Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Tombquills: A Grand Experiment in Equality (Community)  (Read 5311 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Tombquills: A Grand Experiment in Equality (Community)
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2008, 06:49:07 pm »

Next time we plan on steeling from the caravans, we should start a fire by pumping magma onto the grass.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2008, 07:14:41 pm »

Next time we plan on steeling from the caravans, we should start a fire by pumping magma onto the grass.
I thought that didn't work as the magma smothered the flames prevented it from catching fire somehow? What should work is magma on a booze stockpile. Or maybe a captured magma creature.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 07:21:30 pm by Martian »

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2008, 07:55:48 pm »

19th Granite: Legolord trades our crafts, as well as the things we've scavenged off of the dead tiger men thieves, for all the metal bars, some more picks, and most of the metal cages they have, to be melted down into more metal bars. 

Amusingly, when presented with our offer, the wizards asked for some of their old items back in addition.  Trivial items, really.  I just note this down to point out how oddly these wizards act.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A contingent of the commune thinks we should seize the adamantine items like we seized the anvils, making the same arguments as before -- these items are created by the workers and should be used by the workers, the ends justify the means.  Still, though the adamantine items are tempting, they are not as necessary for our fort's self sufficiency.  We let them go.

Interestingly enough, the humans seem content to give us many items made of iron.  Strange, but we take them.

21st Granite: A New Plan has been concocted, and approved by the commune.  The death house that we've constructed works as efficiently as any member of the proletariat, but the mass murder of dwarves, even ones who have desired to steal our birthright from us, does strike bad feelings.

Instead, we begin carving out a gulag that we can place dwarves into, where they can be given food and water without being given means of escape.  In keeping with our noble aims, we will try an experiment of putting dwarves in here to work off their penance, instead of killing them outright.

18th Slate: The merchants leave.   The Human Guild representative has been following Inaluct around for a month, patiently waiting for a chance to speak with him.  Doesn't he know that the workers never rest?

3rd Felsite: More dwarves have arrived from the Mountainhome.  Our New Plan remains woefully uncompleted.  They were sent to aid the other dwarves from last year who arrived to gain control over our fortress.  We are stalling them currently, but this state of affairs will not last.  Already, they grow suspicious.

4th Felsite: During the night, three of the newcomer dwarves snuck away from their compatriots, who were slumbering from their drink, and revealed that they were sympathizers with us!  Their names are Karl Marx, Ivanna, and Mondark, and we had much to talk about.  Karl Marx, in particular, seems to be quite learned on the subject, and talked at length about the philosophical underpinnings.  Legolord doesn't seem to like her much.

With the help of the three newcomers, we overpower the dwarves, and deliver them into the death house.  Their screams for help are quickly silenced as Mondark steps up to prove her loyalty and acts as executioner.

Only after the act is done does Karl Marx tell me that Ivanna's husband was one of those she just watched die.

5th Felsite: Despite losing her husband, Ivanna describes herself as "quite content".

17th Hematite: Our New Project is a success!  For our next group of dwarves who attempt to wrest control of Tombquills away from us, we will have this more humane option.

(OOC:

1) This should bring us up to Shoruke in terms of the waiting list.

2) The New Plan is both an excuse to have a gulag, and also to keep dwarves immigrating in, instead of no one "venturing near your accursed death-trap".

3) Speaking of accursed death traps, I may start seizing all caravans of everything in an effort to get some sieges. 

4) When you remove a broker, you remove the ability to see prices when you trade, even if the person trading is a Legendary Appraiser.  Which is fine, but feeds into #3 as another reason to do this thing.

5) Suggestions for megaprojects or things to do welcome!)
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2008, 09:07:23 pm »

Huzzah!  I've arrived!  And I got to kill off most of my traveling companions too!

Megaprojects?  hmmm....  I've often wondered if it'd be possible to use a complicated magma/water system to create instant obsidian walls around the fortress gates, not sure how this would be done, but it might be cool.
Maybe drop magma onto a full moat of water, to make an obsidian base, then drop 7/7 of water and magma onto that in quick succession.
Fefeshnelmargalip

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2008, 09:19:27 pm »

Yes, you're a cold one.  I'm not sure who is colder, you, Ms. "I just travelled all this way with these people, oh, you want them to drown?  I can help with that," or Mrs. "My husband died, but, you know what?  That's a nifty bed." =P

I was just reading the water cannon thread in DF Questions, and since someone offered cookies to anyone who could make a magma cannon...and I have magma...and I like cookies...

Besides, it'd make a great noble execution device.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Kanute

• Bay Watcher
  • Gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2008, 09:31:22 pm »

I guess this really doesn't count as a mega-project, but what with the until recently complete lack of picks, it at least comes close to it:
Moving domestic operations underground in a manner that truly captures the majesty of dwarven equality. Massive barracks where the whole fortress sleeps and an equally grand communal kitchen above. Emphasis on symmetry, for obvious reasons.

Also, could you dwarf me whenever possible?
Name: Kilbom
Male would be preferable, but not necessary.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2008, 09:40:56 pm »

As a demi-mega-project, we should have an obsidian farm: a four-sided room, where we pump magma (which doesn't seem to be able to melt walls) and then water into it, then channel it out and retrieve obsidian. As long as the magma is self-replenishing, we can do this ad nauseum and outfit every trading partner we have in the world with obsidian blades.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2008, 09:52:57 pm »

A status update of the dwarves.  Doesn't list novice or dabbling skills, because otherwise the list would be forever...

