Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 106

Author Topic: Flamebanner: The Battle of Flamebanner!  (Read 131167 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Flamebanner: The Battle of Flamebanner!
« Reply #1515 on: December 01, 2011, 08:09:42 pm »

Oh shit, yeah I remember that. That was a thing that actually happened.

I dunno who though. 's been so long.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: December 01, 2011, 09:48:20 pm »

You're fantastic, Thunderclan.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: December 02, 2011, 03:44:31 am »

Working on squads and weapons at the moment. Have to make sure I know who is wielding what and who they fight alongside. Got one or two little surprises for the Dwarf side that could be good too. :P

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: December 02, 2011, 01:38:40 pm »

Currently at 7 squads, going to have at least 8 once I figure out where Argonnek will be...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:42:50 pm by thunderclan »

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: December 03, 2011, 01:05:34 am »

Ok so my numbers are WAY off. Combined with our allies we currently have 14! defending Flamebanner. 3 of them don't even have squad captains yet. So far Derek, Kanet, Argonnek and Sable are each leading their own squad and I've given each squad it's own name more so I can keep track of them then anything else.

As an example Derek will be leading the Decapitators which will be made up of several other soldiers who follow Derek's style though minus the double sword, I thought Derek should have something to set him apart equipment wise and that something is his dual swords which ensures the maximum amount of beheading :)

I may or may not decide to create a couple new artifacts for the finale as well. With the numbers involved having just Flamequill and Chasmshield (the only two I can actually remember) seems like way too little in the awesome gear department. I don't think another 2-3 interesting pieces would be overkill...

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: December 03, 2011, 10:46:56 pm »

Darth Vader, Hammerdwarf, G, Eddy and Zaneg Sodelberul have officially been added to the squads. Barbarossa, I think you might enjoy the spot I chose for Zaneg. He has some interesting weapons...

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: December 05, 2011, 03:50:38 pm »

As the Warriors spread the King's orders the Dwarves rushed into action. Engineers swarmed over the various siege emplacements, checking the deadly machines and replacing faulty pieces with new ones and doing last minute adjustments while haulers brought stacks of ballista bolts and huge rocks to the stockpiles beside each machine.

In the Great Forgeworks the Metalworkers labored for hours building new weapons and sharpening the old. During this time of increased activity it was only natural that some of the smiths would be possessed and guided in the creation of powerful new weapons. These were handed over to Kanet for distribution as he saw fit.

Pushing open the doors of the Warriors dining hall Kanet found the squad captains already deep in conversation at their table. The soldiers had retreated to the Barracks to give their leaders the privacy to discuss the coming battle.

"The smiths have done their work well and our troops are better equipped then ever before." Kanet told his friends as he poured sunshine into a tankard and took his seat. "Are our Warriors ready?" He asked after taking a long drink of the rare beverage.

"Flame Squad is eager to fight." Sable reported without looking up from her axe, which flicked briefly as she sharpened the blades. "G and the others have been practicing almost nonstop."

"My pets are ready to taste Goblin blood." Unesh growled as several of his wolves looked up at their master's voice. "The other Beastmasters will be ready as well."

"My Decapitators are always ready." Derek said "A number of our enemies will find themselves missing their heads before long."

"Thirrin?" Kanet asked as the young Dwarf stroked the fur of the massive white tiger lounging beside her chair.

"We'll be ready." She assured her Leader. "Uktang will be in for a nasty surprise." She added with a cold smile.

Continued conversation was halted as the doors opened again and a Dwarf wearing blood red robes entered the room. "Apoligies for my lateness. The King required our presence." He said as he sank into a chair beside Argonnek.

"Othmar no disrespect but this meeting is for Warriors, not priests." Sable said, replacing her sharpened axe in it's sheath.

"There is no difference between the two where Armok is concerned." Othmar said, laying a mace that was the same color as his robes on the table. "The Priests of Armok are trained and ready to fight."

