Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 106

Author Topic: Flamebanner: The Battle of Flamebanner!  (Read 131230 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Flamebanner: Returning To Greatness
« Reply #1335 on: January 28, 2011, 07:39:56 pm »

We're currently experiencing technical issues that I'm still trying to fix. (Whoever came up with the bright idea of viruses and all the other computer based FUN should be fed to a dragon...)

Yes the invention of these useless computer programs/viruses was a cruel and un-needed joke that not many people laugh at anymore (only those that find it fitting to cause others discomfort just to make themselves feel good), removing them are sometimes easy. Or hard in which instead of trying to fix it you just reload the OS (but still manage to backup the important data by safely transfering data from infected HDD to a clean HDD.)

Yes they should be fed to a dragon.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: January 28, 2011, 10:49:19 pm »

Yeah...At the moment I'm pretty much reduced to filling lifeboats while I rally the troops for a final stand...

Flamebanner is on indefinite hold...

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: January 31, 2011, 02:38:31 am »

The fight has been won! All infections have been killed and the computer is once more working flawlessly and blazing fast.

I hope to do an update no later then Wednesday, also Hugo, I'll be sending you some other character info I've received for your artwork.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: January 31, 2011, 10:34:31 pm »

Stupendous, Also Looks like I'll be re-reading this story again. It seems I need to get that "Im so in this story" feeling again, As I've tried drawing Sir Nill and failed several times. Maybe I'll just hold off on drawing him and try the others. Can't wait too see what other surpises Flamebanner will have come its way. :P

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: February 03, 2011, 05:37:55 am »

Since nothing is happening in Flamebanner right now and I wanted to actually keep my promise of an update today (For Once :)) I decided to take a look into what the rest of the Dwarven world is doing to fight Uktang.

(Also curious if anyone will notice what else I added here. HINT: Take a look at the Dwarf Language file.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sethalkurik (Spiderthorn)

Pushing open the door of the fortress barracks, Kurel stepped through, nodding a quick greeting to the Dwarves grouped around the table. As the scarred soldier took his seat at the middle of the table his gaze swept over the maps that cluttered the marble surface.

"What's the latest?" He asked, taking the time to fill a mug from the nearest barrel.

"Only three of the scouts made it back. They didn't dare get to close to the enemy camp for fear of being discovered but their reports say that the Goblins number at least 4000 and more were still arriving." A black-haired Dwarf answered, pushing a stone tablet across the table.

"Any sign of Undead?" Kurel asked as he skimmed the scout's report.

"No, but trolls and minotaurs were among their ranks." A cloaked Dwarf said as he seemed to melt out of the shadows that formed along the sides of the room.

"Eddaz." The black-haired soldier said as the scout approached the table. "Good of you to join us."

"Ah, Shedim. Someone has to keep an eye on our enemies while you sit here and talk." Eddaz replied "We may not have time for that now though. The Goblins just started breaking camp."

This news caused a ruckus at the table that lasted several minutes before Kurel could regain control.

"Yelling ideas at each other won't help anyone." He said as the assembled Dwarves settled down. "Eddaz, how long do you think before the Goblins arrive?"

""Considering the size of the army and the distance they still have to travel, I'd say a day, maybe a few hours more."

"All right then." Kurel said, sighing heavily before speaking again. "Eddaz, take some men and keep an eye on that army. We don't want any surprises."

"We'll see if we can slow them down a little." The scout said with a grin as he headed out into the night.

"Shedim, what are our forces like?"

"Only about 200 soldiers are left of the original garrison though the numbers have grown some from refugees. There are also about 150 volunteers from the civilian population." Shedim replied, glancing momentarily at a paper by her side.

"I assume we'll have equipment for them all?" Kurel asked before she could continue.

"Yes. The smiths have been working hard to produce quality equipment." A rather sooty Dwarf piped up before returning to his mug.

"Thank you Mirstal." Shedim replied before continuing her report.

"We also have a number of Warriors from other fortresses. Clans Shedim, Num, Iger and Anriz have sent every fighter they can spare to aid us. That's around 500 battle-hardened Dwarves." She reported. "Clan Amud was unable to send any of it's famed Warriors to help but they did send a vast amount of iron salvaged off the Goblins."

"We'll be outnumbered then but we still have a few advantages." Kurel said after a long moment and a longer drink.

"Anriz, Num, I want you to hold the walls. Your Clans have the best marksmen and I trust you can pick off a few hundred or so before they reach the walls." Kurel ordered, glancing at the pair of Dwarves as he spoke.

"We'll try to leave a couple for the rest of you." Num said as he polished the silver decorations adorning his crossbow while Anriz simply nodded her agreement.

"Iger, I want your Clan patrolling constantly. If they manage to break in then we need to respond fast." The general continued.

"My Deputy and I will split the Clan among ourselves and cover both halves of the city." Iger replied, nodding his own agreement.

"What about Clan Shedim?" Shedim asked.

"I want your Clan spread throughout the forest. Those sneaky bastards will be nearly impossible to see from the walls if they stick to the trees." Kurel answered.

"Ok, We have a plan." The general continued as he stood from his chair. "Let's all try to get a few hours sleep before Uktang's people come knocking..."

