Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Physical Features Descriptions  (Read 2487 times)

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
Physical Features Descriptions
« on: August 19, 2007, 06:18:00 am »

I think a real nice feature to add would be that when you look at a creature, there would be a physical description as well. Hair and eye colour, frame, complexion and so forth. It would be especially funny in adventure mode to have a randomized appearance. It could work for engravings on walls and items as well, showing the physical features of the creature on it rather then just 'a dwarf' or 'a demon'. This could also be related to their engraving skill how well they could be portrait a creature. Then we can have nobles beating up dwarves for making them look ugly.

Also, instead of or as well as seeing wounds in different colours on the list of limbs it could be shown in the description with a bit more flavour, for example;

"The goblin has a deep cut on his left lower arm and a blackened right eye."

Many other things could be added, like being dirty and facial expressions to show the creatures state of mind.

Yeah, just some small thoughts. It might already be in a bloat somewhere but I fear venturing into that list. Anyways, what do you think?

[ August 19, 2007: Message edited by: FaultyLogic ]

"It's unpossible!"

nerdpride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Physical Features Descriptions
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 02:39:00 pm »

Scarring would be an interesting feature, any red or yellow wounds would leave behind a telltale sign of the unit's experience with combat (wait, do red wounds even heal?  Maybe just yellow).  I would sure as hell stay away from anything with more than four scars.

It would be good for the adventure-ish mood, but there's a huge list of stuff I'd rather see first and this sounds a little complicated.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 02:57:00 pm »

Read the wiki.

To quote from the linked wiki article:

quote:
Generally, light or moderate wounds will heal in about a week. Broken body parts will likely take some months of bed rest to recover, and a mangled part takes an indeterminate amount of time to heal. Severed limbs will not grow back.

Yellow or red wounds have a chance to heal on season changes. The likelihood of yellow or red wounds making a recovery is quite variable, and the process appears to be somewhat buggy (although it has improved in recent versions). Limbs are more likely to eventually heal than internal organs. In particular, moderate or worse injuries to the neck or spine will never heal.

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 03:17:00 pm »

I think some form of physical descriptions and facial expressions have been thought of and are in the bloats, but scarring would be pretty wicked.
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 01:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by nerdpride:
<STRONG>
It would be good for the adventure-ish mood, but there's a huge list of stuff I'd rather see first and this sounds a little complicated.</STRONG>

Yeah true. But I think it would be great in fortress mode as well. You have a special dwarf you really like, and would be able to see a physical description of him. Maybe he would really cool, or ugly, or mean or wathever. He would probably have a uni-brow.

"It's unpossible!"