Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 106

Author Topic: Flamebanner: The Battle of Flamebanner!  (Read 131203 times)

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
Re: Flamebanner: Siege of Spiderthorn
« Reply #1425 on: May 25, 2011, 08:54:26 pm »

Finally! Some action!

A Dragon just showed up with the Year 33 Summer Caravan. Still no sign of the Goblins or Undead or Kobolds but this should be fun anyway  ;)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: May 26, 2011, 11:41:41 am »

Well, even though 40d dragons are pansies, it's something more interesting than nothing.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: May 26, 2011, 12:29:53 pm »

Plus, this is a Flamebanner Dragon...So it could very well end up having diamond hard scales or something. Haven't really decided how I'll boost this one yet. We do only have 8 Warriors though: 7 Champions and Elite Marksdwarf Wheatly.

Hoping to be able to finish with Spiderthorn by the end of next week so I can get back to Flamebanner. Honestly, I've been kind of neglecting the fortress since I've been swamped with other games and such. Why do there have to be so many fun games out there!!!  :)

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: May 28, 2011, 12:08:37 am »

Spiderthorn

As the sound of the Goblin's horn spread over the city the rest of Uzet's army leapt into action. Vampires and Stingtails dropped from the sky, the latter swarming over the Dwarven Marksmen while the former returned to human form and waded into the thick of things, blood quickly staining their armor and swords as they hacked and tore a swath through Skyclan's Warriors, while on the ground Saingur led his people through the traffic jam at the broken gates, weaving among the soldiers to leap, snarling atop the closest Dwarf.

Catching a mace swing on his shield, Iger kicked the wielder's legs from under him before finishing the Goblin with a stab of his sword. Ducking under the swing of another enemy and rolling out of the growing circle of enemies, the Riverclan Warrior came to his feet, slashing through a wolf as he rose and turned to face the enemy.

The courtyard was lost, Dwarves dropping like flies as the walled area filled with more and more enemies. Several small islands of resistance still remained though the defenders were reduced to hiding behind their locked shields as the merciless Undead pounded against their steel wall.

Knowing in his heart that those Dwarves would not survive, Iger sighed inwardly as he hacked at the bare bones of a Wrestler. He knew the battle was lost, knew that their numbers were no longer sufficient to hold any part of the city against Uktang's horde.

As the skeleton fell and his sword clashed against the blade of another, Iger raised his voice, roaring to be heard over the noise.

"Retreat! Dwarves of Spiderthorn, retreat and seal the doors!" Those nearest the fort entrance ran through, intending to shut the doors if the enemy tried to follow them. They came up short, horrified expressions on their faces as they remembered that the massive stone doors had been blasted from their hinges by the arrival of the giant shelled spiders.

Sheer panic overwhelmed the army at the point, many soldiers flinging down weapons and armor as they fled deeper into the fortress in search of someplace to hide.

As those who could escape did and the rest were cut down or torn to shreds, Iger gripped his sword hilt tighter, tossing his shield into the face of the nearest enemy so he could draw the axe from his side as well. With these weapons in hand he charged into the mass of enemies, hacking and slashing at green skin, bleached bone and dark fur in a terrifying battle trance.

Without his shield he was much less protected though and a lucky axe swing got past the flashing weapons and sank into his left leg, blood rushing down his leg as the weapon was pulled free. Grunting from the sudden pain, the Warrior's attack faltered and the skeletal soldiers took advantage of this to bring down the troublesome Dwarf, axes and swords biting through flesh and maces crushing armor.

Finally, with a gasp of pain, he fell, bleeding from over a dozen places and with one leg dragging along the ground. Shadows leaked into his vision, blotting out the light as the enemy entered the Dwarven halls in search of loot and the retreating soldiers...

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: May 28, 2011, 01:20:42 am »

Spiderthorn

Gasping from the chase through the underground halls, Shedim leaned her back against a wall as her eyes passed over the small group of Dwarves that had gathered here. The room had obviously been used by one of the more work obsessed members of the fort as in addition to the workshop space there was a bed and a small stock of food and booze which the group shared among themselves.

Screams could be heard echoing through the halls as the enemy rooted out and eliminated the fleeing defenders. Tuning out the sound the Shadowclan Leader turned to one of the other Warriors, who was wrapping a piece of cloth around a leg wound and using another to dab at a large scratch on his forehead.

