Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28

Author Topic: Airlands Project  (Read 43278 times)

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Airlands Project
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 07:26:06 am »

Yeah, I can beta test too, maybe. Real time or Turn based?

Anyway, the idea is good. And floating continents!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 07:28:06 am by IndonesiaWarMinister »

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 11:03:31 am »

Speaking of persistent MMORTS games, does anyone know of any in existence now?  I've seen a few, and they're gaining in popularity, but I can't remember their names/links.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 09:49:03 pm »

I spent some time setting up everything basic I need to be able to render things, and worked out the math for hex grids.  I've got basic vector based camera controls worked out, so you can orbit your camera horizontally and vertically, and zoom in and out around what is currently a fixed point, but will later be mobile.  I'll add limits in so you can't flip your camera upside down on yourself at some point.

A basic 2d hex is rendered with a texture applied:

Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 10:57:36 pm »

I'd be totally in for Beta testing.

It'd be cool if your population revolted, perhaps the more unsavory elements of your army(say a legion of vampires) could desert your army and go hunting?

it'd kill rebels, but imagine the morale effects!
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 11:36:05 pm »

You know what would be cool?

If the Beta testing ends up being the 'lore' behind the game (rather than some pre-determined boring fluff that nobody really cares about)? All those changes could be rationalized as being caused the magical instablity of the islands and the massive spells that these "Early Warlords" cast with much abandon.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 05:13:29 am »

If the Beta testing ends up being the 'lore' behind the game (rather than some pre-determined boring fluff that nobody really cares about)? All those changes could be rationalized as being caused the magical instablity of the islands and the massive spells that these "Early Warlords" cast with much abandon.

SIGN ME UP!  HURRY!

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2008, 07:39:56 am »

This sounds interesting.

What are your intentions on scale for a single tile? Would one hex be enough to hold an entire city of tens of thousands? Or would it spill into the nearby squares using that hex-division system you made? I think that'd be neat.

Also, I like SC's suggestion and offer to write about it.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2008, 12:38:27 pm »

Sign me up for a beta test as well, sounds awesome.

You might want to use a different texture style though, maybe something.....sleeker.
I don't know, its your choice anyway.

omagaalpha

• Bay Watcher
  • positve infinite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2008, 12:40:33 pm »

Can't wait see when it is beta of what it is like.
Quote from: Jetsquirrel
Announce that i saw the whole creation of hte universe! and hold the monolith again
|The monolith is alive! And seemingly annoyed by your hugs. Or maybe static electricity of some kind that for some reason didn’t hit you last time.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2008, 02:02:11 pm »

I'm sure you guys realize that it will be a good amount of time before true Beta Testing will be going on as i'm building the game from the ground up.  My current goal is to get a functioning playtest where you can do all the basic activites that will be involved in managing your airland, populations, resources, raising armies.  After that the next step will be developing combat.

Yeah, I can beta test too, maybe. Real time or Turn based?

My best answer to this would be both, battles will be played out in real time, units will have their own personal turn system, allowing some units to take their turns more quickly, while others have to take turns more slowly.  Since combat will be relatively hands off, it should appear to be more real time.  A good battle plan and thinking ahead should be the most powerful thing on the battlefield.  Fighting while logged on will allow for adapting your tactics to the conditions of a battlefield, while keeping the ability to gain land from offline players limited enough to make attacking other online players the better course.

I have to say this would be pretty awesome.

This sounds interesting.

What are your intentions on scale for a single tile? Would one hex be enough to hold an entire city of tens of thousands? Or would it spill into the nearby squares using that hex-division system you made? I think that'd be neat.

Also, I like SC's suggestion and offer to write about it.

In my mind each hex tile is the equivalent of ~160 acres  which is a square 1/2 mile, or the equivalent of 1/4th of a square mile.(each sub hex would then be ~40 acres)  It would be large enough to hold a village of several hundred, but getting into the thousands it would, as you described, have to sprawl into adjoining subtiles and tiles.

Sign me up for a beta test as well, sounds awesome.

You might want to use a different texture style though, maybe something.....sleeker.
I don't know, its your choice anyway.

I do agree, and am planning on slowly generating better art on the side as I get more of the code up and running. 

Currently I'm working on getting some simple 3D models built and loading properly, and should have something to show later on tonight.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2008, 04:18:21 pm »

This does sound pretty cool, I've always wanted to try a persistent multiplayer rts.
I'd love to help beta test, and I've got a Linux box to test it on, if you plan on supporting linux, that is.
Fefeshnelmargalip

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2008, 04:21:41 pm »

By the way, I'd just like to pop in and say that NetStorm was a pretty damn awesome game.  Even if it wasn't particularly streamlined (I.E., the gameplay wasn't very kind to me personally), it had style beyond measure.

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2008, 04:37:18 pm »

Speaking of textures and pretty pictures.... This would be a unique chance to  (practice? Don't know how long you've been coding :P) try out some nice special effects. The game is going to be PS2.0 requiring, and won't be rendering alot, so it might be itneresting to try out some real grass, etc etc :P

Interesting gameplay though, I can only imagine the larger cities however will have more of their combat based on long range attacks. That brings to mind, what about floating "plateaus" ? Basicly hexes that you add a building onto that channels the flight capability of the tower. They can still only fly as the same altitude, but assuming you make large islands slower, they can move very quickly.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 04:40:52 pm by Darkone »
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2008, 04:51:42 pm »

Please let me Beta test, this sounds awesome.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2008, 05:28:06 pm »

Once you get the game play and all that nailed down and programmed and need everything prettied up:

Spoiler: cough cough (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: cough cough (click to show/hide)

Not as good at 3D, but I know how to do it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28