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: February 03, 2011, 09:16:27 am »

Going into the perceptive of other Dwarven fortresses?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: February 03, 2011, 09:57:18 pm »

This sounds like we will get lots of migrants :P, but as a downside a full out persian goblin army. Because tonight we dine in Hell Flamebanner`s legendary dinning hall.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: February 04, 2011, 03:15:51 am »

Dwarves sprang into frenzied action as the alarm rang throughout Spiderthorn. Marksmen from Clans Anriz and Num took up their posts on the walls and within the towers, setting extra quivers nearby while Clan Iger's Warriors strapped on their armor as Iger divided them into patrols.

Outside the safety of the walls, Shedim and her dark-cloaked scouts and Warriors vanished into the shadows under the trees.

"Aknun, Are we ready?" Kurel asked as he appeared from the barracks and moved to stand beside the Commander of the Spiderthorn garrison.

"Everyone is in position, though the bulk of the enemy force has yet to show themselves." Aknun replied.

"Eddaz is rarely wrong. If he says they are on the march then they will be here." Kurel replied as he walked off in the direction of the gatehouse...

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: February 04, 2011, 04:07:42 am »

Moving swiftly through the trees, Shedim and her small patrol stumbled across the Goblin army's scouts. The oblivious creatures were swiftly cut down by the short blades the Dwarves carried and the bodies dragged into the bushes.

The Shedim Warriors melted back into the foliage mere moments before the army's front lines appeared. Riding at the front were several dozen scarred greenskins mounted on strange horse-like beasts that none of the Dwarves could remember seeing before, even in legends.

Behind them marched a few hundred Goblins armed with a variety of weapons. Gesturing silently to her people, Shedim gave the order to move towards the end of the enemy formation, intending to pick off the stragglers.

"Where are Totmon and Enog?" Shedim asked, the fury in her voice evident despite the quiet tone.

When no one provided an answer the Shedim Leader shook her head, knowing there was no time to waste on a search, the Goblins were already far ahead of the scouts.

As she dragged another Goblin corpse into the bushes Shedim heard the growling of hungry beasts deeper in the forest. A moment later a pained screech echoed through the trees and was abruptly silenced.

Blades drawn in the blink of an eye, the Dwarves surveyed the foliage, which was now rustling. One of the scouts screamed suddenly and the others turned in time to see the unfortunate Dwarf being dragged away.

They didn't have to wonder what had done this as a few seconds later the culprit appeared. A massive gray furred wolf, flanked by several smaller beasts and growling viciously.

Gripping her blades tightly, Shedim gave the order to attack as the wolves leapt forward...

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: February 04, 2011, 02:04:37 pm »

Awesome.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: February 05, 2011, 01:36:04 am »

Is this another fortress that is named Spiderthorn? I don't recognize any of these names.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: February 05, 2011, 02:12:25 am »

Not an actual fortress that I'm playing, no. Just something interesting to fill the emptiness while I wait for something to happen in Flamebanner.

(Plus, I rather like the idea of giving you all a look at more of this world.  :))

And the reason you don't recognize the names is because these are all new characters.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 02:14:11 am by thunderclan »

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: February 05, 2011, 02:41:50 am »

......That are created by grabbing random words from the Translation_Dwarf.txt

Yes?

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: February 05, 2011, 05:04:53 am »

Not entirely, all except 5 were random (Amud, Shedim, Iger, Anriz and Num) Though Amud is long dead which is why we haven't seen him with the others...

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: February 06, 2011, 04:04:24 am »

Eddaz and his small group of scouts were waiting at the rendezvous point when they saw the flash of metal among the trees. Drawing their blades the Dwarven scouts were preparing for battle when Shedim ran into sight, two members of her squad hot on her heels.

As his leader rushed towards him the howling of wolves split the air and the hunters came into view, loping along after their prey.

One of Shedim's remaining men vanished under a furred body, screaming in terror before being cut off. Revenge was swift though as a dagger sprouted from the wolf's forehead. Howling, the remaining creatures turned and ran, leaving Shedim and her companion to peacefully stop beside Eddaz's group, sides heaving as they gasped for breath while blood trickled from small wounds that had obviously been taken during the retreat rather then in the battle.

Sending one of his men to retrieve the fallen Dwarf's body Eddaz turned to his leader. "Is it only the two of you?" He asked.

"Yes, the others were hunted down by those beasts." Shedim replied, bowing her head in sorrow. "We never saw them coming, never suspected that animals would be our greatest concern out here."

"We've done what we can here." Eddaz said softly. "The army is nearly at the walls though, we need to make sure we're ready for the main event."

Pulling herself out of her sorrow Shedim began moving, heading for one of the hidden entrances to the fortress...

Goblin Command Tent

The Goblin general glanced up from the map he was gazing at as a tall human ducked into the tent. "Saingur, what is the news?" The general asked.

"You were right, the Dwarves had scouts in the forest but they were no match for us. They have retreated and the forest is ours." The human replied, a cruel smile on his face.

"They fell for the distraction and all it cost was the lives of a platoon." Saingur continued.

"Acceptable losses." The Goblin said decisively. "Go and prepare your troops for the battle. There are still many Dwarves to kill here."

"We will tear them to pieces." Saingur said as he ducked back outside and walked briskly away, a pair of wolves padding along a few feet behind him...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you're all enjoying this little side story as much as I am. It's rather refreshing to write something that takes place far from Flamebanner and Uktang's tower while still both affecting the story and allowing me to introduce more characters.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 106