"Do you know if Anriz and Iger made it in?" She asked. When he shook his head in reply she moved onto the next, making her way around the room until she had learned the fate of her fellow clan leaders. Both had died, Iger in a blaze of glory as the others retreated and Anriz beneath a cloud of Stingtails, their poison finally overcoming him.

"We need to get out of here." She said, loud enough to be heard by the others but hopefully not loud enough to attract attention.

"How?" One of the Spiderthorn garrison asked, his tone indicating what he thought of her plan.

"The mines." She answered after a moments thought. "They were tapped out years ago so there is no reason for anyone to go down there. Plus, those insect creatures got into the tunnels somehow, we can use their tunnels to escape."

"And what if their tunnels lead right into the enemy camp?" Another Dwarf piped up.

"It doesn't. Myself and two others scouted their camp and saw no sign of digging. We would have noticed." The silence showed the respect these Dwarves had for Shadowclan's scouting abilities.

"We'll wait awhile until things calm a bit and then we'll make our escape. By then they should be busy celebrating and not paying much attention to the halls." Shedim said decisively...

General Uzet managed to keep his excitement suppressed as Uktang's face appeared in the air before him. "Success my Lord." He said, bowing to his master.

"I assume you have cleansed that fortress of Dwarven life?" The Demon asked casually.

"N-Not yet." Uzet replied slowly, worried now. "But we control the city and fortress and my men are sweeping every tunnel as we speak. If any Dwarf remains then we'll find them."

"Very well then." Uktang said after a long moment, not commenting as his General heaved a sigh of relief. "General Bax has broken the defenses at Shadowkeep Island and Necromancer Zakosp has decimated the fortress on Windmist Moor."

"What should I do now Lord?" Uzet asked. "Loot Spiderthorn and then gather your army and make haste to Riverview Point. The Dwarves there are proving too stubborn for the commander there to break." Uktang ordered before turning his gaze on Kaloh.

"As for you, your skeletal forces and Silverthorne's vampires will proceed to Skyedge Forest to root out the last of the bearded idiots there."

"As you command." Kaloh replied, bowing deeply to the Demon as the image faded...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And thus ends the tale of Spiderthorn, many hundreds of Dwarven lives were lost, including those of 3 Clan Leaders. New enemies were introduced and (hopefully) small glimpses into the world were made.

(Seriously, I think I have created more fortresses then existed back in Year 4. And, if anyone is curious I'm using a name generator for the names of other places not central to the story. Spiderthorn and Flamebanner are the only to I took my time with naming.)

I'll probably get to that Draconian visitor over the weekend and that update will mark the return to Flamebanner. Hopefully you guys enjoyed the side trip.  :D

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Flamebanner: Fall of Spiderthorn
« Reply #1430 on: May 28, 2011, 12:20:23 pm »

I sit in eager anticipation for the next update!

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: May 29, 2011, 03:33:47 am »

Dwarf me
Name:Mc Clay
Profession: axdwarf
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: May 29, 2011, 08:23:55 pm »

'Tis a dramatic tale indeed.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: May 29, 2011, 08:28:22 pm »

*Claps mightily*

I forgot, did I survive in Flamebanner?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: May 29, 2011, 10:52:51 pm »

Honestly, my list has been lost during one of my virus sweeps so I don't actually remember who you were.

The list of surviving Warriors is as follows:

Kanet Fireshield
Argonnek
Derek "Hellbringer"
Sable
Kigok
Hugo
Ahra
Wheatly

Clay, you'll be in once I have a Axeman available. I kind of let recruitment slip too  :-[

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: May 29, 2011, 10:54:07 pm »

I was Derek.

Woot!

If I remember correctly, I was one of the last elder warriors. I also gained the title of Decapitator, i think.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: May 30, 2011, 12:19:02 am »

Despite a continuing fear of dying horribly which kept immigrants from making the trip, Flamebanner continued to slowly recover from past events. The craft shops were turning out trade goods at a rapid speed while Mayor Cerol continued to meet with the traders. The forges were still severely understaffed, with only Kol and Dungeon Master Illral seeing that weapons and armor were kept in good repair.

Kanet was looking over the model of Flamebanner in his office when a knock at the door announced Argonnek's arrival. As Thunderclan's Deputy stepped into the room, Kanet noted the grim look on her face...and the similar look on the Dwarf that followed her in. Dressed in fine spider silk clothes and with the heraldry of Queen Manorspread stitched on the breast, it was obvious that this was someone important.