"We will not turn down extra hands." Kanet decided. "We will be outnumbered enough as it is."

Nodding his head in thanks Othmar settled back in his chair as the conversation returned to battle plans...

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: December 05, 2011, 04:38:47 pm »

Moving quietly along the corrider that housed the quarters of Flamebanner's great Warriors and hidden by both the shadows and the dark cloak he wore a figure paused outside the door that led to Kanet and Argonnek's quarters.

Knowing that the murders he would carry out tonight would rob the fortress of most of it's leadership and allow Uktang to tear the remaining Dwarves to pieces before rewarding his servants drove the assassin onward.

Inside the room he paused once more, scanning the room to be sure that neither of his targets had left. He sighed in relief as he spotted the pair of them sleeping deeply across the room.

Crossing the room was a time-consuming thing as there were several traps strewn about to catch the unwary. Fortunatly with the aid of one of his fellows he had learned the location of all of them and was able to avoid any trouble as he crossed to the bed.

Drawing the goblin made dagger his contact had given him the murderer stepped forward, ready to plunge the blade into the body of Thunderclan's Leader when he heard a click where no click should have been.

Eyes darting wildly around the room as he followed the sounds of gears whirring along the floor, up one wall and across the ceiling the figure prepared to dodge whatever trap he had accidently activated.

He was unprepared for the sight of a piece of the ceiling dropping down to reveal a crossbow with a bolt already loaded and a chain of bolts vanishing back into the hole. He managed a single step backwards before the weapon opened fire, shooting bolts with incredible accuracy into his legs and pinning his cloak to the floor as he gave an unstoppable scream of pain.

Barely a minute had passed before the weapon ceased fire and vanished back into the ceiling as several torches burst into life and he found himself staring out of his shadowy cloak at the Dwarves he was supposed to kill. Kanet and Argonnek were pointing loaded crossbows at his head as they stepped closer.

"I had so hoped the spies had been killed off." Kanet said sadly. "I suppose it was too much to hope for."

"You knew their were spies in the fort?" The assassin asked, shocked.

"Of course we knew. Ever since Mothwing told us that Firetower had been poisoned before his death." Argonnek said.

"And now let's see who our friend is." Kanet said, drawing his sword and using the tip to push the figure's hood back and revealing the face of Wheatly.

"So you don't die tonight. You'll still die when my master arrives and his army crushes you." The Marksdwarf sneered.

"That may be but at least we'll go into battle knowing there won't be anyone trying to stab us in the back you traitor." Argonnek hissed, using all her willpower to stop herself from planting a bolt in Wheatly's face.

"Indeed my dear, now I think it's time for Wheatly to have a long chat with our friend with the big hammer." Kanet said, lifting the injured Dwarf to his feet and stripping him of weapons before marching him out the door at crossbow point...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And thus the traitors make themselves known...and fail to do anything more to harm the fortress. Also the introduction of the automated crossbow turret.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: December 05, 2011, 05:47:10 pm »

Awesome.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: December 05, 2011, 10:51:14 pm »

I finally finished sorting out the armies for Flamebanner and Uktang. Provided I continue to have good inspiration I'll hopefully begin the battle itself by the end of the week :D

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: December 05, 2011, 11:05:40 pm »

"The traitor didn't hold out long." Argonnek said as she entered the Barracks. "After the Hammerer finished interrogating him Wheatly gave up the names of all his fellow traitors, including a member of the Engineering Guild and one of the Medicine Dwarves."

"Good, make sure they are all rounded up and placed under guard." Kanet ordered...

"Dwarves of Flamebanner!" Kanet said, raising his voice so all could hear him. "Our enemies are mere days from our borders and we all fear the coming battle against the Demon and his allies. But there were those among us who were prepared to murder loyal Dwarves in order to ensure the doom of our people!

