Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Armed Combat Overhaul thread.  (Read 18744 times)

n2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Combat, Martial Arts, and Weapons suggestions
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2008, 11:13:26 am »

You will have to know sizes of creature you attack, to do attacks that make sense (is a large dog large enough to hit it with your high slash?)
What about dodging in place?
Will it be benefical to attack each and every beast in the head? (weakest point) If so, does it even matter how many different attacks there are, if you only use one.

It's actually getting worse when I imagine fights with several opponents. How many attack areas are there? 9 for each opponent? So, first, select opponent, second, area, third, type of attack (slash, thrust, etc)... then the same for defence?

Another idea: rather than aiming higher or lower, to aim at specific parts of enemy's body (rogue-like fallout) and protecting part of your own body? Still, don't like pressing dozens keys, better if aimed attack was some kind of advanced (not normal) attack.

If you are being real physics nerds, remember gothic: like a slash from left to right can be followed by slash from right to left (because the sword is at your right) but not with e.g. another left to right slash.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:51:30 am by n2 »

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2008, 01:40:18 pm »

We need to keep in mind that one sometimes fights creatures at different levels.  Flying creatures might even be directly above an adventurer.  How should, for example, a stab straight up be handled?

Just because the head allows for an instant kill doesn't mean it's the most vulnerable location.  An enemy soldier is likely to guard his head and body, and may be a lot easier to strike somewhere else.  Wild creatures, especially the more fantastic varieties, may have natural armor protecting their heads.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2008, 01:52:31 pm »

Footkercheif, for the quarterstaff, look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8x4JQlqcWo&feature=related

Pay attention to when the man in red strikes while moving both of his hands to the end of the weapon, and the man in brown's binds. Haven't found any actual combat videos with the bo staff yet--just dancing and instructions.

I'm thinking we need three arm positions to make this work well--ready, extended, and retracted. Ready is forearm's length or so away from your body, extended is the whole arm extended from your body, and retracted is the fist "level" with the shoulder. using this and your previous system of drawing lines and such can allow us some basic strikes, but it's a crude system--we should be able to do better. For example, if I wanted to attack from 3 to 1, I'd slash my right hand from 6 to 4,  and retract my left hand along 7. The line should then extend to the 3-1 line I wanted earlier.

I think we can do stop-blocking and deflecting by giving people a "reaction action" when the system says that you detect an attack. You can then chose stop block, and be done with it, or deflection, which then displays how the attack is coming in, and your parrying instrument's position. You can then choose two blocks, just like before, to swing through, and if you're fast enough, you can deflect the blade--say 2 or 3 blocks if it's still in the off-balance squares, and 1 block if it's in the target area squares. For automation purposes, the chance thing would probably work.

I meant expand the grid into a 5x5 grid, with the outer regions only functioning as off balance regions.

Also, speaking of ranged weapons, I'm thinking half of the problem of crossbows is the reload time. The other half is going to be unpopular stuffs to add, such as having the bow break, having it be heavy and hard to aim, having reloading it tire anyone without a strong tag, and the time (expense) it takes to make them.

It should be relatively easy to dodge a single bolt from over 30 feet away.

n2, you're thinking in terms of the long, drawn out battles we've got now. Real battles involve setting up an attack, then landing it, and that's it. No more than around a minute of actual engagement time, so things wouldn't really be that tiresome.

I see your point about multiple enemies, though--things could get complicated, especially if you're being attacked from multiple directions.

Demonic Gophers, perhaps we'd have to use the off-balance regions? I dunno, I've never really seen attacks straight up that were effective.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2008, 03:02:46 pm »

You will have to know sizes of creature you attack, to do attacks that make sense (is a large dog large enough to hit it with your high slash?)

Yes.  Look back up at the images I posted -- note that the very large titan can't hit the dwarf with a high or middle slash, he has to strike low.

I think dodging should require actually moving to another tile.  The current combat system will sometimes dodge an attack and sometimes block/parry, depending on your combat settings.  This could stay the same.

Will it be benefical to attack each and every beast in the head? (weakest point) If so, does it even matter how many different attacks there are, if you only use one.

No.  The head might be more heavily armored, or the opponent might be keeping his guard high, or you might WANT to merely cripple your opponent with a blow to the knee.  Or the opponent might be so much bigger than you that you can't reach his head.  Or he might be so much smaller that you can't target his head area independent of the rest of his body.

