Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moving Furniture  (Read 8924 times)

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Moving Furniture
« on: December 02, 2008, 07:01:20 pm »

Hello everyone, I'm pretty new to DF (only been playing about a week), but I've managed to survive my first winter on my second fort.  However, having followed the "Your First Fortress" tutorial, the next wave of immigrants is going to overflow the space I have in my barracks.  Unfortunately, I forgot about the immigrants early on and built around the edges of the room, so expanding it would be difficult, if possible.  This being the case, and Spring almost half over, I figured I'd dig out some private rooms.  I found a spot with enough room to dig into, and dug out a two-wide tunnel with some 1x3 rooms strewn along it to stick beds, doors and maybe chests in.  However, building a second set of beds seems like an awful waste when I could otherwise be using the now-cleared-out space from my old barracks for something helpful, on top of the wasting of wood, which I'm having to travel farther and farther from my fort to acquire.

So my question to you is, is there any way for me to move my existing beds into the new rooms, instead of making new ones, and maybe just tearing down the old ones?
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Furniture
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 07:21:36 pm »

'q' over the old beds and hit 'x'. This'll queue the item for deconstruction and transport back to an appropriate stockpile.

I've had instances where the newly deconstructed furniture doesn't register immediately for placement, however. Not sure the exact conditions required for it to be built again, but I'm guessing that it has to be moved to the stockpile first...(Never paid much attention to the details as it's something I so rarely do).

Dhargk

• Bay Watcher
  • Free hugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 07:38:43 pm »

'q' over the old beds and hit 'x'. This'll queue the item for deconstruction and transport back to an appropriate stockpile.

I've had instances where the newly deconstructed furniture doesn't register immediately for placement, however. Not sure the exact conditions required for it to be built again, but I'm guessing that it has to be moved to the stockpile first...(Never paid much attention to the details as it's something I so rarely do).

Items that are used in an open job don't show up to be used for other things. Chances are a dwarf had already decided to take it to a stockpile.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 07:48:05 pm »

Thank you very much!  I wasn't sure if deconstructing it just destroyed it, gave me back the resources, or gave me back the bed.

Thanks again!

Tim
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 08:00:37 pm »

If you don't have any stockpiles for furniture (or just disable beds in all furniture stockpiles) then the beds will be available for immediate placement. You won't be wasting dwarf labour on double-handling the beds either.

If an item is queued to be moved to a stockpile and you want to use it now, just pause, forbid, unforbid and then place the bed. Then unpause. Doing this for a lot of items, of course, requires effort and so isn't recommended.

EDIT: Having excess beds in a barracks is a good idea though. Immigrants who don't have a room assigned to them will sleep in the barracks, and them sleeping on beds is better for their happiness than them sleeping on the floor.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 08:02:26 pm by Skanky »
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 05:43:17 am »

Hint: "t" allows you to view the quality of stuff you've built.

And when you're building stuff, e.g. beds, press b (build) - b (bed) - x (select individual bed) - then you'll be able to choose between the lower and higher quality items.