Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Making a Pixie civilization  (Read 5907 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making a Pixie civilization
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 05:24:21 pm »

I've tweaked the pixie creature code some more, not alot of change.

also, to Jurassiced, thanks for telling me that, but i want to know EXACTLY what it does. So i'm not just wandering in the dark at whether my pixies will live or not.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

i've started learning about entities, and i've come up with the first Pixie Civ entity draft.

I'm still very unknowledgeable, so if you look closely you'll notice that i've placed x's by some things. these are things i'm still sort of confused about.

I haven't changed any of the weapons, armor, or other items, as i'm still learning how those work.

Also, how much does Ethics impact the race?

Also, would it be worth it to create a special language for my Pixies?

Sorry about how some of the tags are sticking out oddly, i wrote it here on the forum and not on the notepad files.

I hope I didn't give them too many Biomes, i'll probably end up trimming that down. Does everything else look acceptable?

Once again, i hope i don't end up making them super-badass by accident.

Oh yeah, and Neoskel, don't worry, you can have the Brownies. Good luck on your project btw!

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 07:19:42 pm »

I don't mean to insult your knowledge on the topic Marlowe, cause lord knows i haven't studied mythology at all, but every website i go to seems to bunch Pixies and Sprites into the same category.

That was the point.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 07:43:49 pm »

oh man, this must be another one of those crazy jokes i don't understand, just like "ambigauche".

I guess what i was trying to say was they they're too similar to be changed on a small whim.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 08:01:14 pm »

The point was that the word "pixie" was already in use, and I was suggesting another word for the same thing. Ergo, you should see pixies and sprites in the same category.

I need to double check on seeing Dark Faerie fortresses in freezing/scorching areas. There's not a lot of those areas on my recent maps anyway, but I'm sure they're there.

I've definitely seen goblin forts in freezing conditions. I think start biome trumps climate for preference (or do goblins have higher layering anyway? Need to check).

I haven't posted any details on the Faerie because they're not finished. Currently I'm debating whether to make cougars trainable.

We get to embark with them ;D

I just realised that I need to rename everybody's crossbowmen to "Archers". I modded bows to use the crossbow skill to make them usable, but this will mean that everyone's bowmen will be called crossbowmen. But I'm at work.

And it's test day. Meaning no classes.

I have nothing to do but freeze. And paperwork. But mostly freeze.

EDIT: I DID miss something. Goblins are layering 10. Dwarves are 50. I imagine layering 50 will give you a decent range.

Oh, and I don't think "improved bows" has any real fortress mode effect. It's just to allow Elf leaders to have decorations on their bows that elves can't normally have.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 08:53:10 pm by Marlowe »

Jurassiced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 08:33:10 pm »

theres a program that does it for you its by Serkib not sure where to get it though
POKHOMME http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=84 Race mod im working on.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 10:11:07 am »

theres a program that does it for you its by Serkib not sure where to get it though

I've started looking at the weapon tokens, and this looks simple enough.

one thing though, it looks like the wiki's page is outdated, or atleast incomplete, seeing as how the [TWOHANDED] tag isn't in the wiki apparently. From what i can tell, the TWOHANDED tag dictates what size a creature must be to be forced to wield a weapon with two hands. clarification would be nice.

also, it would appear that ranged weapons don't need a tag to indicate that they give experience to the Marksthing skill.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 10:20:41 am by chaoticjosh »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 10:24:27 am »

[TWO_HANDED] is still in the string dump.  MINIMUM_SIZE can also force a creature to wield a weapon two-handed, if the creature is just barely big enough (I think).  I guess the intended use of TWO_HANDED is to force all creatures to use both hands regardless of size, but I've heard it doesn't work.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2008, 10:28:32 am »

neat new avatar Footkerchief, i have no idea what it is, but it's neat.

i'm thinking about giving my Pixies blowguns, or maybe just tiny bows, or both. either way though, you think it would be appropriate to give them special tiny ammo?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2008, 10:29:53 am »

Haha, thanks.  It's a helmeted fighter pilot from Freespace 2.

Tiny ammo: why not?  Miniature everything for the pixies!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2008, 10:34:32 am »

One other thing i want to do is reduce the amount of damage the tiny weapons do, but i'm not sure how damage works. in the raws its just a number, so i assume that halving the number that normal-size weapons have oughtta do the trick.

Jurassiced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2008, 11:24:01 am »

[TWOHANDED] just says if they dont have two hands they cant use said weapon
POKHOMME http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=84 Race mod im working on.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2008, 12:31:18 pm »

hold up, i was looking up Bows in the wiki and it says this:

[edit] Bow
A bow works the same way as a crossbow, except that is uses arrows instead of bolts. Dwarves cannot equip bows (stubby fingers), and the interface is such that they still cannot be wielded in Fortress Mode at all, even with modding. They can still be used in weapon traps, although you can't make arrows and so will be dependent on merchants and spoils of war to supply reloads.

When firing arrows it uses the bowman skill. When attacking with melee, it uses the swordsman skill, although it's a bludgeoning attack.

does the bolded still hold true? or is this some sort of exaggeration or changeable thing?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2008, 12:38:13 pm »

hold up, i was looking up Bows in the wiki and it says this:

[edit] Bow
A bow works the same way as a crossbow, except that is uses arrows instead of bolts. Dwarves cannot equip bows (stubby fingers), and the interface is such that they still cannot be wielded in Fortress Mode at all, even with modding. They can still be used in weapon traps, although you can't make arrows and so will be dependent on merchants and spoils of war to supply reloads.

When firing arrows it uses the bowman skill. When attacking with melee, it uses the swordsman skill, although it's a bludgeoning attack.

does the bolded still hold true? or is this some sort of exaggeration or changeable thing?

I think I saw somebody saying recently that's not true, and selecting Crossbow will actually enable any usable (i.e. not too big) ranged weapons.  Haven't confirmed it myself.  Fortunately, you can experiment with that without generating a new world -- if they won't use the pixie bows, switch the skill from BOW to CROSSBOW.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2008, 07:17:53 pm »

I've finally gotten around to doing the weapons, what do you guys think? I've decided not to include blow guns after all.

I THINK that the CLASS is what the bow the is looking for when it looks for what ammo it needs, so i've made it PIXIEARROW in the class for the arrows, and placed PIXIEARROW in RANGED tag. please correct me if i'm wrong.

Now i just need to figure out to set my pixies to be able to build them.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2008, 07:29:29 pm »

Now i just need to figure out to set my pixies to be able to build them.

Just make sure the weapons and ammo are available in the entity definition, and that the entity permits the necessary professions.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6