Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding for Speed?  (Read 1204 times)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
Modding for Speed?
« on: December 04, 2008, 02:35:28 pm »

Is there anything that can be done to mod DF to actually improve the game's FPS?

Like removing a civilization or something?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Modding for Speed?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 02:41:13 pm »

Have you tweaked your init file?  http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Technical_tricks

Specifically you can try reducing your GPFS, turning on partial print, and turning off temperature.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 03:06:31 pm »

I'm still testing, but I think removing as many of the vermin creatures as possible has slightly increased my fps since it eliminates many of the creatures that need tracking. No swarms of flies, ect.

Amusingly enough though, you can't remove Toads or the game crashes :)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 03:21:08 pm »

I've done ALL the usual speed improvements.  Init options, DF accelerator (which actually set me up the bomb bad.  Mild corruption of graphics and dropping me from ~100 FPS start to ~3.)

I have a crappy PC for now, and while I can have a 7-dorf 2x2 fort with ~100 FPS, when I get to around 60 is drops to ~20 and becomes hard to play due to lag.

I've found the best init, etc. options.  But it's not enough!  I am fine chopping features to improve FPS.  I already exclusively play flat, waterless, magmaless maps with little wildlife, and keep little or no animals.  (Much slaughtering occurs!)  Anything I just gotta have is chained.

What vermin can be safely removed?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 03:38:12 pm »

You could remove all vermin is you wanted to, though since they don't exactly pathfind it might not help much.

There's a utility called Nanofortress which lets you embark on a 1x1 space if you want to, tremendous FPS savings.  If you got a spot with an aquifer you wouldn't even have water-flowing to deal with.

In modding terms though, about the only thing remove a civilization would do is get rid of goblin ambushes and such.  They eat up FPS like any sudden increase in creatures, but not really much.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

E-mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 03:44:20 pm »

I think you can disable ambushes and sieges by turning off invaders in init, right? And I expect removing human/elf civilizations would prevent them from sending caravans. (Technically, you could do this by throwing adventurers at their cities until they're all dead, but that would be faster.)

Either way, caravans and invaders are temporary visitors and it won't help the rest of the time.

I have about the same problem (aging laptop), but I don't play much so I don't find it too big a deal.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 05:02:32 pm »

On an unrelated note..

Are the Primitive Civilizations mod (Adds Bearmen, Frogmen, Snakemen, Tigermen, Goatmen, etc.) able to do the whole trade caravan thing?

I'd love to have more neutral/friendly civs.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 05:59:16 pm »

You could remove all vermin is you wanted to, though since they don't exactly pathfind it might not help much.

The affects do appear to be small to nonexistent - small enough that, though I think there might be a difference, it's definitely falling within the statistical noise. On some maps I seem to just get tons of toads to make up for the absence of other critters.

You can remove all vermin except for Toads and Purring Maggots (and actually you can remove those as well so long as you provide another milk source for every civ) and turtles (you can drop turtles if you provide another source of shells).

Again though, the effects are vanishingly small - I don't think this is the solution you are looking for.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 07:05:19 pm »

Yeah.  Hrm.

I just wish I could reduce pathfinding somehow.  I've got basically an open-wall fortress.  It's straight point-to-point.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 07:10:45 pm »

Real Speed increases can be had by making sure no piece of anything is not accessible to your dwarfs..

A single Piece of stone in a river is enough to slow DF down.

Multiple dwarves trying to get items that are not accessable will make the game crawl.  (Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.40d)

If something falls in the water.  FORBID IT.   

You will also experience massive slowdowns if you mark an area more than 500 tiles in size for smoothing or engraving and have more than 5 dwarves set to the task.   500 tiles is not big, Do smoothing in small increments.

Beware at flowing water.    Water spreading out over a large area kills DF. Make sure you contain all flows.    Incidentally, water inside a brook does not seem to actually matter, so you can leave it alone.

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.