Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Armed Combat Overhaul thread.  (Read 18747 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Combat, Martial Arts, and Weapons suggestions
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 01:42:16 am »

Finally someone with "some" experience. I guess you did read the "Talhoffer" about the "German-fencing-school" (fence meant in midelages all kinds of fighting) right?

You forgot two things:

1.  Grabing the openents weapon. - The weapon of an opponent can be grabbed. Mostly done if you are in an "Binding/Winding" situation. For many technics you come very close to your opnent and grab his weapons hilt, it too is possible to grab an oponents blade if you have sufficient armor on your hands. Wrestling moves etc are possible too in some situation.

2. Stings/ Blows with the blunt "side". - Many weapons can do different kinds of damage. An Sword for example could do Pircing damage too as well as blunt damage. Many spears etc. werent not only pointy, they had blades that were capable of shlashing and the shaft of the spear was an good blunt weapon.

Oh and about Stances:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If somebody wants to know more about Medieval fencing:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 02:40:55 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 02:41:07 am »

I have but three things to say to the OP, and they are:

You rule.

You obviously understand how there is both a need for a more detailed combat system and how Dwarf Fortress wants to go way, way above and beyond the call of duty in more or less all aspects.

I salute you.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 02:45:11 am by Jetman123 »
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 03:07:18 am »

Okay, looking at the cube suggestion, this actually might be a good way to simulate stances. There is a 3x3x3 cube, and a stance allocates the body parts and weapons in sections of the cube.

When facing a unit in a stance, you get a projection of that cube into a 3x3 grid.

When you're facing a titan, or something else huge, the cube could be filled one body part, say, leg. But this would require multi-tiled units.

That's how I was thinking of the grid originally too.  Now I'm thinking of the grid more as representing the space in front of you, the wielder, no matter what size the opponent is.  That is, using the "keypad" model:

Code: [Select]
1  2  3
4  5  6
7  8  9

A slash from 4 to 6 will always be level with YOUR midsection.  A 3-1 swipe will always be at your head level or above (the height will depend on the length of the weapon, since the weapon is now tilted upward instead of held level).  This gives the adventure mode player a strong intuition about how the attacks relate to his/her body.

This avoids the need for multi-tile creatures.  So when you're facing off against the Titan, the game compares your bodies, and figures out that the top of your 3x3 "attack grid" only comes up to its waist -- then it looks at the Titan's body to figure out what body parts lie in each area.  Meanwhile the Titan's much larger attack grid is mostly empty -- your entire body  only occupies the bottom center square, meaning that attacks will tend to come from above, which makes sense.  This also allows smaller creatures to strike with greater precision against larger creatures.

Reverse weapon would be the following actions in the following sequence: turn the weapon around the pivot point, step diagonally foreward to put the creature in hilt-bashing range, and bash with the weapon's hilt, then recover to a neutral stance, 180 degrees from your original facing. This can't be performed if the opponent's changing your bind point, if the opponent is reversing his weapon, or if the opponent's attacking (though it does block the attack). More complex relations would be nice, but this is an improvement, and could probably be built on.

A lot of this seems to be assuming that the combatants are both using swords.  How would this accomodate a bind between a spear and an axe?

A more general question: even given a sword vs. sword situation, how "universal" are these techniques?  Medieval fencing is impressive, but building a melee combat system around it would be like making the wrestling system judo-only.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 03:30:32 am by Footkerchief »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 04:04:16 am »

The most fence books (and from there comes bjlong knowledge IIRC) are heavy on swords cause swords are "Noble" weapons. Note that this books are written for the medieval high society and not for teaching the comon crowd.

Talhoffer etc. had to sections about spears, schields, Quarterstaffs, Herbalism, astronomie etc. But these parts were minor to the swordschooling. An Axe was used (iirc) mostly like an sword with exceptions on blocking and stings mostly. The Q.stuff could be used like an crossover between sword and spear along with its own technics.

The "German-Fence-school" is the "basis" of most/all intereuropean styles of armed figting from (around) 1350 till the invention and mass usage of firearms.

I did Aikido for years (+ one year armed variant) and i do Medieval fencing after "Geman-fence-school" now. By compairring both many basic techniques are very similar up to identical. So the using the fencebooks as base of suggestion and refference is not so false and the stuff can anyway be generalised and abstracted later in the process.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 06:09:50 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2008, 03:22:35 pm »

Responses:

Grid system:

I like the idea of making this so that multi-tiled creatures aren't necessary... for now. This system does have its limits. For example, say a dragon is three times as long as a dwarf with, say, a spear, can reach. If the dwarf comes up beside the dragon, what section does the dwarf see? Moreover, if you attack the dragon's front, you might still get an option to attack the tail, which would be unrealistic.

