Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 106

Author Topic: Flamebanner: The Battle of Flamebanner!  (Read 131205 times)

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
Re: Flamebanner (Community Fortress)
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2008, 05:46:58 pm »

Fireheart's Journal 26th Timber

Our numbers swelled once more today with a double birth.

First Skid gave birth to a boy who she named Kol Woundseers and shortly after that Newb gave birth to a boy who was given the name Sodel Sanctumtours. I swear if we didn't have so many children looking after the babies nothing would get done around here.

Work continues on the Grand Project. We've dug out another level under the lobby and Barbarossa smoothed down the walls. We also dug out the first 2 suites which will house the worthy dwarves.

9th Moonstone

The Leatherworker Vabok gave birth to a boy today. She named him Urdim Longfenced.

16th Moonstone

We completed a project today. For monthes we've been working on building a repository of knowledge. We bought dozens of bins of books off merchants from the Humans and Mountainhomes. The Library of Flamebanner opened to the great joy of the populance.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I had Barbarossa engrave every inch of floors and wall he could reach. He did a wonderful job and many of us spent hours admiring the variety of the pictures.

The majority of the engravings were of my own ascension to leadership, our journey from the Mountainhomes, many engravings of our warriors killing Goblins including a few rather grisly depictions of Wok severing heads. For some reason Barbarossa thought it would be a good idea to engrave a window in the floor as well.

17th Moonstone

We set up the kitchens and stills in the lower levels of the Grand Project today. We have yet to bring in the cooking implements but the workspaces are ready.

6th Opal

Orwen has shown us another of her plans today. This time for a shining gate made out of solid gold protecting the entrance to the Grand Project. The masons spent several days moving bars to the site but they finished the first level of the gatehouse.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

22nd Opal

Jillian gave birth to a girl today. She named her Iden Nourishtower.
------------------------------------------------------------------
We have 8 kids running around now which brings us to 27 total dwarves.

Also I'm getting rather sick of calling the hotel the Grand Project so if anyone has an idea for an actual name just post it here.

And there are still lots of Dwarves up for grabs if anyone is interested.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2008, 07:34:55 pm »

The Lego Hotel.  It is going to be shaped like a 2x4 brick, right?  Or am I mistaken?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 23, 2008, 07:41:51 pm »

The brick is going to be part of it, but won't be housing the entire place. Unless I can figure out some fancy carving plans.

Its my first time making anything megaproject worthy so its a SLOW process of experimenting with different ideas and savescumming when they either collapse or kill somebody. I've already had about half the Dwarves in Flamebanner die at least once from an experiment gone wrong.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 26, 2008, 08:39:39 pm »

back! looks like the hotel is going well! May i request a suite for Barbarossa? maybe you could bring food there too, so that my dwarf would never stop carving windows into floors!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 26, 2008, 10:36:30 pm »

I've already installed a couple kitchens and stills and am planning to put a small cellar under them.

You'll more likely then not have a suite Barbarossa but not for a while. At the moment there are 3 who are more deserving and will be recieving the first 3 suites which I must say are already much nicer then the main bedrooms in the fortress.

I'll have an update up within a few hours. Hoping for some Goblin fighting this time.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2008, 01:30:10 am »

Fireheart's Journal 11th Obsidian

Lancejewels joined our workforce today. He seems to be having a tough time picking a profession so I'm not sure what hes going to be doing yet.

15th Obsidian

After trying several things Lancejewels finally found his calling. We captured 3 female wolves in the border cages earlier and as soon as they were brought in Lancejewels was taking them out of the cages, feeding them bowls of Skid's plump helmet and meat stew and surprisingly they seem to have lost all their aggressiveness.

I was so impressed by this that I've made Lancejewels out official animal tamer. I also had the wolves put into one of the empty breeding pens.

25th Obsidian

We finished the walls of the hotel gatehouse today. For some reason Orwen's plan left 4 holes in the walls but she seemed to know what she was doing so I didn't question her. I hope I won't regret it.

27th Obsidian

Orwen never ceases to amaze me with her ideas for the hotel. The holes in the gatehouse were filled today with windows that Legolord built from Clear Zircon. They look truly beautiful as the sun hits them.

14th Granite

The Elves returned again. They had a new addition to our breeding pens this time: a tame Grizzley Bear. We also got another Rhesus Macque along with the alcohol, ropes and barrels.

We also caught a male Wolf in the same spot as the females. We're guessing he was looking for his missing mates. Thanks to Lancejewels he is with them again in the breeding pen. With any luck we'll have some Wolf pups soon.

25th Granite

Wok killed a thief today. He somehow managed to cut its left arm and leg off while cutting it in half.

2nd Slate

Another thief was spotted today by one of Sarek's cats but vanished into the trees before the Warriors could arrive.

23rd Slate

Hawkfrost reported that she had spotted the last of the Fire Imps on the surface while she was on patrol. I sent her out with Sir Nil and Vabok to rid our territory of the annoying creature.

Hawkfrost spotted the Imp's fiery form through the haze rising from the magma pipe and charged. She swung her axe and managed to sever the Imp's right leg and arm. As the Imp fell to the ground with foul smelling goo pulsing from the wounds he managed to toss a fireball at Hawkfrost's face, setting her beard alight. As she went running for the brook Sir Nil stepped up and smashed the creature's head into the ground, snuffing its flames.

Hawkfrost suffered a few bad burns to her face and lost a few inches of her beard but otherwise was fine.

12th Felsite

We dug out the office for the hotel manager off the lobby today. I then set Barbarossa to engraving it. He engraved the usual things: the founding of Flamebanner, the Warriors killing Goblins, Myself ascending to leadership and random pictures of mountains, sweet pods and grates.