It's actually getting worse when I imagine fights with several opponents. How many attack areas are there? 9 for each opponent? So, first, select opponent, second, area, third, type of attack (slash, thrust, etc)... then the same for defence?

I think you should only get 1 maneuver per grasp per turn, no matter how many opponents (although the same blow might hit multiple people, if they're all in front of you).  Being surrounded SHOULD be extremely dangerous -- attacks from behind would have to be dodged or blocked by armor, unless perhaps you have a grasp or a weaponized tail on your backside.

If you are being real physics nerds, remember gothic: like a slash from left to right can be followed by slash from right to left (because the sword is at your right) but not with e.g. another left to right slash.

That's actually already accounted for with the grid system -- after a slash from left to right, your sword will still be on the right side, so you can't slash right again.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 03:05:10 pm by Footkerchief »

n2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2008, 03:13:58 pm »

n2, you're thinking in terms of the long, drawn out battles we've got now. Real battles involve setting up an attack, then landing it, and that's it. No more than around a minute of actual engagement time, so things wouldn't really be that tiresome.
I disagree, when you lay siege to, lets say, a goblin tower with one man army, you're in for a lot of fighting. And real battles between armored opponents are more than just landing one attack. Thats true that right now battles are like "I will cut you, and pierce you, and smash you, and kill you many times until you die" and damage done to a single enemy may be enough to finish off a little village, but firstly, it's FUN, secondly, when fighting UNDEAD this is the most realistic way to win (disassembling undying foe so that it would be unable to move).

Right now, ranged works the way you say (one shot - one kill) and we can all see it's way too broken. And not epic.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2008, 03:49:54 pm »

Footkercheif, for the quarterstaff, look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8x4JQlqcWo&feature=related

Pay attention to when the man in red strikes while moving both of his hands to the end of the weapon, and the man in brown's binds.

Yeah, not being able to shift grips certainly reduces the versatility of long-shaft weapons (no snickering, please).  Shifting your grip wouldn't be TOO much of a complication as long as you don't distinguish underhand/overhand -- the game already needs to track grip location for the torque calculations we talked about, and to figure out the reach of your weapon.

I'm thinking we need three arm positions to make this work well--ready, extended, and retracted. Ready is forearm's length or so away from your body, extended is the whole arm extended from your body, and retracted is the fist "level" with the shoulder. using this and your previous system of drawing lines and such can allow us some basic strikes, but it's a crude system--we should be able to do better. For example, if I wanted to attack from 3 to 1, I'd slash my right hand from 6 to 4,  and retract my left hand along 7. The line should then extend to the 3-1 line I wanted earlier.

Three depth positions is more precise, no argument there.  But I think for most purposes, you can get by with a single pivot point, the ready/retracted position -- so you would just keep left retracted, and slash right hand from 3 to 1.  It's not as nuanced as giving the grid a true selectable depth, but... it's so much less complicated, not just for the attack interface but also for purposes of figuring out what positions the weapons occupy.

I edited this into my last post about staffs after you replied (oops), and I think it illustrates that you can still do a lot of realistic maneuvers with one "positionless" pivot point:

Quote from: Footkerchief
So to block a downward chop with a staff, you'd thrust your left hand to 7 (upper left), and your right hand to 9 (upper right) ... after blocking a downward chop, you can move into a downward swing of your own in a very natural way -- retract left grasp, swing right grasp from 9 to 2, thwack.  You can then follow up with a horizontal swing by retracting right grasp and swinging left grasp from 4 to 6.  Then retract both grasps and thrust into 5 with your left grasp for a finishing jab to the midsection (note that this takes two "turns").

I think we can do stop-blocking and deflecting by giving people a "reaction action" when the system says that you detect an attack. You can then chose stop block, and be done with it, or deflection, which then displays how the attack is coming in, and your parrying instrument's position. You can then choose two blocks, just like before, to swing through, and if you're fast enough, you can deflect the blade--say 2 or 3 blocks if it's still in the off-balance squares, and 1 block if it's in the target area squares. For automation purposes, the chance thing would probably work.

What's to stop the player from just attacking again rather than doing a defensive maneuver, effectively giving you two attacks?  If you've started a swing, you shouldn't be able to "actively" block with that weapon, although it might still block just by being in the right place at the right time (possibly leading to a bind?).  I guess I'm assuming this: all motions take a set amount of time, and when you commit to a motion, you can't do anything else during that time period, except by reflex.  Of course, you can still help your reflexes along by anticipating your opponent's attack and moving your shield accordingly.

