

The first is the easyest make the parts of the timeline ,or only the certain areas of your influence in this time, Inacessable. You can join before or after but not during this time.

The second would be the safest. You just replace your "former" self at the point there it enters the timeline.

Interresting would be if DF could create (if allowed) at certain points like big fights/wars 2 differnt historys for the same world and generates them say 100 years ahead of your endpoint. This way you could meat persons out of alternate futures/historys.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 03:59:17 am »

I think Toady would've considered this, since creating a new world from a given point is the easy part.   The hard part being abstracting previous states in time from present save data.   And Toady would want to do it fairly seamlessly and perfectly.   Which is hard.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 04:05:41 am »

time travel would be much like if you took a save and played it then someone looks at what you did and found then took the save you used and played it to. they essentialy travel back in gametime and takeover. they have no access to the other timeline in their current game and nothing much happens except they will know stuff like hey magma pipe over there and gold right under here type of stuff.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 04:10:54 am »

I can imagine Dwarf Fortress somehow becoming an exercise in the possibilities of time and 'grandfather paradoxes' at a later date.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 04:51:20 am »

As if the game isn't going to be complicated enough, what with alternate dimensions and stuff

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 04:53:01 am »

if thats complicated for you dont even try to think about all the worlds that are genned and never used.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 04:56:01 am »

Dwarves fortress: Slaves of Armok - "Insanitys in time and space."

Hehe entirly altenate worlds would be interresting too but this are easyer to implement then Timetravel so please dont let us to derail this thread to much.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 05:10:43 am »

i think the dwarves already have time travel but dont care. like they already have perpetual motion machines, atom smasher, quatum refuce piles, anti-gravity ice, and many other things so really time travels just another old hat for them.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 05:14:36 am »

As long as we use a time-error axis exclusively for time travel (like chrono trigger did,minus the whole Marle paradox thing the developers did before they came up with the rules for time travel)

Basically, you have a secondary time axis which is the absolute time for time travelling.  Combine with the time orphan approach, where travelling through time renders you immune to changes in the past.
Pages: [1] 2