Raising a hand to quiet the shouts of shock and outrage that rose from the crowd Kanet paused for a moment before continuing. "These traitors have been unmasked and apprehended and on the orders of King Imbit have been executed for their crimes. Armok will be their judge."

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: December 06, 2011, 02:03:18 pm »

Mid Spring Year 40

As the sound of the alarm bells ringing echoed throughout the fortress the Warriors strapped on armor, slid weapons into sheathes and slung shields onto backs before rushing to their positions on the walls. From their they could see the enemy scouts appear followed by the full might of Uktang's army.

Goblin footsoldiers and cavalry led the way, marching in a wide band with the skeletal army of the wizards behind them, similarily equipped but with their cavalry mounted on steeds as bony as they were. The smaller members of the Kobold Army were off to one side and a massive pack of wolves on the other.

Behind the orderly lines came the horde that was the Vlaugh's Servants. Thousands of the hooded creatures moved among Trolls, Giant, Minotaurs and more while the skies darkened, light fractured by the beating wings of tens of thousands of bats and stingtails. The larger bats that were really Vampires were hard to pinpoint among so many creatures but Kanet was sure they were there.

At last, after what seemed like an eternity the Demon Lord himself came into view and the sight left many of the watchers pale with fear. The Demon himself carried a massive sword but behind him came more horrors. Elemental spirits of fire and earth floated alongside Imps and all manner of Demons. Further back came a small army of Dwarves, Elves and Humans...the results of years and years of Goblins snatching children.

Unexpectedly the Demon did not order his troops to attack right away, instead staying just outside the range of Dwarven weapons and having his people set up camp. Obviously he was taking no chances and was settling in for a siege on the last Dwarven fortress in the world...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's begun, Uktang has crossed our border with his army. Soon I'll begin battle-writing, still working on the timing of certain things such as the big thing and a little thing I remembered Derek requesting...

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: December 13, 2011, 11:09:45 pm »

"FIRE!" The engineer shouted to his companions as several small groups of Servants rushed the Southern Wall. As one the teams fired their catapults, sending massive boulders arcing through the air to crush the hooded figures and leave great dents in the ground. The small attacks had been coming all morning as the enemy probed the defences.

Thanks to the adjustments and modifications made to the siege engines, Uktang had been given a rude surprise as boulders flung at the greatest possible angle crashed down along the edges of his camp, reducing several tents to rubble and sending the Kobolds camped there into a panic that had been quickly quelled by Undead swords.

Kanet knew the probes would not last forever though. Soon enough the enemy would unleash the full might of his host against the Dwarves and the real battle would begin...

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: December 14, 2011, 05:19:55 pm »

General Uzet stalked away to the command tent, disgusted with the results of the army's probing attacks. As he entered the Goblin saw the other leaders already discussing the situation.

"This waiting is pointless." Silverthorne was saying as Uzet took a seat. "We could remove that shoddy little den in an afternoon and make servants of these proud dolts."

"Yes, my people are hungry for blood and battle." Saingur added in a low voice.

"What is there to fear here?" Gorcha asked in a mocking tone. "The Dwarves greatest armies could not do more then slow us down before we trampled them into the earth. Now we sit staring at the walls of their final bastion and do nothi..."

"Do you imply that I have reason to fear these dwarves or their god?" Uktang asked as the Kobold writed in the Demon's grip. "We wait because I order it. We wait because Kaloh's greatest wizards are preparing a surprise for the Dwarves..."

He paused as the wizard appeared at the flap of the tent. He nodded once at the Demon before vanishing to the side.

"Ah, they are ready. Witness the one who will bring death to the Dwarves." Uktang said as Kaloh reappeared and held the flap open. Armor reflecting the torchlight and twin swords sheathed at his sides the Dwarf entered and knealt before the Demon.

"Derek "Hellbringer" at your service my lord..."

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: December 14, 2011, 10:33:06 pm »

Bah. Only wussies would resort to magical tricks. I don't fear them.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 106