I meant expand the grid into a 5x5 grid, with the outer regions only functioning as off balance regions.

Oh yeah, that sounds good.

About ranged weapons: yeah, reloads are bizarre right now.  I don't know about easily dodging a bolt from 30 feet though, google says velocity of a bolt from a modern crossbow maxes out around 250 fps, which means 120 milliseconds to react to visual stimulus AND get your body out of the way, which should require extreme agility and visual acuity.  Another source says medieval crossbows only got about 140 fps, which means 210 milliseconds -- still difficult but not impossible.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 04:20:01 pm by Footkerchief »

n2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2008, 03:50:29 pm »

I think dodging should require actually moving to another tile.
I think dodging by meter or a few centimetres has the same result, isn't leaping all around the place kinda amateurish? Especially if you dodge a thrust.

No.  The head might be more heavily armored
The head is never more armored than the rest of the body, because head armor hinders movements, sight, hearing.

or the opponent might be keeping his guard high
Wait it just got to me... is it possible or not to defend against an attack or you just get in defending position and pray your enemy will strike there? *TITAN KICKS*

How many attack areas are there? 9 for each opponent?
I think you should only get 1 maneuver per grasp per turn, no matter how many opponents...
that's right, but how many attack areas are there to strike at? I thought you relate them to opponent.
SSS
S@S
SSS
Fully surrounded, armed with a knife. Or a poleaxe. It does make difference right? Could you give me a (pseudo)command sequence on how to attack upper-right spider with a horizontal low right to left slash? Or just any other command sequence. (Another attack, target, etc.)

That's actually already accounted for with the grid system -- after a slash from left to right, your sword will still be on the right side, so you can't slash right again.
Now that's cool, even more if there would be a way to "store" combos in a form of "fighting style", maybe like chains of commands dunno. Not sure how to make it cool with fewer keypresses, and tons of keypresses suck, really.
But firstly you have to make difference between a combo, and returning to a stance, then attacking again.

Also, as you describe things now I can't see any catch in anything more complicated than repeated left-right swings or anything else equally dumb. If you can see where the opponent defends, and strike there, it means the opponent can do the same and defence is just for it to be somewhere, but not to actually work. If you can't, it's just randomly striking until you hit which is what we have now, but without complicated controls.

Ideally, it should be "sensible defence, working right when opponent attacks" and "sequences of attacks which are hard to defend against with sensible defence"... (Feints fall there too) Also we have skill values that should have some meaning (a lot of it really)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2008, 04:00:57 pm »

2 issues... AI and Casual Play.  Anything done to make this more complicated will need to have a reasonable 'auto/intelligent' attack option for the npcs and people who can't be bothered.  (Seriously... this is fun up until the second random encounter that takes 10 minutes)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2008, 04:09:29 pm »

The head is never more armored than the rest of the body, because head armor hinders movements, sight, hearing.

That's totally not true.  It was extremely common for troops of many eras to wear a solid plate helmet with the rest of their body protected by weaker segmented armor like chainmail or scales.

Wait it just got to me... is it possible or not to defend against an attack or you just get in defending position and pray your enemy will strike there? *TITAN KICKS*

You can get in position, but when the enemy strikes you can also defend by reflex, and the success of your reflexes will partly depend on whether you did a good job of getting in position.  At least, that's what I'm thinking right now.

that's right, but how many attack areas are there to strike at? I thought you relate them to opponent.
SSS
S@S
SSS
Fully surrounded, armed with a knife. Or a poleaxe. It does make difference right? Could you give me a (pseudo)command sequence on how to attack upper-right spider with a horizontal low right to left slash? Or just any other command sequence. (Another attack, target, etc.)

Okay... so first you press the upper-right movement key to target that spider, just like in the current version.  The attack grid for your right hand (if you're right-handed) comes up.  You press 3 (lower right) and 1 (lower left).  The game knows it's a slash because you pressed two different buttons (pressing the same button twice does a thrust).  Then the attack grid for your left hand comes up.  If you're using a knife and have a buckler on your left hand, you could bash with it (thrust or swing) or just hit Space to leave it in the ready position.  If you're using a halberd, you have to leave your left hand in the ready position so the swing can pivot there.

