Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Estimates  (Read 2345 times)

Shamasu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://world-of-dungeons.net/?link_eb_51408
Estimates
« on: March 14, 2008, 08:32:00 pm »

In the z menu, how about some kind of estimates near the food/drink stocks about how long the current stocks will last with the current number of dwarfs.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Estimates
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 10:15:00 pm »

I think that may be tough--For example, I have dwarves that prefer to consume dwarven beer, but when they are mining, I have only barrels of sunberry wine (or whatever it is called) or whipvine, since they provide the longest lasting buzz and they work longer.

In general, I attempt to keep that everywhere--but I also make a variety and import what I can.  A dwarf may prefer to consume the beer and seek it out as much as he will seek out the cave lobster biscuits that he loves, instead of a simple plump helmet.

So calculating the alcohol has to take into effect preferences, local availability on the map, and the duration of the effect, along with the supply at hand.

Add to the fact you are likely constantly brewing new batches, if you have unskilled farmers or herbalists, you will get smaller stacks of fruit to use at the still, which means less alcohol, mixed with greater skilled farmers.  Turn on the "all dwarves harvest" and I don't see how you can get a reasonable estimate.

For me, a fortress with over 1000 drinks for a 120 dwarves will survive the winter, but by spring I had better start brewing again.

igless

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 10:20:00 pm »

I think he means how long, if you do absolutely nothing, until the dwarfs start drinking water and catching vermin.
The great game of Warlocks!

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 10:55:00 pm »

Food and booze aren't really serious enough problems for experienced players for this level of inventory reporting to be useful or necessary.

Ooh, was gonna say something about projected wood usage, but a vile force of darkness just arrived ... gotta go!  (A siege!  Yay!)

"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 11:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Forumsdwarf:
<STRONG>Food and booze aren't really serious enough problems for experienced players for this level of inventory reporting to be useful or necessary.
</STRONG>

And that is a fundamental problem with the game, and needs to be fixed.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 02:39:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Forumsdwarf:
<STRONG>Food and booze aren't really serious enough problems for experienced players for this level of inventory reporting to be useful or necessary.</STRONG>

I'd find it useful, actually.

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 02:20:00 pm »

id love this feature
-Toast-_

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 02:40:00 pm »

Maybe at highest precision of records.