He also did a very nice picture of Akhier beginning his duties as a Mechanic. Also for some reason he refuses to explain he made an engraving of me admiring coins. We don't even have any coins in this place, something I am truly pleased with and intend to stick to.

10th Hematite

The humans returned today and I put the Warriors on guard duty at the main gates to prevent any Goblins getting in.

I requested out usual alcohol and metal and traded for the merchants entire load of alcohol and about 50 bars of various metals. The stockpiles may already be overflowing with metal bars but what kind of Dwarf would turn down more metal to work with?

Wok sounded the alarm as Goblins sprang from hiding and rushed the gate. Wok cut down both Speargobs with a single stroke of his blade while Sir Nil used his shield to deflect the bolts of a Crossbowgob until he got in range at which point he smashed his hammer into its side with such force that it flew over the wall, surprising the Humans greatly. Vabok meanwhile had been buried under the 2 Wrestlers and was fighting for his life. Sir Nil pulled one off him and smashed it into the ground while Vabok finished off the other. Nil sent Vabok inside to get his wounds cleaned and bandaged.

23rd Hematite

Another group of Goblins ambushed today. Wok and Sir Nil were the only ones on duty but didn't even notice the Goblins until the cages at the gates caught a Wrestler and Guard. Then they rushed into the fight, Sir Nil getting pummeled by a Wrestler before he could send it to join its brethren in the refuse heap. Meanwhile Wok had cut the heads off the other 2 Wrestlers and was wiping the blood from his sword when an alarm went off in his head and he rolled to the ground seconds before a huge blade cut the air where his neck had been.

Standing up with his blade at the ready he sized up his foe. A large Goblin clad in dented and cracked iron armor. His armor may have been shoddy but his weapons was anything but. A giant axe with blood red jewels set into the the sides in the same design as the tatoos covering his face...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 07:31:47 pm by thunderclan »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2008, 01:05:33 pm »

Wooo! An axelord I presume? Wok and Sir Nil must combine into WokaSnil in order to defeat the menace!
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2008, 06:29:29 pm »

An Axelord and only the second elite Goblin to invade our territory.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2008, 07:22:44 pm »

You made some spelling errors, you called Hawkfrost a he.

Its great otherwise though.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 27, 2008, 07:30:06 pm »

Thanks for pointing that out Hawkfrost. Thought I'd gotten them all.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 07:32:12 pm by thunderclan »

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 27, 2008, 09:23:24 pm »

23rd Hematite...Continued

Shouting a warcry Wok charged the Goblin Axelord, intent on adding its head to his collection. With surprising speed the Goblin ducked under the sword blade and brought his jeweled axe up to smash against Wok's breastplate, knocking him back a few steps. Wary of this Goblin's speed Wok parried the next axeblow and managed to thrust his sword through a crack in the armor, smiling at the pained cry that issued from its throat. Wrenching his blade free he prepared for another thrust when the flat of the Goblin's axe smashed into the side of his head dazing him and allowing the Goblin time to strike again, this time tearing through the iron greave covering Wok's left leg. As the axe bit deeply into flesh Wok fell to the ground as blood flowed down his leg.

Gritting his teeth against the pain Wok stood, sword at the ready. Expecting an easy victory against the wounded Warrior the Axelord raised his axe and charged. As the Goblin's axe swung for his head Wok raised his blade and slashed down and across the vile creatures body, the force of the blow shattering through the rusted armor and cutting deep into the Goblin's chest while halting its charge.

As the Goblin's blood coursed from the wound Wok raised his blade one last time and ran it through the Goblin's throat, watching as the cruel glint in the creatures eyes faded and its corpse fell staining the ground with blood. As he raised his sword in victory he stumbled and fell once more, darkness consuming his vision.

He woke a few hours later in the barracks, Sir Nil, Vabok and several civilians gathered around him with worried looks on their faces. As he raised himself on one arm he saw the heavy bandages around his leg. The crowd parted to allow Fireheart through. He was followed closely by Hawkfrost. It took him a moment to realize that Hawkfrost was carrying the Axelord's head. After the head was placed in Wok's pile Fireheart sent Skid and Korgan to bring food and ale from the storerooms for Wok. It looked like all he needed was some good food and rest before he'd be back to decapitating Goblins again.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

How was that for a battle Wok? ;D

Also what did you guys think of the non journal entry style of this report?

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 27, 2008, 09:36:27 pm »

More like a story.
You tend to rush things though, I do it too when I write a story.

But I like the style you have.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 27, 2008, 10:57:17 pm »

I got another kill? How bad were the wounds actually? Light? Heavy, but healed quickly? I think you need to let Nil and Vabok get some more kills.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 27, 2008, 11:43:15 pm »

More like a story.
You tend to rush things though, I do it too when I write a story.

But I like the style you have.

I went with the journal entry style since it seemed simple for someone like me who isn't that great at writing.

But I think I'm going to continue the non journal style for a couple updates to see how it goes. Maybe try switching to less material per update but more story on each event of interest.

I got another kill? How bad were the wounds actually? Light? Heavy, but healed quickly? I think you need to let Nil and Vabok get some more kills.

You had a light head wound and a broken leg that healed to a light wound fairly quick. The kill count would be more spread but you and Nil are always around the gates.

The current count is

Wok: 15
Sir Nil: 13
Hawkfrost: 6
Vabok: 3

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2008, 03:26:35 pm »

i personally like either method of your entries. as long as you keep this going, i'll be enjoyin' it  ;D

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 106