As bjlong mentioned, swings should start in an off-balance area (outside the actual grid), and since the halberd is such a long weapon, it might catch on the spider to your right as you start your swing, dealing him a weak blow instead.  Annoying, but realistic.  You might have to choke up on the halberd to use it while you're surrounded.

The other spiders, meanwhile, will probably tear you to bits since your back is exposed to half of them (the game knows you're facing northeast).  Perhaps you could block hits from the north and east spiders, but the block reflex would move your shield into an off-balance area, causing you to stumble and possibly fall.  Oops.  Don't get surrounded by spiders.

There's definitely fuzzy math here, especially stuff like swings in off-balance areas bleeding over into other tiles, but I think it can be handled.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 04:18:20 pm by Footkerchief »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2008, 04:15:13 pm »

2 issues... AI and Casual Play.  Anything done to make this more complicated will need to have a reasonable 'auto/intelligent' attack option for the npcs and people who can't be bothered.  (Seriously... this is fun up until the second random encounter that takes 10 minutes)

Yes.  I mentioned an "autopilot" mode earlier where the game would just use the standard combat AI to pick your attacks for you.  The combat AI itself could be simple -- random slash, random thrust, ad infinitum -- or complex, trying to anticipate your maneuvers and aim for weak points.  I doubt making complex AI would be anywhere near as difficult as implementing all this grid stuff in the first place.

n2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2008, 04:27:06 pm »

Choice is the illusion of freedom.
When you have all those attack grids etc there should also be a good reasoning on why to attack this or that way and not another (why it would be more effective) and why to defend here and not there (why is it better to). If there's no reasoning, then there's no meaning.

Complex AI in fortress mode is an arguable idea, also there's army arc somewhere ahead, and while your ideas may or may not be implemented, army arc features will be there for sure.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2008, 04:34:09 pm »

Choice is the illusion of freedom.
When you have all those attack grids etc there should also be a good reasoning on why to attack this or that way and not another (why it would be more effective) and why to defend here and not there (why is it better to). If there's no reasoning, then there's no meaning

You are absolutely right that choices need to be meaningful.  If you don't care where you hit the spider, just turn on the autopilot mode and hope for the best (like now).  However, what if you happen to know that these spiders have extremely thick chitin on their legs but almost none on their cephalothorax and abdomen?  Better go for a downward chop instead.

Also, even if you're doing manual combat (not autopilot), the interface doesn't have to be THAT painful or slow.  For a basic downward chop, it's just three quick presses on the numpad -- select target, start slash, end slash -- plus a tap on the spacebar to cancel the offhand maneuver.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 04:37:23 pm by Footkerchief »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2008, 04:48:29 pm »

isn't swinging for a weak point the kind of thing that experience is supposed to represent for a character?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2008, 04:56:08 pm »

This is a very good topic, lot of great ideas can be found here. [Well most of these proposed ideas can be found in other games already, but those games were absolutely epic. - I meant their detailed combat system of course.  :)]
Thus, here is an example from a game called Knights of Legend [Old DOS game]. The combat system in that game was fantastic.
If we could have something like this in DF...I would be absolutely pleased.  8)

"The fighting system of Knights of Legend is where the game really shines. Even to this day, more than fifteen years after the game was released, I have yet tosee a combat system in another game that even comes close to comparing to its detail and realism.

ARMED ATTACKS
-------------------
Armed attack involves three choices; an attack type, an attack location, and a defense type.

NONE: (Man shrugging his shoulders)
If you don't want to attack at all (usually to devote all your effort to
defense) pick this option; you won't attack at all the following round.

HACK: (Axe chopping)
This is a powerful overhead swing, using the force of gravity to add power to
the weapon. It's the most powerful of the three standard attack types, and also
takes the least stamina, but is also the slowest.

SLASH: (Sword Slashing)
Slash is a horizontal/diagonal slash with the weapon. It's not quite as
powerful as a Hack attack, and uses a little bit more Stamina, but is
substantially faster.

THRUST: (Sword Stabbing)
Thrusts are a quick, stabbing motion with your weapon. It's the most fatiguing
and least powerful of the three attack modes, but it's also the fastest, which
counts for a lot, as enemies that take a hit before they attack are less likely
to connect.

BERSERK (Berserker with shield):
Berserk is a special attack; unlike the three standard attack types
(Hack/Slash/Thrust) it cannot be targeted (it always targets the chest) and you
cannot choose any defense (you'll automatically use a Standing defense) It's
also more fatiguing and slower than any of other attack types, but it does a
lot more damage, too.

