Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28

Author Topic: Airlands Project  (Read 43357 times)

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Airlands Project
« Reply #255 on: January 18, 2009, 04:32:13 pm »

Suggestions, in no paticular order:

Turn-based.
Single player avaliable, against computer magey people.

I'd take a look at the old dos game Master of magic, which seems to have a lot of details in common with the game you're trying to make. Maybe you could steal some elements, er, more than you already have.

Also, I would make the models simple (Maybe eve, god forbid, sprites!). You'd have your peasant, scout, diplomat, spy, bowman, militia, etc. And they'd all be maybe 50-100 polygons. With color-swappable uniforms and mayble little banners declaring who controls them.

Also, in the realm of the utterly ridiculous. going above your opponents island and dropping onto it. Crunch.

Water should, perhaps, come in lakes, aquifers (unlimited water) oceans and rivers. Bodies of water touching the edges might leak over the side and drain, unless they were fed by aquifers. So peraps' you have your aquifer surrounded by five lake tiles, and then a river leading off the side for an asthetically pleasing waterfall. Or volcanoes with canyons to drain the lava off the sides.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 18, 2009, 04:34:41 pm »

heh I love this Dwarf Fortress Lingo that feels so out of place.

In Dwarf Fortress Aquifiers arn't supposed to represent unlimited water... They are supposed to represent underground sources of water.

In real life they can dry up.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 18, 2009, 04:54:58 pm »

Here's a quick work:

simple walls for a hex:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

more detailed walls (not finished):

Which level of detail do you require?
Do you want all the elements to be ornate, or to simulate them with texture and alpha transparency?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Zulaf

• Bay Watcher
  • Am I learning, or do I only think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 19, 2009, 01:56:51 am »

Ok this is what i came up with so far.

I was thinking of a spell system that would allow someone to research stuff on there own, sure they could trade spell knowledge or find something on a wild island or somewhere to learn from, but i want a system that you could mess around with and find the spells out on your own. of course your character would need to be trained enough to cast the spell or else it may blow up part of the island or summon a wild monster or make the inhabitants go wild and kill each other for awhile.

First we got the basic 4 fantasy elements, i'll just take it that i dont need to explain these, i did want to say lightning could go along with air element.

Second we got mind, body and spirit i was thinking that types of spells would be aligned to part of the caster like summonings will be with spirit, enchantments would go along best with mind and terraforming and destructive spells would work best with body, they could be used with other parts but wouldnt work as good.

next we got chaos and order. i was thinking that this could be effected by your island inhabitants so say you have goblins on your island they would probably be considered chaos aligned, humans may be neutral and elves would have order. the way this would effect spells is if you have more chaos you maybe better at destructive spells more then summoning or terraforming, but if you are practiced at summonings it would sorta neutralize this. but this may not be a good idea cause it may block a wizard with a goblin based army from summonings.

ok now the lunar solar and twilight, lunar could make water spells stronger, fire weaker, or something like that i dunno. maybe even effect active spell? At first i wanted this to be of the players choosing but then i thought maybe if Vactor was going to put in day/night sequence then maybe it could be based on that, if there wont be day/night sequence then it can be of player choose.

Now spell types.

summoning things like fire imps, water spirits, earth golems ect ect or could even summon tornadoes and stuff.

Rituals i kinda think these should effect the populace or soldiers maybe make soldiers go berserk or calm peasants if they get to unrest. stuff like that maybe even summon undead from a city of yours that fell?
could also be the section that allows you to make connectors for the hexes instead of just going for constructions to hold them together.

Destructive can make tremors make volcanoes erupt or just hurl a good ol fireball.

Terraform could not only change the land but this could have spells to move around hexes or make one of those lesser islands break off after you build a second tower.

Enchantments could be used to temporarily buff your soldiers or make a hexes harvest better.

Welp thats it go ahead and dissect it take whats good and bash the rest. :P

P.S. ms paint!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 02:44:04 am by Zulaf »
WIERD 2-5-6-8-9-14

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 19, 2009, 02:50:48 am »

Do you have some concept on races already? What kind of creatures do you want to place there?

I can try to start making forms for them. For now I have no direction and, you know, if I start today there'll be much more material ready when it's time to start working on it.

For now I'm sleepy, drunk and kidding.