Also, good point about the titan's attack grid. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Hilt bashing:

Hilt bashing with different weapons would be exactly the same, given that they are held far away from the pointy end of the weapon. Even a creature with hands on two parts of the hilt could reasonably perform this maneuver. However, there should be a range restriction going on. Something like you can only bash with the hilt if you are (furthest grasping hand's point on the weapon)/(number of dwarven feet per tile)->(integer--fractions always are rounded up to 1)  tiles away. So if I have a hand on my weapon's 2 and my weapon's 4, and it's 4 dwarven feet per tile, I can hilt bash if my step forward gets me 2/4=1/2->1 tile away. (dunno if we should count diagonal tiles as being one away, probably not, I think.)

Varying weapons:

I believe there are very prominent groups in England looking at the English long staff, as well as Phillipino martial artists who devote most of their lives to a slightly longer staff, and, of course, the Chinese studies of the staff, in varied lengths. It would be good to seek out people from all these martial arts, find out what the component movements are of these martial arts, and see if we can code them in. With quarterstaves coded in, we could add support for most of the pole arms, if we can add some logic dealing with the pointy/slashy bits.  Sadly, I haven't studied these MAs.

Axes and hammers are two of my favorite weapons--specifically, two handed axes. I haven't been able to practice with an Axe for a while for lack of equipment, but here are some things I learned from experience, and have no idea how to code in:

* The space between your hands is a good place to block--as you do so, you're already moving into a strike.
* Let your foreward hand slide down the shaft of the axe when you strike, and it'll be harder, further away, and you'll be less exposed.
* Put a spike on the head of the axe, so if you have to block low, you can still get some sort of strike in.
* If someone attacks your knees or below, you can drop to a crouch to block (which sometimes fails spectacularly) or move out of range of the blow. Other methods involve breaking your stance, and leave you open for attacks from everywhere else.
* Bearding breaks shields, stances. (Or: your axe's blade has a hook built in. Use it.)

Basically, most of axework depends on changing your grip points and managing the space between your hands. I imagine two-handed hammers being much the same.

A single handed axe can really be treated like a sword, at this point in time, but perhaps with an option to "hook shield," where you hook a shield with the bearding of your axe, and, until binding with shields comes into play, pull it away from your weapon side. Eventually, if more complex binding could become available, the axe could be used in a much more hook-ish way.

On a related note, are there any texts dealing with the axe? I've not been able to find any.

Two handed worries:

Something that's bothering me about this is the inability of a two-handed weapon to bind or block two things at once, or to block and attack in the same motion, which is really essential when fighting someone with two weapons or a weapon and shield. Perhaps these could be handled like so-- the two hander can change his bind points on both weapons by the same amount, can change one of the opponent's weapon's bind points, or can reverse his weapon around the nearer bind point.

Styles:

So far, I've tried to limit myself to the parts of the Medieval Fechtbuecher that are universal. I've probably failed in some aspect, but here are the defining characteristics in fighting arts that I see.

Medieval European (Liechtenauer)-- Timing and range are most important here, and most blows land or do not land by matters of seconds or inches. Also important are blocks that attack at the same time, the concept of in-fighting, weapon captures, and stepping off-line.

Phillipino stick fighting (Warning: Not a practitioner.): Constant. Motion. Every stance is a moving stance, and there is no such thing as binding. Triangle footwork is also important.

Japanese Sword Arts (Warning: Not a practitioner.): Much like Medieval European texts, setting aside the blade and moving immediately to an attack is key. Also key is the razor-sharp edge--instead of infighting and blade captures, the opponent who is able to more quickly put his edge on the other seems to win.

I have no clue about Russian weapons arts, Japanese arts dealing with non-sword fighting, or any other martial arts. Feel free to correct any of these styles.

I think that a specific region should be generated with a certain style, and that they train everyone in this style to begin with. Fighting against opponents with a certain style should raise your skill in that style. (But not as quickly as practicing that skill, and with a skill cap.) An adventurous or curious entity could attempt to practice that style. If a military dwarf with enough skill in many different styles gets a strange mood, that could allow him to try to "generate" a new style by combining elements of both styles.