ATTACK TARGETING
----------------------
HIGH SHOT (Arrow at head):
This attack targets the upper body. Upper Body attacks usually hit the arms,
and can hit the chest as well, but will never hit the legs. If your character
is targeting an enemy substantially larger than his or her height, they may not
get the option to use this type of attack. (The height differential appears to
differ by race--a 3' dwarf can High Shot a Sledge more than 3 times his height,
but a 7' Kelder can't High Shot a Sylph that's a bit less than 2 1/2 times his
height)

BODY SHOT (Arrow at chest):
This attack targets the middle body. Middle Body attacks usually hit the torso,
but they can hit anywhere else on the body as well.

LOW SHOT (Arrow at legs):
This attack targets the lower body. Lower Body attacks usually hit the legs,
and can hit the chest as well, but will never hit the head (and almost never
hit the arms either).

DEFENSE TYPES
-------------------
Defense types pick the manner in which you attempt to avoid enemy blows. Note
that this is separate from parrying blows; (that's determined by weapon defense
skill) a character using no defense at all can still parry incoming blows.

NONE (Man shrugging):
Use this if you don't want to defend at all. There will be no chance to dodge
blows if you use this, but it doesn't take any stamina either. (You can still
parry though) Use this if your Foresight has shown that you're not going to be
attacked the following round.

STAND (Man Standing):
The manual says that a standing defense is better than no defense at all, but
as far as I can tell, there's really no difference, except that a Standing
defense takes a little Stamina. Unless "but narrowly misses him/her" counts as
dodging text (and it might, I don't know) I've never seen a standing defense
successfully dodge anything. Maybe it gives you a boost to parrying.

BACK UP: (Man backing up)
Attempts to avoid an enemy attack by backing up. Backing up takes more stamina
than a Standing defense, but is much more effective, though not as much so as
Jumping or Ducking.

DODGE: (Man dodging to the side)
Attempts to avoid an enemy attack by dodging to the side. Dodging is very
similar to backing up, and in terms of effectiveness, they don't seem to be too
different. I have noticed that Dodging seems to be slightly more effective than
backing up, though it may just be my imagination.

DUCK:
Ducking is a very effective evasion technique, but it takes a lot of stamina.
Ducking is especially effective against High attacks, but be forewarned there's
actually a minor dodging penalty for using Ducking against Low attacks. (You
can still dodge a low attack by ducking, but it's harder)

JUMP:
Jumping is a lot like Ducking, only it's more tailor-made for avoiding low
attacks. As with Ducking, Jumping gives you a minor defense penalty when used
against a High attack.

PANIC: (character running away with sword dropped)
Panic Defend is the most effective form of attack in the game; your character
will hunker down and cover him/herself up, which allows a very good chance for
dodging or deflecting blows. The downside is that this kind of defense is very
fatiguing, and you can't attack at all when using it. (If you picked an attack
type before, it will automatically switch to "NONE" upon picking PANIC)

PS:
You can read much more about it here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/564748/41039

PPS:
I am really wondering about Toady's plans regarding the Combat Arc. Let's keep our fingers crossed, that he will code in some neat combat system.  :)

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 04:59:02 pm by Tormy »

n2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2008, 05:00:09 pm »

You are absolutely right that choices need to be meaningful.  If you don't care where you hit the spider, just turn on the autopilot mode and hope for the best (like now).  However, what if you happen to know that these spiders have extremely thick chitin on their legs but almost none on their cephalothorax and abdomen?  Better go for a downward chop instead.
Yes, but if you go for a downward chop for every spider then the choice becomes meaningless, at least when fighting spiders. And there are not so many kinds of enemies.. So "this creature has a weak point there" becomes "if creature == <X> then attack <like that>". It's not even a decision. And forget about spiders, what about humanoid armed opponents? How to choose where to attack and defend?

Also, even if you're doing manual combat (not autopilot), the interface doesn't have to be THAT painful or slow. 
It's me what is slow. It takes little time to make a simple decision, but making one each turn may stack up u know...

YEAH RIGHT one more thing: we need a better wrestling system. Joint locks, throws, breaking limbs and defending against the same, all in a usable way. (Right now it's not usable) Martial arts should be introduced to DF.
"Drunk dwarven ninja climbs a wall of a palace up to the king's chambers. He greets the king with a club, takes the crown, and, singing a cheerful song disappears right in front of royal guards in a cloud of his own fart."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8