Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tileset/Graphics problem  (Read 1183 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tileset/Graphics problem
« on: December 01, 2008, 10:59:39 pm »

Is this the right place for this? Sorry if not.

I've been trying to cobble together a custom tileset and graphics set for personal use. I've never really messed with this before so it's been time consuming but interesting.

Anyway, here's my problem:

After putting everything into place and wrestling with text files, most things seem to be working, except...Capital E's aren't showing up in the text in the game. As in, "Escape" and "Enter" become "  scape" and "  nter". No other letter seems to be affected as far as I've seen, only E.

I don't even know where to begin looking to fix this. The E is right where it's supposed to be in the tileset bmp. Is it even possible for it to be looking in the wrong place?

It's probably something embarassingly simple that I've overlooked, but bear with me, I'm new at this.  :-\

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Tileset/Graphics problem
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 12:59:54 am »

Start by posting the tileset bitmap.  Or a PNG conversion of it.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 01:36:48 am »

Okay, sorry.

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/7419/flameycustomdh6.png

It's just a combination of a few existing sets with some minor edits. I'm still tweaking it...
I did go through and reassign the vermin and trees to use their respective replacement tiles in the text raws. Could that have any effect on it?

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 12:45:18 pm »

The problem is probably in the configuration of your tileset, post them text files.
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 01:08:47 pm »

Yeah, I just tested the tileset, and it's working fine for me.  Nice tileset by the way.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 02:50:05 pm »

Yeah, I just tested the tileset, and it's working fine for me.  Nice tileset by the way.
Thanks.  ;D

The problem is probably in the configuration of your tileset, post them text files.
They're just the creature and matgloss raws with the [Tile:#] values changed...there's 14 of them.

I've put them in a zip, but I don't know anywhere to upload zip files...

Also, upon further experimentation...
When first starting up the game, the main title screen was fine. I then started an adventure mode and got this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After which the main title screen was missing its E's again.  ???

Also, I have graphics turned on and graphics sets activated for all the races and most animals. I don't think that should have any effect on text, though, should it?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 03:05:27 pm »

Hmm.  Maybe try getting a fresh DF install and seeing if the same problems crop up there?  If not, you can incrementally retrace the creature tile changes, etc., although I don't know how those could mess up text.  The graphics set definitely shouldn't be affecting anything either.

The best place to upload text is pastebin, but it seems to be down right now.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 03:09:04 pm by Footkerchief »

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 04:11:21 pm »

I'm also getting the same thing, I'm modded the my graphics up the ying-yang but I think it started after I incorporated some of Mike Mayday character sets (very similar to the one posted here).  Most likely I made some error in doing so but it's odd that you have  XACTLY TH  SAME L TT R missing as I do.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 06:32:12 pm »

I did a fresh install and a lot of testing on recreating this.

This is what I found:

1. The problem appears to be linked to the graphics. It doesn't begin until I put the images and text files in the "graphics" folder.

2. The E's disappearing appears to be triggered by doing stuff in the game. When I tested, the E's would disappear consistantly the second time I tried to start a game mode.
So: If you open the game and go to Legends, the E's are fine. If you then quit Legends and go to Adventurer mode, the E's are gone. Works the other way too.

3. Deleting the entire contents of the Graphics folder fixes the problem.

So, apparently there is some way the graphics are affecting the text?  ???
I just used the graphics-text-files that are posted on the wiki along with the graphics sets, so is it possible there's an error in one of them that could do this?

I'm using a combination of Sphr's (races, some animals) and Bane18's (rest of the animals).