Dealing with non-humanoids (possible solution):

So far, I've been talking about styles that would only deal with humanoids. This is because we know most about them--centaurs, not so much. If we can somehow implement enough features that we can check that all of these styles work in the game, and the game can create generative styles, we could then expand these styles to centaurs and dragons and what-have-you. As a note, I think only sentient creatures should be able to have more than one style.

This is getting away from coding issues, I know. I'm just putting out what needs to be done to accurately represent what I know about weapons fighting.

Heph, you come from Germany, right? What's that word you're trying to translate? Usually, I just say the Liechtenauer school, and that encompasses most of the fight schools from Germany.

[Edit: made more readable.]
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 07:06:43 pm by bjlong »
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 08:59:54 pm »

The "Fencing schools" (Fence = "Fechten", Book="Buch", Fencebook=Fechtbuch ) of Europe were divided in 4 different main Categories/Styles. This are the german-, the french-, the spain-. and the italian-Fence-shool. All base mostly on the teachings of Liechtenauer and Talhoffer wich are the most prominent Fenceteachers around 1400 and the creators of The German-fence-school.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 09:06:10 pm by Heph »

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2008, 09:20:48 pm »

This is getting away from coding issues, I know. I'm just putting out what needs to be done to accurately represent what I know about weapons fighting.

It was a relief to see this at the end of your post.  I read through all that thinking "oh god, that can't be modeled by any system we've discussed," but those are all good things to have in mind when brainstorming a system.  Once I've got my thoughts in order I'll post some more feasibility crap.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2008, 01:27:44 am »

Article I found on axe fighting.  Guy seems to know what he's talking about reasonably well, not that I'd know.  http://l-clausewitz.livejournal.com/369225.html

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2008, 06:11:35 am »

I whipped up some ugly illustrations of a possible grid system, mostly just to help myself visualize it.

I'm now envisioning the "grid" as arcs in front of the attacker, each one 30 degrees high and wide.  It's still 3x3, so basically you can attack/defend in a 90-degree arc.  These numbers aren't arbitrary -- 3x3 is a decent-but-not-excessive level of precision, and lends itself to quick, intuitive numpad-based controls.

Top down view of a dwarf's attack/defense arcs.  The purple dot represents the "at ready" position of the weapon, i.e. not extended for thrusting or slashing.

Side view of a swordsdwarf facing off against a titan.

Same thing, except with a spear instead of a sword.  Note that the greater weapon length results in a higher maximum attack height.

Some thoughts on mechanics and control scheme for extremely basic swing-and-thrust:
  • weapon starts in "ready" position, not extended
  • you can't thrust if the weapon is already extended, you have to bring it back to ready first
  • to thrust, double-press the numpad key for the area you want to thrust into
  • to slash from the ready position, press the keys for the "start" area and the "finish" area
  • to slash from an extended position, just press one key, and the weapon slashes from its current area to the selected area
  • to retract the weapon to ready, press the key for its current area
  • basic rule: maneuvers from ready position take two presses, maneuvers from extended take one press

Shields could be handled the same way -- each turn you get to move your weapon and your shield, if you have both (or both weapons if you're dual-wielding).  You can "thrust" with a shield to bash, or swing the shield to bash with its edge.  Shields should automatically move around to block attacks (there's no point to the game prompting you with something like "The enemy swings his axe from above, where do you move your shield?").  Shields that are already in the correct position get the highest block chance, shields in the ready position get a good block chance, and shields diametrically opposite from the correct position get bad block chances.  So you can either play it safe and retract the shield on each turn, or you can gamble and try to anticipate where your opponent will attack from next.

This is a very simple system, but it would already provide richer gameplay than 95% of actual swordfighting games.  You could even do Gladiator-style dual-wielding "scissor" decapitations by swinging your left-hand weapon from high right to high left, and your right-hand weapon from high left to high right in a single turn.

