Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I read somewhere that its possible to bring a dwarf back to life via hacking.  (Read 1410 times)

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is it true?  I can't find an article about it on the wiki or the forums.
Cage traps are my magma.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(Wrong forum but I'll answer anyway)

Yep, http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Dwarf_Companion

It can be a real pain in the ass to get working, needs a trio of third party programs, but very useful once it does decide to come to life.
I'm Mr. Cellophane

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile

Note: I once tried to revive a dwarf, but he kept bleeding to death. Giving everyone bad thoughts. Use at your own risk.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile

It's possible, and takes a lot of work.  Be patient.

As far as I know, it only works with Dwarf Companion.  Find the dead dwarf, set all his flags to those like a live one, and change his race to a bronze colossus, and just before you unpause heal and rest him.  That part about the colossus part is bold because it's the very important part.  Dwarves, being jerks, will try to bleed out on you just to make you and everyone that loved them suffer, and if you have three of the same dwarf dead before his body all rots away the game crashes HARD

Just wait like 10 minutes after you bronzed him, and turn him back.  Unless he was disemboweled, it should be fine.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot

You best not head up there, boy, the ground is sour.  :D
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile

No, no. You can bring them back to life. For 1 frame anyway.

It's fun to use it to duplicate corpses though.

Never tried to Bronze method. I'll have to give it a shot.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just wait like 10 minutes after you bronzed him, and turn him back.  Unless he was disemboweled, it should be fine.

From my experience 10 seconds is enough.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile

Consider Dwarf Companion the everyday bay12 forumer's version of necromancy.

Turnip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A man tends to what he can grow.
Stay away from that cemetary, louis. It isn't a good idea.

nnuuuu
do not revive anything
have you read pet semetary?
And (because of various programming quirks) dwarves are kinda stupid. Granted, so are the other races. But still.
And yet these stupid dwarves are going to eventually make a nuclear weapon out of cheese and basalt.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot

Sometimes dead is better. The barrier was not meant to be crossed.

have you read pet semetary?
Well, obviously I have, anyway. :)

Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile

You can bring them back to life permanently, you have to bring em to life then autoheal and keep autohealing alot they will eventually live without dieing, trust me ive done it.
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes you definitely can bring them back to life permamently, i have done it too. But setting them to alive, the autohealing is not enough. If they died by bleeding to death, there is some variable being set which causes them to bleed to death again in the next tick efter reviving, even if fully healed. To avoid this you need to temporarily turn them into something that can't bleed, like Bronze Colossus. You can safely turn them back into dwarves after about 10 seconds. And you dont need to autoheal them as long as they don't have any wounds. Trust me i've done it, and tried different combinations to do it.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.