Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Tombquills: A Grand Experiment in Equality (Community)  (Read 5309 times)

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tombquills: A Grand Experiment in Equality (Community)
« on: December 01, 2008, 07:00:54 pm »

I drew up the muskoxes; the wagon clattered to a stop behind me easily.  "You're sure this is the place?" I called back to the wagon.

From inside the wagon, our navigator's head popped up.  He looked around the flat expanse of landscape, pocked only by the shimmering heat haze over the magma pit, and nodded.  "Yeah, this is the spot the King gave us."  Heh.  He may not be the sharpest obsidian sword in the weapon rack, but he did have a certain knack for geography.  I wasn't sure that I could pick one spot on this endlessly flat plain out from another, but I wasn't going to argue the point. 

Instead, I shoved my hands on my hips and glanced around.  Weren't much to look at, I told myself.  No mountain in sight.  Not even a small hill.  But there were pools and a river to drink from, and seeds to be gathered.  If the humans could do it, then by Armok, so could my band of dwarves. 

Not "my" band of dwarves, I corrected myself.  So could "we".  That was the whole point after all.  A land were all the dwarves would be equal.  No snotty jewelers here, looking down on the peasants!  And what would those jewelers be, even, if they didn't have the peasants hauling all their gems and pigtail trousers and whatnot around for them?  No one, that's what!  Who hauls the stones?  The peasants!  Who hauls the wood?  The peasants!

I stopped myself from chanting the war cries out loud.  The revolt had been put down bloodily, but in the aftermath, some of the peasants had been given exile instead of death, with the chance to prove themselves worthy and rejoin the civilization.  Oh, that's what we'll do all right...show them how glorious the future could be if they could just throw off the shackles of tradition...

I slapped the wagon and yelled, "Alright!  Let's show them what we're made off, eh?  We need stuff to eat, that's for sure, so, those who feel like gathering seeds or fishing should get on to it!  Remember, one for all, and all for one!"

Cheerily whistling the war songs, the dwarves jumped out of the wagon and got to work, each according to their own wishes, with no one saying they could only do this job or the other.  Utopia, at last.  A beautiful day, this founding.

The wagon was quickly disassembled, an easy task as, once no more dwarves were in it, it was quite empty...but the stout dwarves had hope in their hearts, and equality on their minds.  "Power to the peasants!"  "Any job for any dwarf!" some shouted as they got to work.

OOC: The embarkation area
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The embarking party:

Yes, that's right.  All the dwarves are unskilled, and *nothing* was bought on the embarkation screen.  The entirety of the assets of the group are:
1) 2 Muskox (Tame) (pulled the wagon)
2) 3 Tower Cap logs (from the wagon)
3) Clothing
No blocks.  No picks.  No axes. 

This is playing the Legendary Lands mod.  Given the challenge, this may turn out to have been a mistake.  We'll see.

The rules:
1) All dwarves will have the same set of jobs enabled (save mining and woodcutting, being exclusive to eachother).  (Despite the slogan, not necessarily all jobs -- hunting is not going to be turned on initially, for instance.)
2) Of the migrants (if we get that far...), only peasants will be accepted.  All others will be...dealt with.
3) No personal rooms, offices, or dining rooms.  This means no bookkeeper or manager, effectively.

I'm not sure yet what to do about military; if the fort lasts long enough, eventually someone will turn elite and then refuse to do more work...but maybe that problem will solve itself down the line.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 11:02:59 am by Magua »
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tombquills: A Grand Experiment in Equality (Community)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 07:27:48 pm »

Communist dwarves?  Does that mean tax collectors/hammerers as well as all migrant nobility will be quickly and effectively atom-smashed?  I'll take a dwarf!

I always like the orderly dwarves, so if any have the traits "organized" or "Self-disciplined" I would like that dwarf.  Gender isn't really relevant.  If neither of those traits are available, maybe a dwarf that likes some sort of jade.

Dwarf Nickname:  Mook
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 11:21:46 pm by Mook »

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 07:34:57 pm »

Even thought it's seems doomed it it a great idea  :D

Can I request a dwarf
Name:Flint

Good luck with the fort

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 08:17:06 pm »

I was thinking this was going to be an interesting challenge until exactly the point where you didn't bring any equipment and now I strongly suspect this only go to end in tears. Should be awesome! ;D

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 08:28:15 pm »

ME WANT DWARF!

Name:LegoLord, Wannabe Dictator
Weapon-related profession: Mining

He strives to use this revolution to gain power.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 10:31:32 pm »

1st Granite: We have arrived.  The place is flat, but alive.  There are seeds to be gathered and ponds to be fished.  Legolord tells stories of creatures of flame that inhabit the volcanos; we decide to settle on the other side of the brook from the open magma vent. 

