Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Armed Combat Overhaul thread.  (Read 18730 times)

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
Re: Combat, Martial Arts, and Weapons suggestions
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2008, 08:45:27 am »

I've been reading through this, and i have to ask: Will this be in real time, or turn based?

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2008, 12:02:36 pm »

This would be done in the fast-turn-based system that the game already uses.

I chose to put both [w] and [a] so that I could use them like parentheses, so that the last example on my post would make sense. I suppose we could get rid of that, but I would like to allow it as an alternate control scheme.

Second, six directions is good. And, yes, I'm talking about the vector pointing away from the handle.

I don't think that we need to worry about wrist control for weapons if we don't have rotation around the axis along the forearm. Let me explain: grab a rod. Hold it in front of you, with one hand, pointing straight up and down. This is the "foreward" position. Rotate your wrist to the left or right--not much difference, huh? Now rotate it so that the knuckles of your hand point downward. Hey, look, you're in a position to stab! Rotate your hand so that the knuckles point upward. Your rod should point back along your arm.

Now hold your rod in your first position again, and rotate your forearm. The tip should swing through about a 180 degree arc, with the final position horizontal. That's much more useful than the other rotations we were doing, besides the two vertically inclined ones. If you get your arm into it, you can almost go 360 degrees, which ends up being very, very useful. But it's also very, very stance changing.

Two handed weapons would have an "effective" wrist, caused by twisting the arms around--but if we want arbitrarily accurate positions, it'll probably become a mess.

For now, let's leave the buckler control scheme as an isolated example of what we would like to see in wrist control--we should get an OK comprehensive system rather than getting hung up on rod-like weapons.

Going back to your previous post, what we really need are length measurements for tiles, items, and anatomy. With those, the game should be able to know where everything is in terms of tiles, right?
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2008, 09:53:23 pm »

righto... but i think it should be simply put as having swords axes etc as one square, and then having spears double that, with halberds and pikes even further, i.e. allows for inter-z level attacks.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2008, 09:49:59 am »

A bit of a tap here--I have no clue what you're thinking about binds, Footkercheif, so I'm waiting for you to jump back in to talk about them.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

AfterShave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armed Combat Overhaul thread.
« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2010, 05:24:24 pm »

I'll revive this thread, because it's awesome enough.

I haven't read the whole thread since it's getting kind of late and I'm tired.
I suggest a placeholder aiming system at least until something more complex could be added in.

Simply it would be a toggle in the combat menu like the one where you choose to charge/grab/attack. With 3 aiming modes, one high, one low, and the normal one.
The low one would never hit above the stomach and the high one would never hit below. The normal would of course be able to hit everything.

Doesn't sound too hard to me but it probably is.
Gotta love the DF forums. A statement like this anywhere else could land you a couple years of counseling.

This is an anagram of my name
      Highborn Jerk Monster

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2010, 05:53:12 pm »

If (sic!) we continue this thread we have totake the new Skills and bodies into account which would make some parts of this thread horrible outdated.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2010, 06:09:39 pm »

Ah, this thread.  I fondly remember it as the one that dropped my grades on winter finals by a letter grade or two.

If (sic!) we continue this thread we have totake the new Skills and bodies into account which would make some parts of this thread horrible outdated.

I think we took into account the fact that body parts will have relative sizes, but yeah, we didn't have a clear idea of how the next version would handle BP positioning.  It's still not entirely clear to me how the game handles stuff like stab wounds passing through one BP into another, or one BP acts when it has multiple SURROUNDED_BY relationships.

Anyway, I still intend to go back through this thread with a fresh mind and try to pick out the sane/feasible parts.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2010, 06:42:41 pm »

Me too i just need to get some dozen swinehalfs and sharpened weapons for some testing of theorys  :P
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

eternal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2010, 11:00:57 am »

Bumping this thread for the new version, because it's awesome and I'd love to see any of this incorporated into the combat system.  Unarmed combat has options in DF and armed combat needs options to match.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]