Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 106

Author Topic: Flamebanner: The Battle of Flamebanner!  (Read 131178 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Flamebanner: War Footing
« Reply #1500 on: October 19, 2011, 11:33:07 pm »

If I remember right, I'm the only member of the old order left. That should be a somewhat big plot thing.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: October 20, 2011, 12:49:50 am »

It may very well be one...even more so if you actually survive (Still alot of enemies out there)

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: October 20, 2011, 02:52:37 am »

As the masons put the final touch on their project the throng of Dwarves assembled to watch cheered. The bright sun shimmered off the jeweled symbols that now adorned the top of each gate as well as the Barracks and Dining Halls. Now any lackey of Uktang's that dared set foot on Thunderclan territory would know that the five clans of Warrior Dwarves survived despite their best efforts at Spiderthorn and the clan fortressess...

Thick plumes of smoke filled the air as Goblin soldiers rampaged through Falconmount, slaughtering Dwarves by the dozens as massive boulders pummeled the ancient architecture to rubble. At the head of a bodyguard of Goblins clad in thick black plate strode Uktang himself, sneering at the fallen Dwarves as he walked through the streets of the Dwarven Capital.

As the Demon Lord entered the heart of the fortress his guards surged ahead to strike at the tattered  remnants of the enemy army. Ignoring the battle Uktang marched straight into the throne room where Queen Manorspread waited.

"Please." Uktang said casually as he looked at the sword and axe clutched in the Queen's hands. "Your soldiers have fallen like wheat before my host and now it is your turn."

"Armok will prevail." Manorspread said before she charged the Demon. The end came quickly, the Dwarf run through by Uktang's sword even as the Demon's fire melted her armor.

Wiping blood from his weapon he raised his voice in a booming roar that carried throughout the halls of the fallen fortress. As his guards came into the room, some showing off new trophies the Demon turned to address them.

"The reign of Mestthos Manorspread is at an end." Uktang said. "The Dwarven Queen lies dead and soon the rest of the bearded fools will follow."

"What are your orders Master?" One of the Goblins asked.

"Gather the treasure and the prisoners." The Demon ordered. "Once that is done we march South...There is one final task to take care of. Flamebanner will burn and the Warriors of Thunderclan will be destroyed...And with the death of the last Warrior clan Armok himself will have no choice but to beg for his pitiful life."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Capital has fallen and the Queen is dead! Flamebanner is now alone in the world, the only Dwarven fortress to remain free.

defferhead

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: October 20, 2011, 09:45:17 am »

I haven't caught up in reading yet to this point, but may I request a dorfing?

"Defferhead" - a dwarf of some sort, preferably.

When I catch up on reading (100 pages of "print layout" to go!), I intend to get involved in writing in-character replies.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: October 20, 2011, 07:57:58 pm »

With the loss of the Capital the remnants of Dwarven society fell apart. Parties of Goblin soldiers roamed the land, capturing any Dwarf, Human or Elf they could find and throwing them into servitude for Uktang's armies. The caravan routes were overrun with teams of skeletons bringing supplies to the gathering host and carting treasure back to Uktang's fortress.

In Flamebanner the loss of fresh supplies was not nearly as bad as it may have been. The standards created by Newb years before had been strictly adhered to and the storerooms were well stocked with food from the greenhouses and breeding center while the Mining Guild delved deeper into the earth to supply the forges and stoneworkers.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: October 28, 2011, 03:41:24 am »

Late Spring Year 35

Dozens of Dwarves streamed along the road between the fortress proper and the new Temple of Armok which had finally been completed. Magma glowed brightly within the glass arch marking the entrance to the complex. Inside the massive, gold covered doors the space was lit by magma lanterns placed between statues of Flamebanner's great heroes, all leading up to the statue of Armok. Carved from red felsite and inlaid with dozens of precious gems the masterpiece was terrifying. At the statue's feet sat a simple, gilded wood throne.

With everyone finally seated the ceremony that had brought them out began. Kanet and Shedim led the procession of Warriors, followed by the various Nobles and Guildmasters and finally the Count and his Consort.

"For a year now Flamebanner has stood alone." Kanet began, looking out at the sea of Dwarves as he spoke. "Our Warriors have killed dozens of enemy troops since our civilization collapsed and we will kill hundreds more!"

"With this grand temple we are once more favored by Armok. Today we take the final step." With that Kanet stepped aside to allow the Count to stand before his people. Two priests stepped from the sides, placing gold bracelets on his wrists and presenting him with the sword he would use to strike down his enemies and restore light to the darkness.

"Do you accept the ordeal of power?" One of the priests asked.

"I do."

A third priest stepped up with a gold crown in his hands. "You govern and unify the Dwarven people." Revealed the priest, placing the crown atop the Count's head.

"The time has come to appear in glory." The crown bearer decreed. Preceded by the three priests the Count ascended the steps to the throne where the two Clan Leaders waited with the Countess.

"May Your Majesty rise like a new sun and take his place on the throne of the Dwarves." The Countess said, bowing low.

Kanet stepped forward once more and took a stone tablet from the Countess. "Here are your royal names." The Thunderclan Leader announced in a clear, steady voice.

"Rich in Armies, Powerful in Victories
Chosen of the God of Blood, Powerful in His Rule
Armok-Begot-Him, Son of Fire."

The crowd sat silent, enchanted by the magic of the moment. Shedim traded places with Kanet.