One issue is that the variable-sized grids (they depend on creature size, specifically the height of the GRASP, and the reach of the weapon) make it tricky to determine how different creatures' grids should line up -- i.e. when the titan attacks you in area 2 on the numpad (bottom center), what area of YOUR numpad should your shield be in to block the attack?  This is relevant to binding and parrying too, of course.  The easiest solution is that a) for creatures approximately your size (technically, with their GRASP at about the same height) you block high when they swing high, low when they swing low; b) for creatures much smaller than you, always block low, c) for creatures much bigger than you, always block high.  There's probably a better solution though.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 01:41:11 pm by Footkerchief »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2008, 08:14:50 am »

Good example images chief. This is what I was talking about in my first post in this thread.

n2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2008, 04:37:53 pm »

Footkerchief, what is your idea of representing which direction a creature is facing? I think it is important for your model, but so far I know of no rogue-likes to overcome this challenge.  (It is Very Damn Important for ranged combat and to perform a backstab. U can't do a surprise attack in the face right?) It comes before coding and going in details, how are u think to represent it graphically? For EACH creature in LOS in adv. mode, at the least.

Also, things like "press up+up+left for combo" are not very rogue-likish. That's like mount&blade with dwarves. (M&B rocks that's true, but we play DF because it's DF and not anything else) Controlling each of your limbs each turn is a bitch. Complication is not always a good thing, especially when you complicate controls.

Comparing creature heights to determine possible attack areas is a good thing. But titans should be able to kick, what a surprise if you only protect ur head ;)

Please, no mount&blade with dwarves.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2008, 05:31:54 pm »

Footkerchief, what is your idea of representing which direction a creature is facing? I think it is important for your model, but so far I know of no rogue-likes to overcome this challenge.  (It is Very Damn Important for ranged combat and to perform a backstab. U can't do a surprise attack in the face right?) It comes before coding and going in details, how are u think to represent it graphically? For EACH creature in LOS in adv. mode, at the least.

Currently the game has an extremely rudimentary orientation system -- if you're currently fighting someone, you face in their direction, at least to the extent that you can be attacked "from behind."  Beyond that, I don't know -- you could automatically face in the direction you last moved in or attacked in.

Also, things like "press up+up+left for combo" are not very rogue-likish.

Dead on.  But first of all, I'm not going for a cheesy combo system -- you'll be able to string together attacks, but not in a way that involves the game taking control away from you.  The "up+up+left" represents a simple direct motion, not the Flaming Fist of the Jeweled Dragon.  And secondly, traditional roguelike combat is a copout that delves no deeper than D&D cliches (HP, 2d6 weapons, etc.).  Toady's stated goal is for combat to "make sense" and most roguelikes don't even pretend to attempt that.  (I haven't played M&B)

Controlling each of your limbs each turn is a bitch. Complication is not always a good thing, especially when you complicate controls.

Yes.  There would need to be some kind of "autopilot" mode so that combat against insignificant creatures would remain simple -- you don't need to aim for a precision blow on every single elf in some podunk forest retreat.  The autopilot would just use the AI's methods of selecting attacks and weapon positions.

Comparing creature heights to determine possible attack areas is a good thing. But titans should be able to kick, what a surprise if you only protect ur head ;)

Good point, it's not all about the height of GRASP body parts -- if the creature attacks with another body part, like its tail or a STANCE, that height should be used for a separate attack grid.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 05:38:45 pm by Footkerchief »

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2008, 07:23:08 pm »

Excellent system!

Here are some possible additions:

• One can hit "s" before choosing an attack, to make it a strong attack. Should the attack miss or be deflected (more on deflection later), the creature is automatically off balance. Should it arrive, the damage is boosted. Should it be stop-blocked, there is a chance that the stop-block fails (more on stop-blocks later).
  • There are four extra divisions to simulate the creature being off balance--one to each side, one below, and one above. A strong attack that misses or is deflected, ends up in the corresponding off-balance square.
  • One can thrust from an extended position into the next square directly foreward, but must then recover to either a ready or extended position.
  • Slashes from the extended position are less powerful, and have a chance to be stopped if someone attacks the arm.

We need to talk about deflecting or stop-blocking. Stop-blocking would halt the attack wherever it was, and deflecting would knock it to a side--with some attacks, there is leniency of which side. Perhaps deflecting the attack could push the attack one of the receiver's grid squares away?

I'm thinking that when you choose a slash, the actual path of the weapon taken is from the "off balance" grid square through the two/three grid squares, and, if nothing connects with a regular blow, ends at the last square that could have a target. That way, a quick character could stop-block a blow and leave their opponent wide open for attacks.

I've looked at some videos of quarterstaff fighting, and I'm thinking that coding in two grip points might be harder than it originally seems. Parries by the middle section require huge changes in stance, and the strikes immediately after that are difficult to easily model.