"A messenger from the capital Kanet." Argonnek said, directing the Dwarf into a chair.

"Thank you Arg." Kanet said as he slid into his own chair.

"I am Ritas, royal messenger in the service of our Queen. I have been sent to bring you news that effects all Dwarfkind." The stranger said, pulling a roll of paper out of the bag at his side and passing it across to the Leader.

Picking up the roll and breaking the seal revealed a lengthy message from the queen as well as reports from several sources. His eyes widened as he quickly scanned the writing.

"Are you to wait for a response?" Kanet asked.

"No, the Queen's wishes are simply that you continue doing what you have been, fighting against Uktang's forces." Ritas replied.

"Then I hope you won't be offended if I ask you to leave us to discuss this." Fireshield said. "Feel free to rest before you return to the Mountainhomes."

"As you wish." Ritas said with a respectful bow before taking his leave.

Kanet looked over at his Deputy and she could see the concern in her lover's eyes.

"Spiderthorn has fallen. Uktang's forces laid siege to the city and exterminated everyone inside the walls." He said slowly. "Reports that were made by a handful of survivors reported Goblins, Kobolds and Undead making up the bulk of the army with Vampires, Werewolves and some sort of strange insect creatures providing backup."

"So Uktang is stronger then ever." Argonnek said slowly, her mind processing this information. "At least a siege would have cost them dearly."

"They took the city in two days. Over three thousand Dwarven soldiers and civilians were killed." He said, holding up a hand to halt Argonnek's next words. "It gets worse."

"The other clans were present as well with most of their Warriors. Iger, Num and Anriz were killed and Shedim is presumed dead as well."

"Even four clans couldn't hold them?" The Deputy shivered as that horrible thought went through her mind.

"Not only that, the enemy forces continued their victory streak. They moved on to take and destroy the fortresses at Shadowkeep Island, Windmist Moor, Riverview Point and Skyedge Forest. The other clans have been completely decimated and any survivors are either in hiding or in the capital." Kanet added, passing the papers to Argonnek.

"What hope is there for Thunderclan then?" Argonnek asked, concern filling her voice.

"Plenty, provided we prepare." Kanet answered. "Gather everyone in the courtyard for an announcement."

"Dwarves of Thunderclan." Fireshield said as he gazed out over the crowd gathered below the stage. "Uktang's forces have not been seen in our territory for many months and I know that some had hoped they had given up."

"They have not, We have recieved word that they launched a series of attacks that destroyed not only a large number of Dwarves but the other four clans as well." Kanet had to wait a minute to regain silence as shocked conversation broke out among the crowd. "We will not allow this to go unavenged!"

"As of now Flamebanner is on a war footing. We will be looking for as many new recruits as we can get as well as new additions to the Metalworking and Masonry teams." Kanet continued. "There will be a constant guard on both the South and East gates as well as the Watchtowers."

"Now." The Thunderclan Leader said, gesturing to Kol, Gasis and Derek to step onto the stage. "See one of these three if you wish to become a Warrior or join the Masonry and Metalworking teams. We'll review and choose the best roles for everyone and make the announcements tomorrow."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to request new Dwarves, I have no limits on how many a person can have (Plus, it saves me the trouble of coming up with names for them so I can tell them apart.  :D)

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: May 30, 2011, 12:21:40 am »

Dermonster, your current titles are Decapitator (self-explanatory) and Kill Master (Also self-explanatory)

And I believe you're right, I believe you are the most senior Warrior...Now the question is, can you still fight after a couple years of downtime?  ;D

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: May 30, 2011, 12:26:58 am »

You bet your ass I can!

Every dwarf I ever take on is a whirling dervish of badass. In an alternate time line of Failcannons sequel, where i was a leatherworker that wasn't mentioned for who knows how many years, I punched out a fire elemental without getting hurt, And still punched out a few more forgotten beasts, when I already had a perfectly good sword on me.

In TowerSoared, I have about 14 Forgotten beast kills to my name, Solo!

There's probably a few other things I'm forgetting! It's probably all still completely badass!

No damn goblin thing is going to stop me!

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: May 30, 2011, 12:47:40 am »

No damn goblin thing is going to stop me!

I think Goblins are the least of our problems. Also, what about an army? Can even a whirlwind of death like Derek bring enough hell to beat an army?
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 106