Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 106

Author Topic: Flamebanner: The Battle of Flamebanner!  (Read 131685 times)

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
Re: Flamebanner: The Time Of Fire Has Come
« Reply #870 on: March 07, 2010, 09:30:37 pm »

I must say, that dwarf is pretty hardcore to take an entire patrol by himself unarmed and unarmored.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: March 07, 2010, 09:31:50 pm »

AND  THAT IS WHY I CLAIMED HIM.
HIS BADASSERY PENETRATES THE FOURTH WALL.
AM I USING TOO MANY CAPITAL LETTERS?
FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON FLAMEBANNER!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: March 07, 2010, 10:38:03 pm »

So did toltot finally die in this update?

I'm only asking because no one else has mentioned it.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: March 07, 2010, 11:07:08 pm »

No, Somehow she is STILL alive. Considering that several squads of Undead warriors arrived right on the Goblin's heels (with crossbows) she might finally find a death in battle.

So many Warriors are injured that the only ones that will probably show up to fight are Hawkfrost, Derek, Kanet, Argonnek and Speardwarf...Toltot will probably show but faint right away.

At least we have some back-up from the Human soldiers for the moment. Might have to see about recruiting them if things go poorly...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: March 08, 2010, 12:21:43 am »

I am amazed every day that Speardwarf has not had the same fate as all my other characters.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: March 08, 2010, 11:24:54 pm »

12th Hematite

The scouts Hawkfrost had sent out after the invasion alarm was sounded had finally returned. Having borrowed Fireheart's map of the territory the scouts gathered around the Deputy to report their findings.

Speardwarf spoke up first. "The Undead have 2 squads on the Western border. I managed to idenify the leaders as the Hammerman Smuksum Greatstalker and Axeman Thram Ceilingdwell. They're leading forces of Pikemen, Wrestlers and Lashers. The good news is that they're more or less trapped above the digsite."

Pointing to a spot on the Northern border Govos began his report. "The Northern squad is made up largely of Crossbowmen with a few Wrestlers for protection. They are being lead by the Spearman Subil Acedipped. The crossbows may give us some trouble but the height changes in that area should give us an advantage."

"I guess I'm the bearer of bad news then." Tharnas said. "The Eastern border has the 2 squads on it. The first is a force of pikes and Wrestlers led by Pikeman Adet Smithmystery."

"And the second?" Hawkfrost prompted as Tharnas fell silent.

"...The second squad is flying the banner of Bonun Confineblister. He's leading this siege." Tharnas said finally. All of them were stunned by the news. Bonun Confineblister was a feared name among Dwarves, Elves and Humans. He was notorius for his cruelty and the skill with which he wielded his massive sword.

Hawkfrost remembered the reports of messengers who had escaped Bonun's forces. Towns left in ruins, Elven retreats burned to ashes as their inhabitants tried to save their trees...Even the Dwarves had been forced to abandon several of the more remote outposts and mines.

"How bad is it?" Hawkfrost asked with a sigh. "I managed to get a headcount." Tharnas said. "5 Wrestlers, 3 Hammermen, 3 Tigers and 2 Trolls with hammers." Tigers and Trolls? They should be easy enough to kill." Govos said. "The Tigers and Trolls are as Undead as the rest of the soldiers. Bone and claw and large hammers." Tharnas replied.

"We can't allow Bonun to reach the fortress." Hawkfrost said after taking a few moments to think. "We'll focus all our strength on Bonun."

"Speardwarf! Get every Warrior that can fight to the Eastern border. We'll need every Dwarf we can get..."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another utterly awesome siege leader. Should prove an interesting battle...Since some of our Warriors are still out of action, including Wok. The good news though is that Arzez finally recovered so he will be joining the fight.

Something interesting I noticed is that we have a growing number of Heirloom items in this fort.
To avoid confusion I'm talking about Kornash's Sword, Tanak Masam's Crossbow, Bob's Mace, Sir Nil's Hammer and one of Iton's Gauntlets.

I'm thinking I might try to work that into the fabric of the story...Somehow.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 08:25:45 pm by thunderclan »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: March 08, 2010, 11:44:37 pm »

Maybe my spear will grow up to become a messiah-piercer.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: March 08, 2010, 11:47:45 pm »

I am getting a feeling that a veteran is going to die to that guy.
A very big feeling.

Phil_Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: March 09, 2010, 03:27:00 am »

ya might wanna start building defensive hallways into your base. something like this:

sss
 xxx
 xxx
 xxx
 xxx
 xxx
 xxx
 xxxxxxxxxxxx
 xxxxxxxxxxxx
 fff
 bbb
bbb
  bbb

x is hallway/dug out space, s is stairs coming in, f is fortifications ans each row of b's is a ballistae.
It's community is the natural side effect of a game being a masterpiece hiding behind the learning curve of a brick wall - trolls can't play DF long enough to find something to ridicule.
Toady One has created a masterpiece!

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: March 09, 2010, 04:16:18 pm »

I am getting a feeling that a veteran is going to die to that guy.
A very big feeling.