As for things like making battles easy, it might be possible to have the system put in an autotarget, which filters out targets that the system deems "hard to hit." This should be based on how skilled you are compared to your opponent. If your opponent is more skilled than you, then perhaps it should work in a kind of weird reverse--it could only allow you to target lines chosen at random, because they're moving faster and they lean, twist, and do other fancy things that confuse their opponents. Or maybe something along that line.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 12:13:35 am »

There are four extra divisions to simulate the creature being off balance--one to each side, one below, and one above. A strong attack that misses or is deflected, ends up in the corresponding off-balance square.

I like this, although I'm not sure 4 extra divisions is enough (8 to cover the diagonals, maybe?).  Being thrown off balance should also entail a chance of stumbling in the direction of your swing, or the direction in which a blow was deflected -- so a missed swing up and to the left could make you stumble, uh, "back and to the left," while a straight downward chop would make you stumble forward.  There could be an even smaller chance of falling over after stumbling.  Obviously this could make you fall off cliffs or narrow bridges, which is awesome.

One can thrust from an extended position into the next square directly foreward, but must then recover to either a ready or extended position.

Do you mean you'd be attacking somebody two tiles away, i.e. not adjacent to your "real" position?  That seems strange, for a sword at least.  The disadvantage of a tile-based game is that you either move into the next square, or you don't.

Slashes from the extended position are less powerful, and have a chance to be stopped if someone attacks the arm.

Agreed.

We need to talk about deflecting or stop-blocking. Stop-blocking would halt the attack wherever it was, and deflecting would knock it to a side--with some attacks, there is leniency of which side. Perhaps deflecting the attack could push the attack one of the receiver's grid squares away?

Yes, although I'm not sure how you'd determine whether a blocked blow should deflect or stop.  That's a small enough distinction that it could be left random at this stage, I think -- perhaps certain shields could have varying probabilities of blocking vs. deflecting.  Shields themselves should get knocked around too.

I'm thinking that when you choose a slash, the actual path of the weapon taken is from the "off balance" grid square through the two/three grid squares, and, if nothing connects with a regular blow, ends at the last square that could have a target. That way, a quick character could stop-block a blow and leave their opponent wide open for attacks.

YES.  That's awesome.  Or a deflection could move the attacker's weapon into an off-balance area (again with the chance of stumbling).

I've looked at some videos of quarterstaff fighting, and I'm thinking that coding in two grip points might be harder than it originally seems. Parries by the middle section require huge changes in stance, and the strikes immediately after that are difficult to easily model.

Quarterstaffs and polearms do seem like the hardest case.  Okay, this is going to sound insane, but what if you still controlled each grasp separately for a multigrasped weapon, just as if you were dual wielding?  So to block a downward chop with a staff, you'd thrust your left hand to 7 (upper left), and your right hand to 9 (upper right).  The game knows that the staff is a straight line between your grasps, so it treats area 8 as blocked, and 7 and 9 as partially blocked (with a chance of getting hit in the hand).  To swing your staff like a polearm (or to swing a polearm) you would keep one grasp at ready/retracted as a pivot point, and swing normally with the other grasp.  To thrust, you would again keep one grasp retracted, and thrust with the other.  You shouldn't be able to swing unless you have a grasp retracted or moving towards retracted, which also means you can only swing with one grasp at once -- this means no twirling type stuff, but it's just too hard to handle (what happens when left swings from 1 to 8, and right swings from 3 to 8?)

So in the above scenario, after blocking a downward chop, you can move into a downward swing of your own in a very natural way -- retract left grasp, swing right grasp from 9 to 2, thwack.  You can then follow up with a horizontal swing by retracting right grasp and swinging left grasp from 4 to 6.  Then retract both grasps and thrust into 5 with your left grasp for a finishing jab to the midsection (note that this takes two "turns").

I'm sure that scheme is full of holes.  Going to go watch some of those videos you mentioned.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 02:08:06 pm by Footkerchief »

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 10:39:10 am »

This is a great topic, and i would love to see this put into the game. i don't think i can contribute in any way...wait, scratch that, i think i have some ideas

1) disarming has already been mentioned, but what about with different weapons? Someone skilled with a whip (or a chain) could disarm someone easily and from a distance.

2) sidestepping. it would allow you to attack areas that were not allowed from the front (this may be important with some creature). the reaction could be either turn with you or try to attack from the current angle (which may be easier with some monsters).

3)Spiked gloves, anyone?

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8