A 10-min what-the-hell-is-that some crystalline race energy emitter/magic tower.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:02:39 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Zulaf

• Bay Watcher
  • Am I learning, or do I only think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 19, 2009, 03:15:30 am »

Do you have some concept on races already? What kind of creatures do you want to place there?

Well i know you probably arent talking to me but i do have a few,i was doing a few sketches yesterday when i was board. ill see if i can get this weird scanner my dad uses for his business to work on this comp so i can upload them.
WIERD 2-5-6-8-9-14

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 19, 2009, 03:37:04 am »

I'm mostly interested by some unique architecture.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 19, 2009, 06:34:42 am »

I suggest you only do two or three "weird" races with neat architecture, and plenty more "common" ones to counterbalance that, even if each race has it's own building style, try not to make it too 'out there'. Cause if everything looks wacky, well...

I used dwarf terminology, yeah. Perhaps a better name for an unlimited supply of water, then?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 19, 2009, 10:09:50 am »

Personally, I think you should try for something a bit more original than the very basic spell/race/element types.  What it looks like now is that you're going for a very detailed terrain structure and very basic combat and magic structure, which seems utterly backwards to me.

Races should be taken into very serious consideration.  One thing that could work of course would be to make one or more "basic" races that the first testers are given.  Then, through the course of various experiments and fine-tuning, original races would begin to split off from the basic ones, making the old ones obsolete and thus kept behind the scenes.  This would tie in with the "players make the backstory" setting.

I seriously think you should reconsider the elements and other magic-bases.  Remember that everything is taking place in the air, so things are going to be naturally quite different than life on the ground. 

For instance, earth magic is just going to seem out of place.  Yes, the floating islands are made out of earth or earth-based materials, but it seems strange to be drawing energy from a hunk of material that is really just a means to an end.  There's no big planet or underground power reserves to draw energy from, it's just a chunk of rock that's suspended so far above the ground that you can only see clouds when looking down from it.

Fire magic will also seem a bit strange, since volcanoes will be slightly rare (since they require a rather sizable chunk of land to properly form) and the islands probably won't be large enough to support vast deserts or forests for easy charring.  A possible type of fire would of course be lightning, but if that's really the only reason then why call it the fire element?

An interesting example would be NetStorm, which had five elements.  Wind, Rain, Thunder, Sun, and Storm.  All five were sky-related, and were present at almost all times around or on all the islands.  "Storm" was the only odd one out, since it seemed to essentially just be a compilation of the three primary elements (Wind, Rain, Thunder) and couldn't actually be used for anything other than a specific ritual.

The various stages of day would indeed provide a wonderful base for magical spells, since their effects would appear to be even more encompassing when you're sitting on a floating island right in the middle of it. 

Distant stars and planets could potentially give you a magical element, similar to the Astral magic path found in Dominions.  The various times of day could be elements in and of themselves, allowing their spells to be cast at any time, but with penalties/bonuses applied depending on the time.

On to the races.  Ground-based races are going to be seriously out of place, at least in my opinion.  Human knights riding horses into battle will be remarkably useless when there's half a mile of open space between you and your opponent.  Not even the greatest thoroughbreds could jump that gap.  And dwarves are just plain out of luck, as the great mines of their past will be slightly difficult to replicate in the shallow dirt of a suspended island.

I would strongly recommend creatures that either have an innate physical means of flying (wings and such), have the technological proficiency to compensate for their land-locked status (everybody loves a good zeppelin), or have a magical means of transport (the innate magical powers of something like a genie could keep it afloat for longer periods than a flying bird-man, and would allow him to wear heavier equipment.  But if something were to cause magical interference in his floating abilities...).  Or, you could just have some race that specializes in throwing things really long distances, and thus will attempt to bombard enemy islands and then fight off the troops that come winging their way.

I strongly feel that most battles should take place mid-air, rather than after two islands have locked together.  The frantic mêlée of troops swooping down on each other, the graceful fall of a soldier killed in battle, perhaps to be abruptly ended by an island farther down (probably be hell to work out placement and such, but could be fun to be surprised by a rain of bodies falling onto your villages).  It all just seems much more interesting than the standard ordeal of elf archers vs. goblin spearmen charging at each other and then falling a measly couple of feet before turning into fertilizer.

