Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Faerie Fortress  (Read 4179 times)

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Faerie Fortress
« on: December 01, 2008, 10:34:07 am »

Well, I modded a race of elves that do digging, woodcutting, all the usual stuff, and consider eating a sapient kill unthinkable. They're physically indistinguishable from the standard elves, but with a lot of dwarf (which are also Tolkeinian elf) traits. They're called fey/faerie/faerie. Not imaginative, but I wanted something generic without replacing Toadie's Elves.

OK, two problems.

1, These guys go war to the knife with the regular elves. I presume over the cannibalism thing. There's areas (and whole worlds) we're there's Faerie but no Elves, and others we're there's Elves and no Faerie. The goblins survive, but the way in which the dark fortresses keep going from grey to pink to grey again makes me think the Faerie are putting the gobbos under a lot of extra pressure. I need to think of ways to stop them being so -cidal.

2, I can't seem to kill the thing that makes them make wooden weapons. I made them by copy/pasting the regular elves, and exising or changing the bits I didn't want and adding the tags I did. Somehow I kept the wooden weapons bit. There's no obvious tag for it. Don't get me wrong, this is an advantage, since you can get a woodcutting implement for 10 points instead of 300, but it seems wrong.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Faerie Fortress
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 10:49:34 am »

Oh... ok, I thought by the title that you were creating some sort of sissy barbie df, but now I can see that you have created a homocidal killer race hell bent on destruction.

This is what I love about this community.

Anyway, you could consider making them smaller and not breed as often, so they are not much of a threat, or make them tolerant to elves.

As for the wood-weapons thing, copy paste them into HUMANS and change it around a lil bit.

I think classifying them as ELVES automaticlly makes them use wood weapons.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 11:05:24 am »

"Captain, I smell incense and hear Creedence Clearwater up ahead."

"I knew it. High Elves. Let's hope they don't have the munchies, boys."

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 11:23:01 am »

Did this have anything at all to do with this thread?

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 11:53:47 am »

OK. I think the big problem is preferred environment. I gave them [ENTITY:FOREST], since it's what they DO. This means the comp can't differentiate between them and the conventional elven civs and you have to fiddle around with which civ you come from to get the right one (IE, both a Faerie neighbour and the Elf neighbour). It's dealing with Faerie and Elves as the same civ.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 11:57:53 am »

You could call it a civil war...  ;D

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 12:01:57 pm »

I know for a fact that just making them elves doesn't cause wooden equipment, because I've run into this with modded races before.  I'm pretty sure it's WOOD_PREF that lets them use wood for an equipment material, which then overrides any other materials for some obscure reason.  Try taking that out and see what happens.

Did this have anything at all to do with this thread?

It's always a good time for some Creedence Clearwater.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 01:47:13 am »

Yeah, it should be [WOOD_PREF]
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 09:14:05 am »

Well, turning off [WOOD_PREF] made it impossible to get any weapons on embark other than bows, arrows, picks, and the default axes. I also kept wondering why it kept treating Elves and Faerie the same.

I eventually fixed both problems by setting their default site to Dark Fortress. This caused no clash with the goblins because they were still trying to set up their fortresses in forests, but avoided whatever hardcoding there is in [trEE CITY] that was making the game treat them like elves. This means we can now have comingling with our cannibal brethren, plus metal weaponry. Joy.

I spent several hours tweaking stuff and generating worlds to see how they went. They are quite aggressive but don't ever seem to attack humans or dwarves (although I gave them [slavery unthinkable] to try to provoke them into attacking humans). They hit the elves and goblins pretty hard though. The last world I generated the elves failed to survive. Goblins do better as they seem to have an advantage when defending their fortresses, but are plainly more pressured than usual.

I've been tweaking the name-tags to make them a bit less flowery, but it's still hard to tell the difference between the Elf names and the Faerie ones.

now we actually have to PLAY these guys. ::)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 02:26:04 pm »

Give them either stone_pref or metal_pref to replace the lack of wood_pref.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 06:30:02 pm »

Gave them those things right at the start. Don't know why it should be "either", though, dwarves have three "pref" tags. The problem was I left in wood_pref because I had no idea it effected things more than the other tags.

I think I might change their default biome to "any-wetland", just so they aren't competing with elves for the same territory.

I tweaked their name routines so they use Evil (since most "evil" stuff isn't so much evil as warlike. It's the "ugly" and "untoward" that causes squicky names) components, now a lot of them are getting goblin first names (evidently, there aren't any evil Elf first names). Young people today...

EDIT: No trees on the marshes and swamps are a little less than common. We'll try putting them on the shrubland.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 02:02:51 am by Marlowe »

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 10:07:23 am »

OK, tried 'em on the shrubland. Boring. Tried 'em on shrubland and wetland. They got too big, and killed all the Elves again. So I'm sticking them in the wetlands for now.

Played 'til late winter on a terrifying mountain with a chasm. Not really that terrifying. Most of the monsters stay on their side of the map and the troll can't get out of the chasm. The giant eagle is content to soar. Almost makes up for starting on a really steep slope near the foot of the fountain with the wagon destroyed and having to tunnel up through it's guts to get some farmland.

Problem, no way to get them to equip bows. The crossbow-making skill worked for getting the bowyers workshop up and some bows made, but the weapons menu still asks for crossbow. They just pick up a quiver and look confused.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 10:41:06 am »

I really like the idea of a faerie fortress, but i have some questions marlowe.

are these like, tiny fit-in-your-palm faeries with tiny wings that fly? or are these some sort of weird relatives of the elf family? not really related to modding, but i want to know.

maybe to make them more suitable for not warring violently, you could reduce their body size? it'd make sense after all.

if you just played normally with these faeries, would they send trade caravans? if so, in what season?

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 10:53:00 am »

They're Elves. The words are synonymous. They they have no deviation from Toadies' Elves in Creature Standard at all, just different ethics and a full skill list.

Considering my idea of elves comes from Tolkien and from Andersen's babysnatching bronze-working slavers, I don't have a problem with them warring violently. Unfortunately, there's no way to make them allergic to ferric metals. Just putting them in the forest with the Elves was unbalancing. They both hated each other on sight, and one side has weapons and a decent defense bonus from the fortress. The other does not (looking at the battles, it's pretty obvious that most races get a big bonus from defending their site. Elves don't seem to).

They send the caravan in winter, because that's where I set their active season, because nobody else was using it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 11:21:13 am »

you've inspired me Marlowe, now i want to make a custom race. based off of your idea, i want to make Pixies. Just like the good-area vermin, except their own race.

i won't clutter your topic though, i'll make my own thread for it. good luck with your faeries.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4