And you would be right. A veteran died but you have to wait until I write the report to find out who. A second Dwarf also died and Toltot somehow managed to make an awesome showing for a Dwarf with no throat...

I took a moment to count our Warriors both living and dead:

We have 16 Warriors and Apprentices living
Of the living 7 are too injured to fight (either arm or leg injuries: mostly mangles, a broken leg and a missing arm.)
12 Have died to protect the Clan.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: March 09, 2010, 09:55:17 pm »

12th Hematite

Bonun's forces were ready and waiting as the Warriors, led by Hawkfrost charged them. With a unexpected roar from something so bony one of the Tigers leapt and crashed into the Thunderclan Deputy, teeth clamping down on her arm. Hawkfrost brought her axe around to crash against the creature's side as a second Tiger started chewing on her leg.

Nearby, Fred was swinging his club against a Troll's leg, trying to bring the oversized beast down. Ducking under a swing from the Troll's massive hammer that would have taken his head clean off the Dwarven Warrior grabbed hold of the creature's leg and started climbing.

Arzez and Derek were fighting back to back against the squad led by Smithmystery which had moved down to aid Bonun's own forces. Arzez's sword cleaved through armor and bone, the Warrior thrilled to be back in battle and eager to turn some skeletons to dust.

A large number of bones already lay scattered from those that had fallen before Arzez's blade. Derek, having not had the time to see Sarek about his equipment was beating a Wrestler with his bare hands, snapping bones with every hit until he was able to reach the skeleton's skull and remove it, crushing it to dust.

Adet was furious at the weakness of his soldiers and lashed out at Derek with his pike. The Warrior braced himself for the pain that was coming but before the pike struck him it was knocked aside by a spear. Derek looked on in amazement as Toltot, blood trickling from the spot where her throat should have been impaled the Undead captain's skull on her spear.

The swinging of a Troll's hammer caught all three off guard though and the air was filled with flying Dwarf and bone for a few moments.

Sitting up, rubbing her head where it had smacked into a rock Toltot rose unstedily to her feet only to be stabbed through the stomach by a Pikeman. Forcing herself forward she came within range and sliced the sharp tip of her spear through the invader's weapon arm as a Tiger sent her sprawling to the ground once more, uncouncious from a combination of the impact and the extra blood loss so she at least wasn't awake as the Tiger started chewing happily on her limbs.

After a hard climb up the side of a moving Troll Fred perched on its shoulder and bashed his club repeatedly against its thick skull. As the tiny cracks widened, the magic that brought the creatures to life seeped out. As the weakened Troll used its hammer as a crutch Fred pulled back once more and threw all his strength into one final swing. An unearthly shriek filled the air as the metal crashed through the bone, leaving a gaping hole.

Fred was unprepared for the wild movements of the creature and losing his balance, was thrown from his perch. Unfortunatly he landed before several Pikemen who swarmed him before he could regain his breath...

Hawkfrost had managed to remove the Tigers both from her limbs and from Thunderclan territory. Seeing Bonun directing his forces nearby the Deputy weaved through the field towards him.

As the skeletal soldier turned toward her Hawkfrost could see the glimmer of intelligence in his dead eyes as he drew his massive sword from its place on his back and charged...

Ducking behind her shield Hawkfrost avoided the blade but was driven back by the strength behind it. Popping out from behind the shield Hawkfrost swung her axe at Bonun's legs. With a squeal the axehead scratched along Bonun's greaves. The massive sword came arcing through the air again and Hawkfrost just managed to roll clear before the metal blade cut deeply into the earth.

Taking advantage of Bonun's attempts to free his weapon from the ground Hawkfrost swung for his shoulder and heard a delightful crunch as the iron covering the shoulder buckled and split.

Bonun's next swing came fast and smashed into the Deputy's leg before she could react. Wincing as the armor broke and the sword bit deep into her left leg Hawkfrost struck back with her own swing which Bonun parried after removing the weapon from her leg.

Unexpectedly Bonun stepped right into Hawkfrost's next attack, falling to the ground with a huge dent in his breastplate. Gripping Flamequill's handle with both hands she raised the axe over her head for the killing blow...Only to be knocked aside by the skeleton's leg as he rose to his feet once more.

Flamequill blocked the next kick, shearing off several toes. The axe took on an odd glow as Hawkfrost was forced to give ground as she was beaten back by Bonun.

Risking a quick glance around as she ducked behind her shield Hawkfrost saw her forces being overwhelmed by the Undead's superior numbers. Arzez and Derek were sprawled nearby while a Tiger chewed on another Dwarf that she couldn't identify.

With a roar Hawkfrost smashed her shield into Bonun's face, sending him staggering back as she swung her weapon, adding another dent to the skeleton's armor. Bonun seemed to have learned her plans now and as the Deputy ducked once more behind her shield Bonun drew back his blade and as she returned to the attack Bonun swung, the blade cutting the air as Bonun stepped forward.

