Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Faerie Fortress  (Read 4188 times)

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Faerie Fortress
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2008, 03:47:43 am »

Fixed dwarf caravan code (I think) added river products and some world constructions (wall, bridge, tunnel) to the Faerie.

I want to make flint weapon-usable, but don't want to make it as good as Obsidian. If I give it [SHARP] but set it to [DAMAGE_PERC:85] (bear in mind, bronze is 95) will that work? It's worrying that obsidian doesn't have a listed damage percentage.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2008, 04:15:30 am »

I believe that the obsidian sword damage is hard-coded to around par with steel, IIRC.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2008, 06:17:15 am »

A pain that. So it'll just ignore the [DAMAGE_PERC] tag?

Way too high a factor IMHO, even for obsidian.

Is this going to be unbalancing? I'm on flint now. Just had my stonecrafter rack up a flint 2-hander because he could.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2008, 06:38:06 am »

OK, on further checking flint might actually be that good.  :o I found a page of quotations from Spanish soldiers who fought the Mesoamericans and they not only keep mentioning how nasty the swords are, they consistantly say "flint" rather than obsidian.

Oh well, the idea of a pack of fair folk with flint zweihanders is an interesting one.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2008, 07:21:55 am »

OK, on further checking flint might actually be that good.  :o I found a page of quotations from Spanish soldiers who fought the Mesoamericans and they not only keep mentioning how nasty the swords are, they consistantly say "flint" rather than obsidian.

Oh well, the idea of a pack of fair folk with flint zweihanders is an interesting one.

zweihanders? ya know, that's what i always thought was strange with making swords outta brittle stones, that they can be made like regular swords inspite of the fact that they're brittle stones.

I mean, flint knives, flint tipped spears, even axes i'd be able to understand, but a giant ass sword like a zweihander? that'd break on the first use methinks. just my thoughts though.

what'd you change to correct the dwarven caravans btw? thats what i really want to know.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2008, 07:55:44 am »

A stone sword is a wooden "blade" with short lengths of sharpened stone glued around the outside to form the edge. That's why it needs a log. Making the entire blade out of obsidian or flint would, indeed, be dangerously brittle.

Based on what I read the Spanish did find them a bit of a handful.

In other news, I gave the dwarves the [progress_trigger_etc] tags and now they're tunring up in the first autumn. Not really desirable. I can't help but wonder what messed this up.

EDIT: I'm guessing, because humans lack them, they're not supposed to have [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION] or [PRODUCTION]. Just [trADE]. Removed those, we'll see what happens.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 08:02:42 am by Marlowe »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2008, 08:15:35 am »

i always thought it was fishy why the elves have PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION and PRODUCTION.

i'll do some more tests too. i'll change my pixies active season to spring just to see if i can do a test in one year instead of two.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 08:29:05 am by chaoticjosh »

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2008, 11:37:22 pm »

I keep getting sidetracked trying to find the perfect site, but I think I may have simply produced one too many rope reed socks or platinum goblets, and put myself over the production limit trigger before the end of summer. Sounds unlikely, but I suspect the first production trigger isn't set very high.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2008, 12:18:41 pm »

Trying a game on an untamed wilds forest with flint (to test the swords) and Rysiths' Orcs loaded, because I'm a complete idiot.

Putting the dwarves to [Progress_trigger_trade] and nothing else makes them turn up on schedule.  So, really, that's it. That's this mod done. The problem before was that I was exceeding the [progress_trigger_trade] too early with platinum goblets and such.

Fat chance here. I've found no platinum. Just Lignite, Magnetite (ok, there might be platinum in that. I've been busy) endless bauxite (useless stuff) and cassiterite. The latter, with my changes to bronze, would be a really good thing if we could find copper.

No Butiniumous coal (the black magma) so far. That sucks.

We got off to a slow start, thanks to my unwillingness to start metalworking before we had coal and to my insistance on channeling around a quite broad area before we started real work. I've haven't  had such shameful trdae values for a while. Then again, I've been thinking : ORCS!!!!.