There is much to be done, but at the same time, little to do.  The wagon is broken into pieces of wood, which are carried to our founding site.  That is the extent of our supplies.  Some area is set aside for farming, but we have no seeds yet; gathering plants is the second thing to do.

I didn't get a lot of time to talk with my companions on the trip here -- I was elected to lead the oxen pulling the wagon -- but now we have plenty of time to converse...

(OOC: All labors turned on except for hunting, fishing, and mining.)

5th Granite: It didn't take long for us to set up.

18th Granite: After two weeks, we have stopped gathering plants.  Our labor over those two weeks has given us...two whip vine, one sliver barb, and one prickle berry.  Out of those, the prickle berry is all that is edible.

Not an auspicious beginning, but we shall persevere.  Across the brook, I have seen with my own eyes creatures of fire shambling around the magma pipe.  Legolord was right.  Luckily, they have shown no interest in us.  So far.  And despite the terrifying tales that we were taunted with as we were exiled to this land, the only other wildlife to be found so far are horses.  Safe enough.

With the poor results of our plant gathering, the commune has decided to allow fishing.  Almost immediately, we all sit down to fish, ignoring other chores, such as putting up the fishery.

Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 11:26:17 pm »

Nice.  I think as long as we can make it through the first year things should go smoothly.  No wealth = no migrants = fewer gobbo raids, I hope.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 01:44:24 am »

I shoved his hands on my hips

Wat.

Also, dwarf me, comrade!
Name: Inaluct

Anyway, it's about time someone tried this.

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 04:54:04 am »

I'd like a dwarf named Martian please. Preferably male but I'll take a female. I don't really care about the occupation.

Ratepe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 08:48:33 am »

I would like a Dorf as well please. :D

Name: Ratepe

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 10:00:24 am »

I shoved his hands on my hips

Wat.

Oops.  Changed it from third to first person.  Missed one. =P

Will have an update later today.  The first year went by both better and worse than I imagined...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 10:05:39 am »

i would like a peasant migrant please!

name?..... Karl Marx

I think you know where I'm goin with this!

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 11:24:51 am »

Dwarf please!

Given the theme, I think it would be appropriate to name him "Ivan" (or Ivanna). Preferably "constantly seething with internal rage", otherwise just the grumpiest bugger you can find.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 02:25:56 pm »

24th Slate: Fishing has proven far more productive than gathering the plants.  After someone ate the single, lone pickle berry, we went ahead and planted the seeds, but it's obvious that farming isn't at a level where it's going to sustain us in our mighty struggle...but the fish are plentiful, and once someone decided to actually go ahead and put together a fishery, were processed in a reasonable amount of time.  No one goes hungry for long, and there is plenty of clean water to drink from the brook.

2nd Felsite: We have a number of shells and bones piling up from our meals, we have decided to start making crafts out of them in preparation for the caravan's arrival, as a show of our productivity when we're unhampered with rules about who can do what.  Production continues apace. 

Life is good.  True, we don't have luxuries, like tables.  Or chairs.  Or alcohol.  Or ceilings.  Or doors.  Or beds.  But we are all content, and we are living off of our own labors.  How many members of the Soapmaker's Guild can say the same thing?  We are free dwarves.

22nd Felsite: The horses have wandered off, and were followed by armadilloes, who themselves wandered off, and now we have swans.  We were told this area would be terrifying, but aside from the creatures inhabiting the magma vent, this isn't bad at all...And after all these months of fish with the occasional prickle berry, swan meat sounds good...

1st Hematite: I and Deler are elected to go kill some swans and return with their corpses; it should provide both meat and leather.  I take no pleasure out of wringing the swan's neck, but we need the supplies.  Unfortunately, we are driven away from the corpse by a...what the hell is that thing?  Deler calls it a flame maiden.  I've never heard of a flame maiden, but I can see the fireballs it throws and feels the heat.  We run away, corpse-less but uninjured.

13th Malachite: I have this feeling that our fortress hasn't done well enough to attract more peasants to the cause, despite our happiness and simple pleasures.  Ah, well; they simply do not know what they are missing.  With their statues.  And legendary dining rooms.  And rock mugs.  And...

(OOC: On 6th Galena, there's a message that "Stray Muskox is more experienced"; I check, and, indeed, the muskoxen are all dabbling in the social skills.  Is this an effect of the Legendary Lands?)

27th Galena: We've noticed the flame creatures wandering further and further from their volcanic home; still, they seem reticient to come near the brook, so we've been safe for now.  Which is good, as we have no supplies for dealing with them, and I doubt that wrestling creatures made of fire would go very well for us.  Still, I worry about the future.  It's only a matter of time before there's a confrontation.

