Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Development Schedule  (Read 3903 times)

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Development Schedule
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 07:12:53 am »

It feels like Toady isn't working very hard on DF at the moment - it's hard to say, but when the only real impression we get of how things are progressing is the development log, it's sometimes hard to be confident. I'm really eagerly looking forward to the next release, but I fear Toady is getting tied up with minutae (such as hair and teeth), and saying things like "There are lots of weekend days this month -- as many as possible..." sounds a little like he's lost passion for DF somewhat. I know I don't stick to a strict schedule with a project I enjoy (and I am a developer myself).

The statement occurred during November, which, if you look at a calendar, started on a Saturday and ended on a Sunday.  This means that despite only having 30 days in it, that November contained 10 weekend days, which is as many as is possible for a month.  The statement was simply informative, without hidden meaning or implications about motivation.  Jeez, people, calm down.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 07:17:10 am »

Anyhow, to inform people once again about why Toady is going on this Tangent

Toady right now is trying to finish a great deal of the additions to the game that will break save compatability.

So this teeth and hair are either done now or save breakingly later.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 07:26:44 am »

As I understand it, Toady is currently working on a new materials system which will allow for various kinds of awesomeness further down the line. The problem is, this means he has to go through EVERY existing entity (every tree, every plant, every creature) and change the entry to fit his new format. Thus while there isn't a lot of awesome new stuff, he has to get the tedious parts out of the way in order to get to the awesome new stuff.

My only problem with the way Toady does things is his complete refusal to allow anyone other than himself access to the source code. While Toady is a freaking creative genius, its pretty clear his code is a little lacking in some areas, i.e efficient rendering algorithms. The fact that programs like Dwarf Accelerator and Dwarf foreman exist are proof that there are coders out there with the means and motivation to help out, but can't do much more than they're already doing without access to the code.

On the bright side, it sounds like the changes Toady is making now are going to have the awesome side-effect of making the game much easier to mod. Dwarf lung golems, Beer Elementals and what have you.

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 07:49:51 am »

Please keep in mind that toad has stated many times he's doing this for fun and doesn't want it to feel like work, thus the closed source, work with others on the project, etc. Other than that yes I wish he could get the releases out quicker(who doesn't, toad included).

Dwarf lung golems, Beer Elementals and what have you.
Okay now Beer Elements are fucking must! I've been want these for a long time now.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 08:03:07 am »

What Toady decides as his work schedule is his own business and we do not and should not have any say in that decision.

That said, almost all proprietors of successful startup businesses work on weekends.

Actually we DO have a say in that decision. Toady can just ignore us.

I am sure if we ALL said for example "Start taking breaks on week ends again or we will stop donating" and meant it... He would.

Of course that is called customer responsibility and frankly no one here has that. "Hey doesn't this shoe fund killing people? AWSOME!". Yet alone enough to use with something as pointless as this.

Actually, if I was developing something and the community demanded me to change my schedules I would just give them the middle finger and tell them that if they don't like the way I do things then they can just fuck off.

The last thing that I would need in a community is dickheads that come with threats.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 08:04:45 am »

And thus did Skyrage go out of buisness

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 09:09:54 am »

I've been following progress on Toady's development for the past year and a half and have a growing concern for Dwarf Fortress' future.

Keeping in mind how long past arcs have taken to implement with full month work cycles. At the current rate of the Dwarf Fortress development progress with the end-of-month break the next release should be out by June 2009. Now I do not know what Toady's end-of-the-month project is, but it is certainly not as lucrative or popular as his main project at this moment. There's a depression coming, and if you doubt that then at the very least you know we are in a recession. It's going to get worse. Toady needs all the development time he can get to finish dwarf fortress and implement as many features as he can if development halts for some reason.

I believe development should resume as it last was without a 6-8 day month-end break, otherwise this Army-arc might be only finished come 2010. Please discuss within reason.

You sounds like my brother. Look...stay on the ground of reality. Toady is basically coding the game alone. Now take a look at the devlist....
Toady isn't coding DF on the weekends, but who is working on weekends anyway? Just think about that. Besides, this is his project, so it's completely up to him, that how much time is he spending on coding the game.

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 09:16:26 am »

I recall toad saying he was going to start on the army arc before the 10-11 months before z-axis release was released, so 2010 maybe a bit too optimistic, that said he still managed to rake in the cash.

Note: He is working weekends just on a different project.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 09:23:48 am by Fourth Triad »

Mu.

• Bay Watcher
  • Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 09:26:18 am »

Richards, Poster has issued a mandate

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2008, 09:29:51 am »

"Ehm, sir Richard, would you kindly pull this lever?"
* IndonesiaWarMinister leaves and lock the door.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 09:41:55 am »

Richards, Poster has issued a mandate

Hehe, I lol'ed. Good one.  ;D

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2008, 10:19:16 am »

Name any one game developer whose schedule is dictated by the community. Go ahead. I only need one single name.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2008, 10:22:15 am »

Neonivek, even if you donated, that doesn't make you a customer.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2008, 12:05:22 pm »

To me, this isn't a capitalist exercise.

There is a 'donate' button on the Bay 12 website. I hit the button to give Toady money. A Donation. I get nothing in return.

Toady can do what he wants. He could go fishing for a month if thats what he wanted to do. I would still donate as long as it was getting done (even slowly). Dwarf Fortress will be done at Toady's schedule, and frankly Toady's mental wellbeing is far more important than even ONE MORE release of Dwarf Fortress.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2008, 02:24:09 pm »

I was thinking we were about due for a "DOOM DOOOOOM COMES TO DWARF FORTRESS"/"Toady isn't working on interesting/important things now!"

Remember when he was working on the world-gen wars there were all those complaints that he wasn't spending enough time on gameplay?  Now he's working on gameplay and people are still complaining.

If you want to help Toady, donate.  I don't think he needs our advice, particularly.

Personally, I'm astounded at how self-motivated he is, and I'm a pretty self-motivated guy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4