We had our first siege on autumn of the second year (oh yeah, I changed the Orc campaigning season to summer+autumn, to get the Faerie caravan). Seven Maulers and eight wrestlers. It was all over quite quickly. I'm pretty sure sure the dwarven caravan guards did most of the work, but my surviving military got four kills. Not counting kills from my weapon traps (flint greatswords and green glass serrated disks) and the girl who died.

Cana whatshername, Elite Wrestler with a flint longsword, was struck down. Her sacrifice will be remembered.

My armourer has a broken arm and a kill. I mobilised my miners and woodcutters as a reserve. Of course they charged...I'm still waiting for her to be picked up.

OK, corridor of death will work but I need to stop (EDIT: START!) laying traps near the FAR end. Even set to "hold position" they run out and engage beyond the trap lines.

3 kills from 3 bow-armed Faerie with fairly small practice indicate that maybe Orcs aren't as arrow-proof as advertised. MORE BOWS! MORE TRAPS! MORE FLINT LONGSWORDS! MORE IRON CHAIN MAIL!

Morgoth shall get the bill, if we survive.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 06:35:47 pm by Marlowe »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2008, 03:17:35 pm »

Putting the dwarves to [Progress_trigger_trade] and nothing else makes them turn up on schedule.  So, really, that's it. That's this mod done. The problem before was that I was exceeding the [progress_trigger_trade] too early with platinum goblets and such.

I think you meant PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION, just to clarify for anyone else reading.

So in order to get the humie and dorf caravans on time, i need to export enough to convince them? if so then i guess i'm theoretically done also. One more test run though.

One question Marlowe, do you know if the world buildings like roads and bridges have any effect on that civ? or are they just their to look good?

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2008, 04:46:59 pm »

It's not that the faries are at war with the elves. It's the other way around.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2008, 06:43:10 pm »

I think you meant PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION, just to clarify for anyone else reading.

So in order to get the humie and dorf caravans on time, i need to export enough to convince them? if so then i guess i'm theoretically done also. One more test run though.

One question Marlowe, do you know if the world buildings like roads and bridges have any effect on that civ? or are they just their to look good?

Duh. Yes, that's what I meant.

The fact that Elves get all three triggers means they'll reliably turn up as long as you produce some stuff. The fact that humans just have the trade tag means they'll only turn up after you've traded a certain value with the Elves and Dwarves. This explains why they sometimes don't make it until third year.

No idea about the roads and things. It SHOULD give them an advantage in moving troops around, but I'm not sure.

I've given the Faerie roads just to make it easier to tell their forts from the Orc grassland ones and the goblin ones.

I just realised that Rysith's renaming worked and mine didn't. I wonder why that is? I'll have to recheck the tags.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2008, 06:44:28 pm »

well if you've got it done is there any way the rest of us could convince you to let us get a peek at it or potentially use it for our own games?  I'm just starting to hit the point where I try building big projects right out the door and embarking in terrifying areas, so I'm game for something a little unusual.

(the first terrifying area had undead monkeys, and a lot meaner than the PotC critter.)
Demon of Darkness

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2008, 06:47:12 pm »

Let me makes sure everything's working! Besides, I've changed a few files now, I'll have to zip the whole raws folder.

Fixed the renaming issue. It was just the one unit. I'd written crossbowmen instead of crossbowman.

The Faerie caravan comes with a trade liason, the dwarven one does not. Makes buying from the dwarves a tad hit and miss. I want dimple cups! The Human, Elven  Caravans behave normally.

Orcs are fun.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2008, 09:22:55 pm »

lol sorry if it seems like I'm rushing ya, just like trying new stuff with this game.  never get particularly far into a 'mature' fort, but it's more about the enjoyment than anything else, right? :)  And yes, Rys's orcs are fun
Demon of Darkness
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4