Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28

Author Topic: Airlands Project  (Read 43338 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Airlands Project
« Reply #270 on: January 19, 2009, 08:52:11 pm »

Nice one.

I still think that we should make some concept art and development before modelling actual things.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 19, 2009, 09:46:51 pm »

I'm better in moddeling then in drawing, so I prefere to make concept moddels :P

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 19, 2009, 11:44:01 pm »

I meant that we need full set before trying parts for each race :). General ideas, sketches etc. You shouldn't be good at drawing to make sketches, and it saves a lot of time because you can immideately see possible faults.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 20, 2009, 05:51:43 am »

Remember. There must be something that remotely resembles a penis and is totally useless. All the dumb players will pick that and we will know who to eliminate.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 20, 2009, 06:51:04 am »

Remember. There must be something that remotely resembles a penis and is totally useless. All the dumb players will pick that and we will know who to eliminate.

Stop. If there are any of these, I can't play the gaem.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 20, 2009, 06:55:00 am »

We need SOMETHING to root out the morons.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 20, 2009, 08:25:53 am »

Alright then... in the start up screen there will be a button that says "This button will destroy your game and give you candy: Only one of these is true"

and if they click on it the game will delete itself.

Dang it Yanlin your sounding like a HUGE elitist.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 20, 2009, 09:37:50 am »

Just a bit of direction for people who want to get underway modeling:

Right now a few things that will be needed soon:
-Mage Towers (I'd like to get quite a few variations, so this is something that people can always make, which will be useful)
-Civ Sites (something to represent villages)
-Forests
-Something to show present wildlife, would be great if it can exist on the same tile as a forest without being obscured

A few other things:  steam tech will be the extent of technology, but coal fuel will be quite rare, due to the nature of the state of the world.  The most prevalent energy source is going to be wind.  (Airships with sails is a definite possibility)  Up dosen't have the same value in the air as it does on land and on sea.  (Masts can come off the sides of a ship, or out the bottom)  Floating Stone can be used as ballast for an airship, hot air isn't the only solution.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 20, 2009, 09:39:12 am »

Alright then... in the start up screen there will be a button that says "This button will destroy your game and give you candy: Only one of these is true"

and if they click on it the game will delete itself.

Dang it Yanlin your sounding like a HUGE elitist.

That's because I am an elitist. I hate people dumber than bricks.

Also, your method is extremely flawed. It will be easily defeated by trial and error. Basically the "Doc, it hurts when I do this!" "Then don't do this." syndrome.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 20, 2009, 09:43:34 am »

"It will be easily defeated by trial and error"

Obviously the dumb people will be too dumb to learn from trial and error

The people who deserve to play the game will understand never to push that button again.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 20, 2009, 10:13:36 am »

No. Even dumber than bricks people will figure out that they can play if they never press it again. But they will always pick the penis creatures. So we can grief them.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 20, 2009, 10:16:11 am »

A few other things:  steam tech will be the extent of technology, but coal fuel will be quite rare, due to the nature of the state of the world.  The most prevalent energy source is going to be wind.  (Airships with sails is a definite possibility)  Up dosen't have the same value in the air as it does on land and on sea.  (Masts can come off the sides of a ship, or out the bottom)  Floating Stone can be used as ballast for an airship, hot air isn't the only solution.
Lack of coal sounds a bit strange when you've got battle mages. What keeps them from heating up a vat of watter and using that for a steam engine?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 20, 2009, 10:38:59 am »

Fire elemental powered boilers?  Air elemental powered turbines?  Water elemental powered mills?

Magic introduces a lot of funky work arounds to what we think of as "technology".  Predictable magic would be as much technology as anything else.

I say distinguish yourself from the rote modern fantasy clones and ditch the steampunk altogether.  Do bronze age with industrial scale magic, something systematically approachable but conceptually alien.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 20, 2009, 03:05:49 pm »

Lack of coal sounds a bit strange when you've got battle mages. What keeps them from heating up a vat of watter and using that for a steam engine?

Just because it is possible to do something dosen't mean that it is easy.  Magic is something your avatar can preform, and a select few who have dedicated themselves to their studies.  It would be far easier to buy coal, than to get the services of a skilled mage, however wind will be far easier than either. 

Uses of magic for contraptions will of course be ingame, but the baseline should be wind power.  There will be uses for elemental resources ingame as well.

I'm trying to encourage people to think of solutions other than steam engines, turbines and propellors, rather than developing a rationale to have them.  I think this will give the game a unique style that sets itself apart from the common aesthetic.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 20, 2009, 03:44:44 pm »

Will there be different looking mage towers depending on what race is dominant on your island, or based on the terrian it is on? Or even just good-evil?

Like, an evil player has a sinister, dark tower, and a tower inside a forest has ivy growing along the sides.

Pointless to ask now, I know, but I felt like asking.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28