Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28

Author Topic: Airlands Project  (Read 43366 times)

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
Re: Airlands Project
« Reply #225 on: January 08, 2009, 10:58:01 pm »

I tidied the textures up a bit, and put together a release so that anyone who cares to can see the new tiles and code in action.

Version 0.01.04
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=c6f427b4a4c35c4691b20cc0d07ba4d2cc98a27a617da048
http://rapidshare.com/files/181266718/Airlands.01.04.rar

This is far from optimized, and it will probably crash if you get a huge number of tiles going, (but i'm guessing your framerate will die well before anyone manages to do this.)  Its not neccessary to report slowdowns due to generating additional tiles as I'm already aware of it, and will be working on it.

Controls:

Left Mouse Button = select tile/airland

P = grow airland by 1 tile

Q = zoom in
A = zoom out

Z = move focused airland down one strata
X = move focused airland up one strata

W = focus airland 1
E = focus airland 2
R = focus airland 3

SpaceBar = cycle through tiles of current airland

ESC = exit
ALT-ENTER = fullscreen toggle

PTTG?'s work sidetracked me a bit from what i had intended on working on for this release, but I do have a good deal of brainstorming done for the tribe/resource aspects, how I want to do it, and what I need to do.

***Edit***
again, if you have a previous version installed you may need to uninstall it from your control panel before you can run the new release
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 11:12:21 pm by Vactor »
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 09, 2009, 02:22:12 am »

Yep and your not even on cities, contructs, possibly units/armies/Giant monsters, forests, or odd lands.

I really gotta start putting in suggestions on creatures... but I guess before I do.

Is there only going to be one kind of "Civilisation" creature? (being human)... And by that... are they going to be the only ones who make cities and have huge populations... the rest being monsters?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 09, 2009, 04:20:43 am »

IIRC there are gonna be a lot of races. All playable. Mainly since you technically only play your mage. He controls the land. Including those who inhabit it.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 09, 2009, 06:28:35 pm »

I'd suggest getting something that changes, but is relatively simple. Maybe weather/forests/villages. Or something like that. AFTER what you have planned for first.

Unless that is what you have planned. >_>

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 10, 2009, 11:40:34 am »

I added some code to display text, and drew up a flow chart of the basic system i'll be working on next:

and yes there will be many different races that can populate sites with variation within race dependent bounds between one tribe of that race and the next.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 11:45:39 am by Vactor »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 10, 2009, 12:30:21 pm »

It would be cool to have not "pre-defined" races but a "frame" like it's in DF: there're limited number of parameters but their combination could provide a lot of unique races and allow us to make our own nations. It would be cool to see a "strengths/weaknesses" system in, where races have limited number of "points" which can be spent to acquire positive traits and regained via negative traits, and with evolution/technologies/society grows the max point limit could be increased.

Just my wishes :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 10, 2009, 02:17:10 pm »

It would be cool to have not "pre-defined" races but a "frame" like it's in DF: there're limited number of parameters but their combination could provide a lot of unique races and allow us to make our own nations. It would be cool to see a "strengths/weaknesses" system in, where races have limited number of "points" which can be spent to acquire positive traits and regained via negative traits, and with evolution/technologies/society grows the max point limit could be increased.

Just my wishes :).

You're forgetting the massive balance issues.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 10, 2009, 03:03:36 pm »

Well, the traits may be not overwhelming, just directing the race and not making it dominant. And the playtesting reveals everything else :).

A word "Balance" is the easiest way to get rid of cool idea :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 10, 2009, 05:09:01 pm »

What would the purpose be with bone?
On customizable races; Using sliders instead of points would force negative traits in another area when increasing in one area. a player uncertan of how to start will take the middle road and thus get a balanced civ while someone that know what they want might go for an extremist civ.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 10, 2009, 05:22:27 pm »

Liberal angel squad anyone?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #235 on: January 11, 2009, 01:10:01 am »

After many trials and tribbles tribulations, I have gotten my computer working again. I haven't lost anything other than time, so I'll send some updated meshes soon- especially 2-2a, that makes me sick just looking at it.