"A Royal Couple rules the Dwarven Kingdom." Shedim said. "Step forward Erith, take your place beside the King as Royal Wife and Queen of the Dwarves."

As the former Countess stepped up beside her husband the lead priest turned to the crowd.

"Dwarves of Flamebanner, I present to you King Imbit and Queen Erith, Rulers of the Dwarven People!" As the echo of the priest's voice faded the gathered mass broke into cheers as the new rulers absorbed the joy of their subjects.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, first time I've had to do a crowning, luckily my current book gave me some good stuff to work with. Within a couple more updates we will be entering into battle with the enemy. Have at least one more point I want to cover before we reach the battlefield...Something involving a certain pair of dwarfed forum people :P

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Flamebanner: A New King
« Reply #1506 on: November 01, 2011, 07:27:13 pm »

Woo, still going! Nothing can stop this thing, even the loss of the fort that started it all.

Heck, I'll take dwarf #5 or whichever I'm on now. Hammerdwarf, forgotten son of Speardwarf. Remained in the capital when Speardwarf's amnesia spell took him on his adventure to Flamebanner. Escaped and is now a refugee come to help defend the last bastion of dwarven might.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: November 29, 2011, 03:11:09 am »

Early Winter Year 38

3 years after the crowning of King Imbit the fortress of Flamebanner was at it's greatest. The ever present threat of Uktang's army still lingered but the last reports placed the army far from the fort, camped for the last year in one of the many ruined cities.

Under the combined leadership of Kanet and Shedim the defenses were strengthened with several old plans finally put into action. Now tunnel networks connected the fortress proper with the guard house at the Flaming Wall as well as the newly restored Northern Outpost. The old ballista emplacements were torn out as the structure was reinforced and upgraded with new creations made by the Engineer's Guild.

The Warriors themselves had not been resting while this happened though, The Shadowclan survivors had blended well into Flamebanner society to the point that several new recruits had chosen to be taught the Shadowclan way of fighting. Many new recruits had restored the ranks of the army and the barracks had been expanded several times to accomadate them all.
A fair number of these new soldiers came from the two biggest families in the fortress. That of the King and Queen and that of Kanet Fireshield and Argonnek.

The wedding of the two battle-hardened Warriors in Summer of Year 36 had been the talk of the fortress for months and numerous images of the event adorned the walls. Those that knew the couple well were pleased that the long-time lovers had finally wed...

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: November 29, 2011, 03:31:24 am »

Mid Spring Year 40

"They come Your Majesty." The scout Atwin reported, kneeled at the foot of the King's throne. "Uktang's army is only a matter of days from our borders. Goblins, Undead, Kobolds, Vampires and many others have been spotted in their ranks and the Demon himself leads them."

"Then the time has come at last." King Imbit siad, one hand dropping to the hilt of his sword.

"Kanet, tell the forges to step up production and the engineers to check that our siege equipment is in working order. Argonnek, Make sure every Warrior is fully equipped and knows their squad assignment. Shedim, go to the Medicine Dwarves and tell them to be ready to treat the wounded." With his orders given the King rose from his throne and left the room as the trio of Dwarves hurried off on their assignments...

"My people! The time of battle approaches at last! Your training will soon be put into effect as we engage our enemies! Prepare yourselves to march!" The voice boomed, silencing all others...

The time has finally come, The Battle for Flamebanner will soon begin. Any last minute Dwarf requests should be made ASAP! Also if anyone wishes to do a post from their Dwarf's perspective do it quick.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flamebanner: The Battle of Flamebanner!
« Reply #1509 on: November 29, 2011, 04:51:30 am »

I'll have any military dwarf you care to give me (preferably Swordsdwarf)

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: November 30, 2011, 04:00:39 pm »

You're in (It's much easier to Dwarf people when I don't have to actually find a Dwarf to match the request.)

Also in case anyone is curious how I'm going to do this without a fortress and still keep it (hopefully!) interesting. I'm NOT going to write from the best possible outcome. Major points such as the fate of the major characters will be left to random chance. I promise that if a major character is marked for death I will do my best to make it as dramatic as possible and not take the cheap 'you get stabbed in the face with a spear and die' approach.

This is the big one though, every enemy will be present, epic battles will ensue, dwarves will die and surprises will spring up. When the dust settles Flamebanner will either have weathered the storm or lie in ruins.

To give you an idea of the scale: Figure that since I no longer need to actually train fighters that we'll have around 70 trained fighting Dwarves. Now remember the Spiderthorn side-story and realize those numbers will be coming to Flamebanner now. Figure 10-20 THOUSAND+ enemies and you'll have a rough idea of the odds. The numbers aren't set in stone yet...

elwessweettea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: November 30, 2011, 04:49:15 pm »

Nooo! Another 40d storyfort isn't being played anymore!

Does that make 0 or 1 left?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 04:52:06 pm by elwessweettea »

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: November 30, 2011, 06:05:43 pm »

At least I didn't just break off the story when the fort files were lost. I'm still as determined as ever to finish it off properly, like I planned back at the beginning...sort of.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: November 30, 2011, 06:20:31 pm »

Nooo! Another 40d storyfort isn't being played anymore!

Does that make 0 or 1 left?
There are three left that I'm aware of.
Halltraded, Migrursut, and Blockedlance.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: December 01, 2011, 08:03:58 pm »

Ok, I don't have the time to go through 101 pages to find the answer so hopefully the readers will be able to help out. What was the name of the Warrior who managed to survive without a throat???  ???
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 106