And you can find the chaos and order sides of anything, even such things that seem relatively "controlled" such as terraforming or summoning.  For instance, a chaotic terraforming spell might cause some highly unusual and unpredictable land combinations (or additions, or subtractions.  It is chaos after all), and there's nothing saying that a summoning spell has to bind the creature in question.  Or even place it where you were aiming.

Similarly, orderly destructive spells would be very, well, orderly.  They may not of the damage potential of chaotic destruction, but they will at least do an almost-predictable amount of damage, and will go where you tell them to.

Speaking of magic, I don't believe it would make much sense for your head mage to bother himself with the minor firebolts and combat imp summonings that should occur during a battle.  He should be paying more attention to the big spells that take a lot of time and/or resources to pull together, but that have a very large effect or have an exceptionally long duration (infinite until dispelled would not at all be out of the question for certain enchantments and summonings.  They are, after all, what you use to customize your island).  Spells should be treated less as spells in the common sense, and more just your magical way of managing things.

As for the minor spells and abilities, I'd feel it would best if those are left to the battle mages.  And I'd really rather not have to micro a huge selection of minor spells spread across a troop of spellcasters.  That kinda stuff just pisses me off.  I think the finer details of combat should be handled as much by the computer as possible, so you can work on more managerial things than having to act as some sort of omnipresent general who can give spontaneous telepathic commands to each individual soldier.

Okay, I think that about covers my current opinion on things.  Nothing saying you have to listen to any of this, I'm just describing a game that I personally would like to play.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 19, 2009, 05:50:23 pm »

An idea about generic "raiders" which are "enemy race to hunt" but are not represented by islands/players.

Sky pirates, flying big ships. The ships are made of various junk which is kept together by growing fungi. This is a special type of fungi which has "air sacks" like air balloons and like a life product these fungi create a gas which is lighter than air and fills these sacks, thus allowing their ships to fly. These raiders constantly raid various lightly-defended islands for food and weapons, also they keep their ships "alive" by feeding dead bodies to the fungi (the fungi colony may have some "core" where "roots" of the colony are and it's used as reactor: dead bodies are dumped there, and outer edge of the colony grows "air sacks", thus these ships look like something like this:

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 19, 2009, 06:04:38 pm »

I really need to post some suggestions in here.

Question Deon: If these pirates (and everyone else) are spending all their time sailing in the sky, where would they get a sea going ship for a hull, and why would they bother to use it?

I think a great aesthetic direction to hold is that all the vehicles, structures and what not look like they were originally designed for being in the air, instead of ordinary stuff transplanted into flying stuff.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 19, 2009, 06:33:14 pm »

Maybe a fungus-balloon?
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 19, 2009, 07:38:07 pm »

I really need to post some suggestions in here.

Question Deon: If these pirates (and everyone else) are spending all their time sailing in the sky, where would they get a sea going ship for a hull, and why would they bother to use it?

I think a great aesthetic direction to hold is that all the vehicles, structures and what not look like they were originally designed for being in the air, instead of ordinary stuff transplanted into flying stuff.
Well, it was just a quick sketch in photoshop. Moreover, these pirates are descendants of someone, and it could be that when the land started to rise and fly someone rebuilt some of the obsolete ships or maybe it was totally random that some of those fungi grew inside of a ship... Also the form doesn't matter a lot, it can be a tradition. And a "ship" which has a sharp fore-part is easier to drive forward because it cuts air in front of the ship.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 19, 2009, 07:55:24 pm »

This raises a question that I haven't answered yet.  Have Airlands always been in this world, or is this a more recent development in a world that was previously whole.  If we take the "always been" route it would make sense to have everything created specifically for its use in the air.  Races would be perfectly adapted to living in their conditions.

With the "recent development" route we can do more familiar things adapted into usefulness.  Races may not be adapted perfectly to fighting over air, and instead of relying on inherent ability, they have to use ingenuity, contraptions, and magics.  I do have the scraps of a backstory i've been kicking around my head for this route, but i think both ways have their merits.

One of the things i'm trying to be careful of too, is having the game undo its own gameplay because of its setting.  My fear is that if combat is too heavily oriented towards air units, the way in which a player sets up their tiles, and buildings becomes irrevelant.  I'm thinking of this in terms of ship to ship combat, I'd rather this not be a fight between 2 aircraft carriers.  This is not to say that air units won't have their place.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 19, 2009, 08:08:59 pm »

Is 202 polygons acceptable for a combat blimp?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28