10th Limestone: THE DWARVEN CARAVAN IS HERE!  HURRY, DECONSTRUCT ALL THE BUILDINGS AND MAKE A TRADE DEPOT!  NO MORE FISHING!  THIS IS TOP PRIORITY!

11th Limestone: WHY ARE YOU ALL STILL FISHING?  I SAID NO MORE FISHING!  GET UP!  MOOOOOOVE!  DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND HOW IMPORTANT THIS IS?

23rd Limestone: By Armok, almost two weeks after the caravan has arrived, WE ARE FINALLY READY TO TRADE!  I'd hate to see what it would be like if this were a goblin ambush!  We've become so complacent with our lifestyle that we seem to have forgotten how to react under pressure.  But that's fine!  We've got plenty of bone crafts to trade, and with a pick or two in our hands, we'll finally be able to carve a real home.  So let's get this party started!

WHAT? YOU HAVE NO AXE?  YOU HAVE NO PICK?  AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH.
Magua has thrown a tantrum!
Magua has calmed down!

Ok, ok, calm down.  Deep breaths.  Deep breaths.  Let's see.  What do you have?  We'll make do, for our will is unstoppable.  So, we'll trade our riches of bone crafts...six months of our blood, sweat, and tears...for...some wood...and the single block you have.  By Armok, what kind of dwarves are you?  No axe, no pick, no anvil, no bloody stone, even?  Is this a joke?  Are you a bunch of bloody ELVES?

Magua has calmed down!

Ok.  Ok.  No, this is fine.  This is perfect.  We can use the wood to make some more buildings...fine.  Same with the block.  Ok.  Let's trade. 

"Mr. Merchant, sir, how much for these four logs, that native aluminum block, the tower cap barrel, this pig tail bag, and, um these plump helmets."

"Make me an offer."

"Um.  Ok.  Sure, how about these bone amulets and idols?"

"I won't trade at a loss."

"Sure, fine, we all need to make a living, right?  Ok, what *would* you trade for these bone amulets and idols?"

"Make me an offer."

"Um.  I did.  Remember?  Like five seconds ago?"

"Make me an offer."

I sigh.  "Fine.  Forget the plump helmets.  Can we trade these bone amulets and idols for your logs, your block, your barrel, and the pig tail bag?"

"Then *what* will you give us for these crafts?"

"Make me an offer."

"Listen to me, you little elf-bastard, who doesn't bother to bring picks, axes, or proper dwarven accoutrements with you, I *did* make you an offer!  Two!  Turn them down, fine, but you've got to meet me halfway here!" 

"Make me an offer."

Magua has calmed down!

"Fine.  FINE.  These amulets and idols for those logs."

"Great!"  The merchant seemed ecstatic with the trading.

"NOW.  What do you want for that native aluminum block?"

"Make me an offer."

"AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH.  How about *these* bone crafts?"

I blacked out after that.  When I came to, Mook told me that we had traded everything we owned for the logs and the aluminum block.  No bag, no barrel, no plump helmets.

I'm sure those merchants are chortling all the way back to the Mountainhome about the fortune they fleeced from us, the people.  Oh, they'll pay.  They'll pay dearly. 

But in the meantime, we break the Trade Depot apart, and reassemble our buildings -- a fishery, a kitchen, and a craftsdwarf's workshop.  With our newly purchased logs, we also fashion a carpenter's workshop. 

Then we all stare at the block.  It sure is shiny.  But what to do with it?  We could make another building with it...

Suddenly, an idea sprouts into my head.  I discuss it with the commune, and after some consideration, they agree.  Legolord is chosen, and hustles the block as fast as he can to the magma pipe, where he begins construction, but he doesn't get more than a third of the way through before fire imps start spilling out!

He runs.  Quite fast, really, all things considered.  After some time, the fire imps get bored and return to their abode, and he goes back to try again.  More construction, but it's interrupted yet again! 

Finally, after another pause, he goes back for a third time, and completes the structure before being chased off.  So we have, now, in the distance, a magma glass furnace.  We have no bag, and anytime anyone goes over there is the distinct risk that they will get charbroiled, but we have a magma glass furnace!

26th Limestone: Our carpenter's workshop is complete!  After almost no deliberation, we begin construction on a barrel!  A barrel to hold...ALCOHOL!  Finally, all those whip vines we've gathered will be of some use.  A still is put up in happy anticipation; I don't think I've seen so many smiles since we arrived here.

8th Sandstone: I've been busy fishing, but I just wandered by to check on the progress of the brewing when I discover THEY PUT FISH IN THE BARREL!  AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 02:47:48 pm by Magua »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 03:15:29 pm »

if normal creatures are appearing, shouldn't you be able to get some leather from them?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5