The fast-moving blade had already done its job before the Dwarf could react. Crying out in pain as her shield clattered to the ground, hand and all she barely managed to deflect the next swing with her axe.

The blood flowing from her arm slowed her though and sure enough several blows later Bonun got another good blow in. Hawkfrost stumbled as she backed away but managed to keep her balance. Realizing the foe Thunderclan faced Hawkfrost turned. "FALL BACK! BACK TO THE GA..." The Deputy's words were lost as the blade of Bonun Confineblister broke through her armor and cut deeply into her back. Blood pooled on the ground as Bonun withdrew his weapon from the Warrior and stalked off to find someone else to kill.

As she sank to the ground, darkness clouding her vision Hawkfrost found her mind turning to those closest to her. Mothwing would be heartbroken when she heard the news but the dying Deputy knew she wouldn't let the grief keep her from her duties as Medicinedwarf. As those thoughts faded she found herself thinking of her lost Lover for the first time in many seasons. At least she would get to see Plank again...

Govos was at Hawkfrost's side as she drew her last breath and felt the sudden breeze as her spirit passed...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, that took quite a while to write so you'll have to wait a bit for the next part.

Fred The Femur and Hawkfrost were lost in this battle though. We're going to need to name another Deputy now and I'm running out of good canidates. Most of the Warriors die before they become eligible for the honor. I've considered the remaining eligible Dwarves and know who it will be though.

Hawkfrost, feel free to claim another Dwarf, We've still got some peasants I haven't drafted yet and like 30 children and babies.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: March 09, 2010, 10:04:25 pm »

Derek, having not had the time to see Sarek about his equipment was beating a Wrestler with his bare hands, snapping bones with every hit until he was able to reach the skeleton's skull and remove it, crushing it to dust.

I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: March 09, 2010, 10:39:11 pm »

AHAHAHAHAHAA, I KNEW IT.
I KNEW Hawkfrost would be killed, and killed by that one guy too.

...Alright, can I have a new female axedwarf named Sable?
Hopefully you can even give her Flamequill.

It would be nice if she was a friend of Hawkfrost or Mothwing.
My background ideas would be that she was an admirer of Hawkfrost, and wishes to be like her and become Deputy, serve the Clan, and become a famous warrior.
Sable has a fascination with black bronze and possesses a morbid sense of humor, which she often uses in inappropriate times.

Of course, chances are that she won't live long enough for background fluff to matter, so cheeyah.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: March 09, 2010, 11:42:08 pm »

12th Hematite

Rising from his spot beside Hawkfrost's body Govos noticed Flamequill still faintly glowing in a pool of the Deputy's blood. Sling his own axe onto his back the Warrior picked up Flamequill and scanned the field in search of Bonun.

His eyes narrowed as he spotted the skeleton beating on Toltot who despite the multitude of injuries was still alive. Govos didn't notice as Flamequill's glow intensified. As the Warrior fell deeper into the trance the glow raced from the axe up his arms until finally his eyes glowed red. The only thought on his mind now was exacting revenge on the bastard who had killed his friend and Deputy.

With a roar worthy of the most legendary Warriors Govos dashed across the field, smashing aside everything in his path. Bonun turned away from the heavily bleeding Toltot and raised his blade, seemingly unconcerned about the crazed Dwarf coming at him.

Coming within range Govos anticipated and rolled under Bonun's sword as it split the air above him. Swinging the axe against the Undead's armor the iron hissed as it melted. Melting armor didn't stop the unfeeling skeleton who kept swinging his sword at the incredibly agile Warrior.

Tiny wisps of smoke began to curl up from Govos's beard as he dove away from another sword swing by going between the skeleton's legs. Rising he smashed Flamequill into Bonun's back. That was the last straw for whatever had possessed Govos as flames burst to life along the edge of Flamequill's blade.

As the axe bit into the Undead Swordsman's back the flames seared the bone, turning it black as they raced along the skeleton's armored limbs. Bonun fell to the ground, armor melted into a useless mass of iron.

The flames slowly died back into the axe as the glow dimmed...As the trance left him Govos became aware of a burning sensation and with a scream dropped Flamequill and blew on his burned hand.

As Govos approached Arzez who had regained counciousness and was pulling pikes out of Fred's body Tharnas noticed a movement on the field. lowering his spear he charged, tearing the charred skull from the neck of Bonun Confineblister as the Swordsman tried to rise to his feet. After smashing his shield into Bonun a few times to be sure he was dead this time Tharnas joined the others by Hawkfrost's corpse...
Bonun Confineblister: DEAD!
I think Toltot might finally die...Because if she survives this then she is without a doubt the toughest Dwarf EVER. Almost every part of her is mangled. She managed to score 10 kills though.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 10, 2010, 12:32:03 am »

Just a heads-up that I'm taking a break as I've recieved a new prophecy finally: After the sharp-eyed jay and the roaring lion, peace will come on dove's gentle wing.

I'll still be playing the game I just won't be writing new updates until I finish the book.

Feel free to request more Dwarves if you want. We've got PLENTY of Dwarves left to be claimed.  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 106