Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28

Author Topic: Airlands Project  (Read 43288 times)

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
Re: Airlands Project
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2008, 01:17:54 pm »

Are you against open source? Because I would not mind taking a look at what you are doing with the engine. Feel free to say no, I realize people sometimes don't want to let out what they are creating

I'm not necessarily against open source, however I'm looking at a good amount of the player's airland intra-actions being done client-side, and in a multiplayer environment I could see this being problematic with a completely open source project.  Again I still have a lot to learn about programming, and networking and security are one of the areas that I don't know a lot about, so i could be very wrong.

You are more than welcome to take a look at my code so far:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Its a bit sloppy right now, as i've still got some stuff in there from the first rendering tests, My next step is going to be to tighten it up, and convert into objects.

Also Thanks everyone for their suggestions/comments, even if i'm not responding to everything I'm reading it all and taking everything into consideration.  (I'm a ponderer, so it may take me some time to digest a suggestion that i haven't considered before)
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

omagaalpha

• Bay Watcher
  • positve infinite
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2008, 03:02:58 pm »

Well I would thing consider doing for serverside is to be closed source (so only those have proven tobe trustworthy can be allow to help) and let client be open source so that in time you can just more so focus on server side.
But just my opinion, anyway off topic for my college in game development we are use XNA 2.0 which make life easy for programming :P . Have though about what file people will need installed if use XNA for the client?
Quote from: Jetsquirrel
Announce that i saw the whole creation of hte universe! and hold the monolith again
|The monolith is alive! And seemingly annoyed by your hugs. Or maybe static electricity of some kind that for some reason didn’t hit you last time.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2008, 05:32:19 pm »

How many elements are you going for?

I also noticed something as an additional benefit and penelty to having large lands

If your land is small, it is light enough to go above stormclouds that could have given you Thunder or Water element

You would need a REALLY large land to be small enough to get Fire Elements as you would have to be low enough to be hit by volcanos

Though it is that Large lands can't go up, not the other way around... hmmm I am confusing myself

I am not sure if that is the dirrection you want to go in though.

as an alternative I guess you could actively try to add element to your lands in a way sorta like teraforming. Using creatures who have the ability to actively change the elements of tiles... or Trade them

Wow today isn't my day today... I feel like someone foiled my brain in Tin foil and Fluffy pillows.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2008, 05:51:54 pm »

I just read of an interesting way of finding the object the mouse ponts to, if whatever you are using doesn't have some built-in method.

According to the internet(and the red book, an opengl guide, on the internet) you could turn off all of the fancy effects ad draw each object in a unique solid color then find the one "under" the mouse by it's color...

Almost-edit(brfore posting):

A quick google search says that this can be done in XNA too.
http://www.ziggyware.com/readarticle.php?article_id=203

If you used this to draw all of the surface objects for mouse selection of tiles...

Edit:
Read the comments, and it seems that it is a somewhat slow method, and that there are faster, although sometimes less acurate, methods of accomplishing the same goal.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 05:59:21 pm by qwertyuiopas »
Eh?
Eh!

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2008, 06:13:00 pm »

not much noticeable difference, but the game can now create an object for each airland you would care to have it make, and can render each airland where it belongs, buildings and hextiles can be added and removed, (i've only got one structure model at the moment):

« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 06:16:36 pm by Vactor »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2008, 06:19:55 pm »

Perhaps rather than making certain spells dependant on enviromental elements you could make it so that an element empowers spells and increases defensive abilities against those of the same element.

Some other ideas:
Isles have a constant speed in one direction that can be altered with spells.
Speed falls as the isle gets larger and requires higher upkeep(mana?) if they wish to maintain normal speed.
Units have a attack range depending on the unit and thus makes it important for aggressive players to set course for their victims.

Not only one building per Hex; Structures can be constructed high at increasing cost and perhaps down below the foundation, reaching down under the isle at an even higher cost.
Resource Hex; Idea depending on your thoughts on what resources there should be. Consider allowing multiple resource farming(?) on one hex, designated by a percentage per resource  decided on by the player.

Alliances; forming alliances allows players to connect their isles, this will allow for joint defences but would in other aspects work like just having two isles near eachother.

I thought of some other ideas but they fell out of my head while writing this and now its late so i shal retire for the night and see if they come to me tomorrow
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 07:13:31 pm by Ivefan »

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2008, 07:26:05 pm »

Demo of multiple airlands at varying z-levels:

Callagan111

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mildly Amusing
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2008, 08:34:06 pm »

Can you put in some sort of temporary background image as a test? Or is that coming later?

Also, it looks great so far.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2008, 09:33:43 pm »

Will any land be more then a 1x1 Hexagon/Octagon tile?

Actually can some lands ban together to appear like a larger tile?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2008, 10:17:02 pm »

Stupid question.

How do you gain land hexes?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2008, 10:19:35 pm »

Stupid question.

Stupid? Even I don't know

Callagan111

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mildly Amusing
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2008, 10:47:33 pm »

Stupid question.

Um, I think that you get them from the ground. But I'm not sure myself.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2008, 11:31:01 pm »

Can you put in some sort of temporary background image as a test? Or is that coming later?

Also, it looks great so far.

at some point there will be a world surface and skybox, somewhat low priority right now though.

Will any land be more then a 1x1 Hexagon/Octagon tile?

Actually can some lands ban together to appear like a larger tile?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but if its a question of if the tiles will always be so distinctly seperate hexes:

My hope is that at some point the surface of your airland will appear smooth, and the underpart will not be all individual roots, part of the reason it looks the way it does right now is because i'm using very simple effects and shader resources, at the correct angle the landscape looks quite glossy right now.  This will all be gone over when art is getting updated.  Right now i'm working towards the utility/gameplay using basic placeholders.

Stupid question.

3 sources:  the ground (undeveloped tiles), wild and npc airlands (undeveloped & special tiles), other players (undeveloped/developed/special/whatever else you can capture)

to annex land you need to use special non combat units that cut the bonds between tiles, severing it from your foe's airland.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2008, 02:36:37 am »

This sounds absolutely great and at the point you reach Beta I would love to test it.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2008, 05:58:44 am »

This looks amazing. Keep up the good work. I can't wait until you have something playable.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28