Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What in the metal/stone raws determines avaliability  (Read 1086 times)

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What in the metal/stone raws determines avaliability
« on: December 02, 2008, 06:29:09 am »

For instance, Steel ore is never ever ever found in the ground, whilst tin ore is found far more often than much else, and there's nothing I can see in the raws that makes the two inherently different. Is it because Steel is classified as a reaction in another raw file?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What in the metal/stone raws determines avaliability
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 08:23:28 am »

Just look at the raws. matgloss_stone_mineral to be specific. It says right there.

It's the [ENVIRONMENT] tags.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 12:33:29 pm »

For instance, Steel ore is never ever ever found in the ground, whilst tin ore is found far more often than much else, and there's nothing I can see in the raws that makes the two inherently different. Is it because Steel is classified as a reaction in another raw file?
Steel ore?
MADNESS!

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 12:41:16 pm »

What Woose is trying to say is: "Steel can't be found in nature, it's man-made."
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 01:18:26 pm »

Right, but the question was 'Where is that in the raws'

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 01:23:34 pm »

(...) whilst tin ore is found far more often than much else (..)

Huh?
I find plenty of iron and copper on every map I play, but have never seen even a single vein of tin ore!
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 02:41:12 pm »

I think it needs to be present in the matgloss_stone_mineral.txt file to be found in the ground.
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

Bobokapi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 03:32:05 pm »

availability of the ores is determined by the stone layer including [ENVIRONMENT] and [ENVIRONMENT_SPEC] tags
also, stones can be layers, large clusters, veins, or small clusters to determine the quantity

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 04:04:49 pm »

Ore is completely different from and distinct from metal, ores are just certain minerals that have been given an [ORE] tag which specifies a metal or metals which will result from smelting the mineral which the [ORE] tag automatically makes possible.  Each has its own separate file, in addition Reactions can be performed at the smelter which can produce *almost* anything and this is ware steel is created.  Their is no ore of steel but it could be easily created.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 06:32:23 pm »

(...) whilst tin ore is found far more often than much else (..)

Huh?
I find plenty of iron and copper on every map I play, but have never seen even a single vein of tin ore!

I found tin ore (cassiterite) actually once. And I had to deliberately select a spot with a granite layer and have miners poking around pointlessly to find it.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 07:02:20 pm »

I think that's what it is.  Some people won't embark without sand or magma or whatever else, and that tends to limit their exposure to other rock types

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 07:35:10 pm »

Whether a map has sand doesn't really seem to effect the rock types, but to get on topic it's also got something to do with Granite usually occuring quite deep down.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 10:34:45 pm »

I'm still interested in availability. I'm going to mess with some smaller forts for fps sake and I'm thinking a bump to the frequency of ore would be helpful. I know there's a frequency spot at the end of the environmental_spec line in matgloss_stone_mineral.txt
[ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:VEIN:100]
But they're all 100. 100 out of what? Is it 100% chance within a certain area? (The wiki describes veins as being 0-2 veins+) (Someone with experience with reveal.exe might know better)
Would setting it to 200 double the frequency to help my fps friendly mini-fort?
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 03:01:28 pm »

[ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:VEIN:100]
But they're all 100. 100 out of what? Is it 100% chance within a certain area? (The wiki describes veins as being 0-2 veins+) (Someone with experience with reveal.exe might know better)
Would setting it to 200 double the frequency to help my fps friendly mini-fort?
I'm pretty sure it's percentage. I tried doubling the number to check whether the new gem I added was working right, and it didn't turn up once until I changed it back.

I wonder if doubling the line itself (or even the whole entry) would cause the game to place the veins twice?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.