I was thinking of trying out a few permutations for the meshes, so we'll have 1b,1c,1d... for some variety. Will this work with your current system?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 11, 2009, 10:58:10 am »

After many trials and tribbles tribulations, I have gotten my computer working again. I haven't lost anything other than time, so I'll send some updated meshes soon- especially 2-2a, that makes me sick just looking at it.

I was thinking of trying out a few permutations for the meshes, so we'll have 1b,1c,1d... for some variety. Will this work with your current system?

That would just take a few more lines of code and it should work perfectly.  It would work best if there are equal amounts of each tile type (ie 3 "2-2x"s, 3 "2-1x"s, 3 "1x"s etc.)  since i have the game right now generating a string that matches the mesh names, and then pulls out the appropriate mesh from the obj file you sent me.  also it would save me a few lines of code if you had the variations listed numerically instead of alphabetically, but not a big deal.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 11, 2009, 11:25:38 am »

Keep up the good work  ;D

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 13, 2009, 10:06:04 pm »

Brief update, I've got code in now that allows for very basic civilization sites to exist, right now it is a directory of sites, listing the population and race, as well as holding a variety of values that describe the tribe that lives there.  Right now it tracks the tribe's Diplomacy, Bavery, Strength, Intelligence, Dexterity, Size, and Savagery.  My plan is to track populations in the same manner as resources, with values ranging 1 - 1000.  This leads me into addressing deon's idea:

Here is my current vison for racial customization.

I don't want there to be an ingame workbench where you can sit down and choose strengths and weaknesses. 

I think a much more interesting way of handling it is by having your mage tinkering with the genetic pools of the population. (not in a blast magic buff spell on village sort of way, but in a introduce foreign elves to a human village sort of way) This would move the village's statistics towards the stats that the introduced elves have.  This opens up possibilities for then creating half breeds, with the game tracking the genetic make up of a population to determine their racial tag. (a city of 20% humans, 60% human/elves, 20% elves) would be a half elf village.  The more generations that occur the more the population mixes, however is elven blood becomes too low of a portion, the decendants may eventually just be considered humans.

I wouldn't be opposed to including modability to races so that individual servers and single players can run their own sets of races, which could then be subject to the same tinkering.

I think that eugenics fits in a world where mages are tearing apart landscapes because it suits them to have a desert somewhere else.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 14, 2009, 05:13:00 am »

Surely that can't be the only way. There must be training and stuff. In Globulation 2 (Freeware) there are buildings that train your units. Generations over generations of non lazy people would provide a better population. Yes, this is genetic engineering if you really think about it. The final DNA transmitted in... Sex... Has changed throughout the life of both the male and female. If they have been strong and healthy, so will their offspring. If they have been wise and caring, so will their offspring. Remember that all sentient species should be parental races. That is, they look after their offspring. Thus they pass on their traits when parenting too. That'll be a new and original gameplay mechanic.

What about stats like in "The Sims"? That could work nicely when creating children. But here's what I want different. The stats of the parents average, get a standard penalty to even it out and as the child grows up, he gains more stats.

I was going to suggest a skill system much like "The Sims" has. But that's just balls. Skills are individual stuff and we are talking about a grand population working here. So how about guilds having training programs and minimum standards? Say you want to craft 50000 suits of armor. But you want only your finest blacksmiths working on them. You specify that and everybody who's not talented enough in blacksmithing will not work on it.

Back to children. Parents should teach their children some of their skills once the child matures. As a child, they would be useless to the population. As an adult, they will start with 10% of the skills of both their parents. If the parent is a grand blacksmith, he must have taught his son/daughter how to make basic stuff with an anvil. Right?

Language will be another problem. Will all species speak the same language? That will make sense if they coexisted before the land suddenly became split and a floating landmass. If not, they could have dialects. What I suggest is having a diplomacy penalty for not knowing the language. You could introduce some of the species to your population and have them run a "culture school" where they teach everything about their species and its culture.

Well. That's my 2 cents.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28