Flint
8 kills (including a fire man)
Extremely Agile
Grower, Proficient Wood Cutter, Competent Miner

Inaluct
5 kills
Strong, Extremely Agile, Very Tough
Grower, Wrestler, Professional Appraiser, Competent Miner

Ivanna
0 kills
No stats
No skills (Ivanna is the only one still classed as a Peasant; has no Novice skills)

Karl Marx
0 kills
No stats
No skills (Novice Miner, though)

Legolord
6 kills
Extremely Strong, Extremely Agile, Extremely Tough
Skilled Grower, Legendary Appraiser (seized the wizard's caravan), Miner

Magua
2 kills
Very Agile, Extremely Tough
Competent Grower, Adept Miner

Martian
3 kills
Extremely Tough
Grower, Miner

Mondark
0 kills (not counting people she drowned, of course)
No stats
No skills (Novice Grower, though)

Mook
16 kills
Very Strong, Very Agile, Tough
Competent Grower, Proficient Wood Cutter, Adept Miner

Ratepe
2 kills
Agile
Competent Grower, Wood Cutter

So as you can see, nearly all the dwarves take part in the farming activities.  Miner is more widespread than Wood Cutter because once we got picks, we had enough picks for everyone, but axes are still in somewhat short supply.  Everyone is dabbling in just about everything.  And despite fishing for ~18 months, no one is above Novice Fisherdwarf.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2008, 09:17:27 pm »

Awesome, I'm the third best killing machine. 

For a semi-megaproject, I suggest a special magma fountain trap triggered by pressure plates.  Basically, you build a pump that pumps magma from the pipe int a shaft that goes all the way to the bottom z-level.  Dig a tunnel leading just below the desired exit for the fountain.  The exit must be the same z-level as the pump.  Upward shaft with a hatch at the top.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2008, 10:32:22 pm »

Out of character update:

1) During one season, Tombquills had no less than four caravans arrive at the same time.  They were locked in together.  The announcements screen some time later was rather amusing:

2) Another Trade Depot was constructed, but there seems to be a bug.  Merchants will appear, their wagons will go to the Trade Depot, but their pack animals stay on the edge of the map.  After a short amount of time, their wagons and pack animals will leave (with no message; it's really short, like a week or two, instead of the normal two months or so)...leaving behind all of their goods at the Trade Depot.  I like to think they're offering them as tribute.

3) In order to assist megaconstruction, a channel is being dug around the map.  However, since everyone has every labor turned on, what this means in practice is that someone will wander *all the way* across the map, channel out one square, then wander *all the way* back to do something else.  6 weeks of digging has removed ~20 squares.

4) No bauxite or adamantine provides difficulties in playing with magma.  Not sure if LL has any other magma-resistant stone.

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2008, 11:32:51 pm »

I always like watching merchants go insane when locked inside of trade depots, especially when their pack animals end up slaughtering everything.

The two depot thing is a bug.  For some reason the wagons and the pack animals can't agree on which depot to go to, so they never set up for trade  Building just one depot should solve that problem.  We'll just end up with overcrowded depots.

I guess setting a few dwarves to only mine is the only real way to speed the channeling process.  Since dwarves like to work from left to right it does make it kind of a hassle to have them running back and forth constantly.

Since all or most of the lava creatures are dead we shouldn't even need grates and such.  Just dig out a big room and drain some magma into it using channels.  I can't remember if we still have an imp and a fire man left, but if so it might be good to send those non-peasant dwarves that arrive with migrant waves in a glorious charge to redeem themselves.  I think steel is also lava-proof, so if we can get some of that we can make grates with it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2008, 03:20:24 am »

No one has claimed the daughter, what a shame!  Name her "Rainbow" for me, willya?  That's assuming that a flower child has a place in your commune.  If your going the more Marxist route you could call her "Red".
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2008, 06:52:02 am »

Journal of Flint: Entry 2

Ah the satisfation I recieved when I saw the faces of those wizards as we took their goods, they cowered in fear giving them to us as they had no protection for themselves. The days in this great fortress all seem to run together now I quite often lose track of time. I have decided to see Mook as a rival of sorts as we look to be the warriors of the fort right now.

However while I am faster and our woodcutting abilities are about even Mook has me at everthing else, so I will really need to lift my game.

My remaining comrades seem to be getting on fine nowdays although Magua and Legolord are really begining to get on my nerves with their lovey dovey crap.

So remember any who read this journal fight off the shackles of opression and destroy those who would bind the world to their governments. FREEDOM AND DEATH TO ALL WHO OPPOSE IT!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2008, 08:02:58 pm »

You don't need a grate to keep magma critters out of a magma channel.  Just use a fortification.  It can't be linked to a lever, but you probably wouldn't be sending many dwarves down there anyway.

Log of LegoLord:
"This place is full of opportunity!  There is no leader to overthrow to get power, all I have to do is seize the right moment!  If this turns into another monarchy, my money (if I had any) is on Magua for the new leader.  I am acting accordingly.  No one expects anything, I think . . .
We keep abusing the caravans.  This may cause problems, but then, if we captured a wizard and it turns out he, <ahem>, 'likes' this place, it may be worth it."
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 08:10:34 pm by LegoLord »
Just so I remember

Cles

• Bay Watcher
  • I need some Cave Spider silk parachutes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2008, 12:54:27 pm »

Proceed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5