Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Project "Short People": Making More Trading Races  (Read 3481 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Project "Short People": Making More Trading Races
« on: December 05, 2008, 02:21:18 am »

Large rope reed blah blah.

The bane of all trade deals. Scrolling through pages of LARGE clothing and armor that, however nice and possibly even useful it may have the potential to be, is utterly useless because it is not usable by dwarves.

The aim of this project is to make a series of interesting, biome-specific trading races to add flavor and more specific variety of goods to the game, including - jubilation! - clothing that fits dwarves.

However, in order for this to work, a problem must be addressed; how does the game handle entities which overlap in their active seasons? Between two races with the same season, what determines which race is traded with - proximity?

In return for any help/information I may recieve, here is a preview of one of the races, the cheerful Cactaur, a desert-dwelling race.

This is an image of a dwarf and a cactaur. The cactaur is wearing a turban, long skirt, sandals and a smiling mask. The dwarf is staring.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: Project "Short People": Making More Trading Races
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 02:22:52 am »

Large rope reed blah blah.

The bane of all trade deals. Scrolling through pages of LARGE clothing and armor that, however nice and possibly even useful it may have the potential to be, is utterly useless because it is not usable by dwarves.

The aim of this project is to make a series of interesting, biome-specific trading races to add flavor and more specific variety of goods to the game, including - jubilation! - clothing that fits dwarves.

However, in order for this to work, a problem must be addressed; how does the game handle entities which overlap in their active seasons? Between two races with the same season, what determines which race is traded with - proximity?

In return for any help/information I may recieve, here is a preview of one of the races, the cheerful Cactaur, a desert-dwelling race.

The game supports multiple traders being at the depot at the same time.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 02:26:08 am »

The game supports multiple traders being at the depot at the same time.

Wow! That's actually very useful to know.

Does this also mean that multiple races' traders can show up?

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 02:40:48 am »

Yes, esp. in the legendary lands mod, but I digress (Thank You Captain Mayday!) Anyway as long as you make sure none of the races with the same active season are likely to go to war with one another you should be fine.
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 02:59:29 am »

Yes, esp. in the legendary lands mod, but I digress (Thank You Captain Mayday!) Anyway as long as you make sure none of the races with the same active season are likely to go to war with one another you should be fine.

Spec-tacular. I can see this being put to very good use; perhaps finding a borderline state where a civ starts out at war, you beat up some ambush/sieges, and they concede to peace, if at all possible.

Likewise, a second possibility... deliberately scheduling opposing races in the same season to see who wants to trade more. :D

Thanks again for the assistance.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 03:10:17 am »

The one who arrives first is generally the one who gets to trade... Unless the other has guards. If there are no soldiers in either caravan they will simply flee in opposite directions...
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 03:37:01 am »

The one who arrives first is generally the one who gets to trade... Unless the other has guards. If there are no soldiers in either caravan they will simply flee in opposite directions...

Perhaps if you set them all to the same active season and had a great big bazaar? Who knows what would happen?!

This idea alone is becoming horrifyingly interesting. I can just see a massive trader brawl...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 07:05:10 pm »

Any news on this plan, warlord?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 12:59:58 am »

You can have some crazy things when you have around 9 or so races all showing up to trade at the same time. You can also make a huge profit off of it as well, as different civs seem to value things differently at base values. (e.g. one civ buys all iron goods for 2x the price all of the time, or shows up with tons of cheese that they sell for .75 of the price) This means that you can sell a bunch of your stuff to one group of traders, and then use the stuff to trade to another group that values that object highly, than to another group, each time increasing total value of the items, allowing you to then go and buy anything you want. (One of my friends started with only ~1000 dwarfbucks worth of mugs and managed to get 4-5 anvils, a ton of cheese and wine, several weapons, and a lot of armor by trading all of the mugs to goblins for cheese, then to the humans for iron then back to the goblins, then to another race, and so on.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 01:35:32 am »

Or just do the usual and trade your masterwork cooked brewed meals off for retarded profit and buy everything off the traders.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 02:14:54 am »

Any news on this plan, warlord?

Moar pixel art. Starting to like doing this. And sorry if the images are scaled out of proportion, in the file I'm working on them all in they are at the same height.

One permeating problem, however, is my newfound observation of the daily devlog, and some backtracking through what's in store for the next version... I know it's the ancestral "new-version-coming-soon, why bother" burnout but some of this stuff has cataclysmic potential for the next version.

That said, work is postponed primarily due to finals week and going home for christmas. The races seem to work so far, but the orcs need tweaking for invasioneering, and the inclusion of another Mystery Race still needs to be addressed.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 12:29:07 pm »

walrus people.. walrus people!!! WALRUS PEOPLLLLLEEEE!!!

I really should pay more attention to your threads warlord. As it appears you won't be working on this until after christmas, i wish ya a happy holidays.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 07:02:58 pm »

I really should pay more attention to your threads warlord. As it appears you won't be working on this until after christmas, i wish ya a happy holidays.

Danke.

On a side note, when the next version comes out I'm thinking of holding a contest for "tweaks/additions good enough to add to the core game", such as new uses of the milling reactions.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 07:48:19 pm »

Danke.

On a side note, when the next version comes out I'm thinking of holding a contest for "tweaks/additions good enough to add to the core game", such as new uses of the milling reactions.
I doubt I'd win that.  I'll probably be upgrading the LEGO mod.
On the subject of merchants, how do you get two different fortress mode playable civs to interact with each other?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 08:49:38 pm »

I doubt I'd win that.  I'll probably be upgrading the LEGO mod.
On the subject of merchants, how do you get two different fortress mode playable civs to interact with each other?

Short answer: You don't. They can, if set to the same active season and if not at war, trade with YOU at the same time, but they will not really interact with each other as of yet.

Also, you can only really play one race at a time in fortress mode.

Pages: [1] 2 3