Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Legoland  (Read 2768 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Legoland
« on: December 03, 2008, 05:45:27 am »

I was thinking about the upcoming material changes, and what it would mean for building and crafting.  The idea came of a system where everything is made of one material, as I was putting together a Lego model.  Bam.  And since the next version seems to be slipping further into the future, I wondered if something similar could be done now.

My first plan was to have all creatures drop "metal" bars to make things, but all the fuel use didn't seem right.  You build Legos, not smelt them.  Plan 2 was dropping stones and adding CAN_STONE to weapons, but that doesn't cover armor, beds and other things.  "Wood" logs could work, but I don't think wooden armor can be ordered, and it renders mining useless.  Of course, a gameworld that completely ignores mining would be an interesting changeup.  Of course, writing a ton of smelter reactions to turn anything into needed stuff is also do-able, but smelter reactions feels like a cop-out.

The Lego part is really just a special feature to a total conversion of a gameworld where everything is one all-purpose material.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Ideas?  Tips?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legoland
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 06:53:23 am »

when i saw the title, i thought, when i looked slightly to the right, i would see the name Legolord. i believed that this was gonna be a play on his name for a second.

besides that Aqizzar, i don't really catch your drift. you want where EVERYTHING is made out of one material? toward what end?

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 07:39:30 am »

when i saw the title, i thought, when i looked slightly to the right, i would see the name Legolord. i believed that this was gonna be a play on his name for a second.

besides that Aqizzar, i don't really catch your drift. you want where EVERYTHING is made out of one material? toward what end?

To be LEGO!!
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 11:12:23 am »

hmmm.

Mining could be digging into the bin for chunks of pieces, and they could 'smelt'/deconstruct into pieces at low percentage numbers.  (100% block, and 5-15% other stuff).

Can you smelt out a sword?

All you reactions could put together pieces?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 11:41:40 am »

hmmm.

Mining could be digging into the bin for chunks of pieces, and they could 'smelt'/deconstruct into pieces at low percentage numbers.  (100% block, and 5-15% other stuff).

This whole thread sounds like a good idea, although I think for the above the percent chance for a block should be more like 55%, allowing for more different items.  Of course, there could be multiple reactions, like "find sword," "find shield," etc., all with a small chance of simply producing blocks.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 12:21:09 pm »

hmmm.

This whole thread sounds like a good idea, although I think for the above the percent chance for a block should be more like 55%, allowing for more different items.  Of course, there could be multiple reactions, like "find sword," "find shield," etc., all with a small chance of simply producing blocks.

Okay, that's a system I certainly didn't think of.  undug stones are essentially Schrodinger's Bricks that are revealed for parts at the smelter.  Creatures could drop a different 'stone' guaranteed to be something creature related, different layers could be different levels of parts, gems would be all-important special pieces.  practically everything would be tied through smelter reactions rather than workshops, though it would require some finagling to keep stones out of the Mason's shop.

Admittedly, it's a strategically pointless mod, since it removes any sense of scarcity.  Mainly it's a planning experiment to see what sort of world-systems can be built with fancy raw-modding.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 02:55:02 pm »

You could have different types of lego bricks. The ground bricks would just be normal 2x4's, rare bricks could be different types of brick and differently colored bricks(Minin' for 1x1's!). Trees would be more specialized bricks, perhaps flat bricks?

Really, there a LOT of different legos. Now if you had a stone/wood/metal for each kind of lego, then you could in theory have enemies drop a shower of bricks that would be used to make them.

Get enough pants, torso, hands and head pieces, and you can smelt people!

Of course, these alternate parts would have to be crazy common to make up for how many of them there are.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 03:09:59 pm »

This would go great with my LEGO mod (which I accidentally posted in general discussion)
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 10:41:40 pm »

I think it would be best to treat the stone and metal layers as though you were digging through a real person's collection of Legos. Looking through my own rather voluminous Lego box, I see a general matrix of half-completed models, which could probably be broken down and re-used for other means. Mixed in with this are small 'inclusions' of individual bricks, along with 'veins' of special pieces, which contain all-important 'clusters' of minifig weapons and equipment. Scattered sparsely throughout all of these groups are small pockets of Mega Bloks, mostly somewhat useless incompatable bricks, but sought after for their high-quality minifig equipment pieces. Of course, not everything in the box has to be building bricks: perhaps your miners may strike a small chamber deep in the parts bin with walls made of pure K'nex? Maybe the 'Plastic Colossus' G.I. Joe could rise from the depths to unleash spring-loaded light-and-sound doom upon your fledgling fort?

Looking back at this paragraph, I now realize just how much of a dork I really am.  :'(
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 10:47:36 pm »

I think it would be best to treat the stone and metal layers as though you were digging through a real person's collection of Legos. Looking through my own rather voluminous Lego box, I see a general matrix of half-completed models, which could probably be broken down and re-used for other means. Mixed in with this are small 'inclusions' of individual bricks, along with 'veins' of special pieces, which contain all-important 'clusters' of minifig weapons and equipment. Scattered sparsely throughout all of these groups are small pockets of Mega Bloks, mostly somewhat useless incompatable bricks, but sought after for their high-quality minifig equipment pieces. Of course, not everything in the box has to be building bricks: perhaps your miners may strike a small chamber deep in the parts bin with walls made of pure K'nex? Maybe the 'Plastic Colossus' G.I. Joe could rise from the depths to unleash spring-loaded light-and-sound doom upon your fledgling fort?

Fantastic ideas all.  That's the conclusion I came to after the ores-as-bricks thing, and does indeed describe a large Lego box to a tee.  Coming up with specific definitions of what ores can be used for what purpose is tricky, but I'm liking a system build around practically nothing but smelters.

The plastic creatures are great too - maybe Megabloks and K'Nex and such could be the other races.  Just a pity the game can't actually forge creatures.  Not yet anyway.

Looking back at this paragraph, I now realize just how much of a dork I really am.  :'(

Say it loud and proud.  Legos are never dorky.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 10:51:54 pm »

You have other toys mixed in with your Legos? Deplorable.

You have Megablocks mixed in with your Legos? HERESY.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 01:06:46 am »

Heretic! Burn Him! ;D

But this looks like it could really cool thing, my only regret is that we can't smelt large creatures yet.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 12:44:20 pm »

The advantage to using prime(ish) numbers for the rarity of the pieces is that you won't get 3-4 things at once very often.  If you model clumps as, well clumps, you can get 5-10-20 pieces out of one clump (Always get a 4x2, usually get a 6x2, 50% 2x2, and then small chances of various other things...)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 04:10:57 pm »

I am not sure how the shower of bricks idea would work, as doesn't the [ITEMCORPSE] tag always use the last listed tag?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 06:24:46 pm »

You have Megablocks mixed in with your Legos? HERESY.
There is only One True Brick, and that is the LEGO!  The only way to redeem yourself is to Buy MORE LEGOs and download my LEGO mod(for DF)!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 06:43:47 pm by LegoLord »
Just so I remember
Pages: [1] 2