Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28

Author Topic: Airlands Project  (Read 43343 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Airlands Project
« Reply #240 on: January 14, 2009, 08:08:20 am »

Brief update, I've got code in now that allows for very basic civilization sites to exist, right now it is a directory of sites, listing the population and race, as well as holding a variety of values that describe the tribe that lives there.  Right now it tracks the tribe's Diplomacy, Bavery, Strength, Intelligence, Dexterity, Size, and Savagery.  My plan is to track populations in the same manner as resources, with values ranging 1 - 1000.  This leads me into addressing deon's idea:

Here is my current vison for racial customization.

I don't want there to be an ingame workbench where you can sit down and choose strengths and weaknesses. 

I think a much more interesting way of handling it is by having your mage tinkering with the genetic pools of the population. (not in a blast magic buff spell on village sort of way, but in a introduce foreign elves to a human village sort of way) This would move the village's statistics towards the stats that the introduced elves have.  This opens up possibilities for then creating half breeds, with the game tracking the genetic make up of a population to determine their racial tag. (a city of 20% humans, 60% human/elves, 20% elves) would be a half elf village.  The more generations that occur the more the population mixes, however is elven blood becomes too low of a portion, the decendants may eventually just be considered humans.

I wouldn't be opposed to including modability to races so that individual servers and single players can run their own sets of races, which could then be subject to the same tinkering.

I think that eugenics fits in a world where mages are tearing apart landscapes because it suits them to have a desert somewhere else.
I love the idea. Well, it's always cool to change something more in "natural" than in "metagaming" way, I just thought this could appear too difficult/unneeded for you. And definitely leave an ability to forge races in singleplayer to test them to know which type of race you want to gain in multiplayer via crossbreeding.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Zulaf

• Bay Watcher
  • Am I learning, or do I only think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 16, 2009, 03:51:23 pm »

So i just read all the posts last night(i have bad memory so some of it just got pushed out of my brain =P)and i have a few questions,

1: will the world be round, as in will you be able to go in a straight line and get back to your starting(or in the vacinaty) point without turning, in any direction?

2: will loose hexs fall down or lift up? if the noobs are at the top it would probably be best if the hexs lifted up but if the noobs are at the bottom probably best if they fell.(ok more of a suggestion.)

3:can some races breed together to get another kinda species instead of just half breeds? like you have a battered and unsalvageable section of your island cause you tried to breed angels and demons only to find out that they come out as humans.

4: will you be able to look up? if so will it just be with the zoom?

5: i know im forgetting something......

I have also been thinking of a magic system suggestion. but it needs some more thought.
WIERD 2-5-6-8-9-14

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 16, 2009, 05:53:45 pm »

Well going to get some suggestions out of the way.

Well Vactor you could also have another seperate genetic affect caused by the land's allignment.

Having humans in a very hot location (lots of Fire energy) could lead them to gaining traits to help them cope and thrive until they are no longer recognisable as human beings.

Though this contradicts my earlier suggestion of having some creatures capable of sustaining certain elemental allignments.

Though there should be Elemental Tollerance and Thrive

Tollerance is how high and low those beings can survive

Thrive is their comfort zone.

Human beings should probably require a certain Earth allignment as well as happyness.

For example they should need at least 20% of the allignment to be earth to survive (they can't survive too well in non-earth allignments) and thrive with 40-60% earth allignment 10-20% Nature (or whatever).

Maybe I should think this through... Pick and chose what seems acceptable... it isn't a package deal.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 16, 2009, 09:04:55 pm »

I wonder how a angel/demon hybrid would work. Or would they kill each other?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 16, 2009, 09:06:59 pm »

I wonder how a angel/demon hybrid would work. Or would they kill each other?

Well that is solved easily!

Angels and Demons would require such powerful elemental/Spiritual allignment that they couldn't possibly live together

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 17, 2009, 03:55:44 pm »

Like my wifey and me :)

By the way, Vactor, I've just found that my little mod for Stranded2 game is no longer avaliable anywhere... And I spent a lot of time on it... Now I feel myself sad and the only way to fix it... maybe some help to other creators can fix it? If you need some 3d models for buildings/enviroments, you can ask me.

I am not great in 3d modelling but I can do something.

Examples:

etc.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 17, 2009, 09:05:23 pm »

Civ IV uses a lovely system to generate cities. Perhaps you could use something similar?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 18, 2009, 12:14:40 am »

Hehe. Speaking of civ4, these are buildings for civilization4 I've made :). Main goals were: min. number of polygons, max beauty :). I guess this formula is working for any global strategy.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 18, 2009, 02:14:20 am »

So... Civilization with Temples of NOD?

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 18, 2009, 03:44:21 am »

So... Civilization with Temples of NOD?

I was about to ask the same thing when i saw that. I still think the C&C95(Tiberian Dawn for the younger people) temple looked much cooler then the Tiberian Sun temple, which looks like a scorpion with wheight issues.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 18, 2009, 07:42:44 am »

Well, there're other NOD temple versions out there and sadly I don't remember the one from C&C 95 because I played it just a few times and my love to C&C series began from Red Alert (and ended with TibSun I believe... I was not really into RA2 and original RA remains for me a standard of good strategy of high quality).

These are random buildings I've made by requests from other people to train my dabbling 3dmodeler skills, they were supposed to end up in mods but I'm pretty sure that most of those mods will never be released. However "tower with tentacles" and "mosque-like huge bazaar" ended in Fall From Heaven mod as "Black Tower" Sheaim Palace (evil fantasy race which tries to bring hell on earth... ehm.. Erebus :)) and Bazaar of Mammon (wonder + gold gold gold) so they were useful.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 07:47:18 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 18, 2009, 02:57:13 pm »

Mini Update

Resource spawns are in now, a variety of trees, metals, and stones can now be found on some tiles, each with a set of attributes who's values vary between instances.  spawn locations are conditional on the terrain, (right now its very simple, stone and metal in mountain tiles, villages and trees on rolling plains tiles, but this will be expandable to include how hospitable the terrain is to a particular entity that might try to exist there)

I'm going to take some time to get non-terrain models rendering again, so the mage tower will return, and tiles that say they have wood or a village on them, will be able to look like they do.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 18, 2009, 03:12:49 pm »

Also, Deon those models look great, as far as format goes, i'm using .fbx, however I was easily able to convert .obj from PTTG?? into .fbx, (i think there were some issues with lost texturing)  If you want to send me some test files I can check to make sure I can import. I'll PM my email to you.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 18, 2009, 03:33:27 pm »

It's easier for you to download from internet I think to avoid "archives-in-emails" various possible troubles.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=295136

Also if you happen to need something I've already done, I forgot where did I put all the list of my ready models but there're some screenies:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well, these are my starters, I have some of more detailed things but I don't have them on my computer now.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 18, 2009, 03:48:33 pm »

I can make objects directly in the OBJ format, the ones on site are in .nif but I have troubles with 3ds max currently so I can't convert obj to nif for some time... Looks like it's not an issue for you.

Which model do you want me to try to make for a test and what's the maximum policount? Also should objects be triangulated or your engine eats usual ones (with multicorner faces)?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28