Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Elves get a bad rep.  (Read 2987 times)

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
Re: Elves get a bad rep.
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 04:36:26 pm »

Waitaminute... If elves EAT the people they kill, and, assuming we get assume Elf Civ. V Elf Civ. wars... Would they canabalize?

Elves will usually not war among themselves because there are usually only one or two elf civs, they're usually far away from each other, their strict ethics do not conflict with themselves, and their gods don't oppose similar gods.

They would do it (and sometimes do, in the case of elves raised by goblins etc.), but they don't consider it to be a big deal.

They eat what they kill, I think, because it's supposed to in some way excuse the fact that they took a life at all. Also, they don't cut down trees to make wooden goods, they magically grow completed goods from living plants and harvest them without killing said plant. The leather/meat thing is a bug.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Mashirafen

• Bay Watcher
  • Meow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 05:26:28 pm »

They eat what they kill, I think, because it's supposed to in some way excuse the fact that they took a life at all.

'Oh, sorry, I appear to have just killed you. Here, let me show my sorrow and regret by making a stew out of your face.'

commondragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 05:28:49 pm »

They eat what they kill, I think, because it's supposed to in some way excuse the fact that they took a life at all.

'Oh, sorry, I appear to have just killed you. Here, let me show my sorrow and regret by making a stew out of your face.'

Nah, more like: "OH MY GOD, HE NEVER AMOUNTED TO ANYTHING USEFUL! unless..."

And that's how elfish cannibalism started
WheEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 08:50:22 pm »

Rascist assholes who think they're superior to you for some reason, damned if I know why.

Quote from: elf
MY MORALITY IS BETTER THAN YOUR MORALITY, HA HA! NEENER NEENER NEEENUUUUR!

Alright, maybe that's why. Short jokes, demanding, demanding that we limit our wood supply. It's an implacable challenge for a beginner with an aquifer to NOT cut down logs in a heavily wooded area. "Alright, we see you're starving to death, and we see there's this massive feast right in front of you, but you can't eat any food, because... IT'S ALIVE!"

Cue Urist McHungry to start ripping throats out with his teeth. Because dammit, he ranks his survival higher than innocent fluffy fucking animals. How do you think he feels about inanimate, lifeless trees? If those beliefs make him inferior to the elves, he's fine with that. But when they bring height into things, Oh,

It's on.

That's when I'll happily build a siege workshop out of willow, a ballista out of birch, cedar, and pine, and then I'll make twenty six ballista bolts out of whatever wood is closest, and I'll point it RIGHT DOWN the road to my trade depot made of SOAP and THE REMAINING WOOD OF THE MAP. SO HELP ME ARMOK I WILL TILE THE ENTIRE EXTERIOR OF THE MAP IN WOOD IF THOSE ELVES CRACK ONE MORE GODDAMNED SHORT JOKE, THEN I SHALL MAKE ARROWS OUT OF THE BONES OF UNICORNS AND KITTENS, THEN WE'LL SEE WHO'S LAUGHING YOU POMPOUS ASSHOLES!
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 11:32:10 pm »

Leather, bones and meat were added to acceptable goods to make dealing with them easier. They don't care about bloodstains anymore either

I really only cared about the bloodstain issue

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 11:47:40 pm »

They never cared about bloodstains. That was one of those myths that goes around the forums and never dies. I tested it several times and they happily bought blood (and vomit) stained items every time.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 03:37:15 am »

Hmm, guess I accidentally tried selling them giant cave spider chitin items then

I don't really see why they accept animal goods now if blood wasn't an issue

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 05:34:16 am »

They eat what they kill, I think, because it's supposed to in some way excuse the fact that they took a life at all. Also, they don't cut down trees to make wooden goods, they magically grow completed goods from living plants and harvest them without killing said plant. The leather/meat thing is a bug.

You know, it's possible that Toady made them this way solely to get them to war with other races once in a while, out of the ethics. Maybe if you change it via raws, they don't fight dwarves often enough.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 12:14:22 pm »

Leather, bones and meat were added to acceptable goods to make dealing with them easier. They don't care about bloodstains anymore either

I really only cared about the bloodstain issue

They don't care about Bloodstains anymore? Well then POOF I have no problems with my Elf buddies I love them and their TONS of wood all over again!

How do they feel about Vomit?

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 02:01:20 pm »

If you fight a wild animal in adventure mode, they'll gladly watch you die. In one fight with wolves, an elf stood on top of me when I tried to get back up.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 02:26:59 pm »

How do they feel about Vomit?

They never cared about that

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 04:03:16 pm »

Wait, you guys are getting useful stuff from the Elves?  All they ever bring me is fifteen bins of rope reed cloth and a Wild Strawberry [5].
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Mashirafen

• Bay Watcher
  • Meow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 04:16:39 pm »

I don't even get the strawberries.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 04:31:43 pm »

Actually I think they just kind of chomp into the body on the spot.

The idea, I think, is that Elves are a lot like animals. Their ability to put themselves in other peoples' shoes is limited, but it's made up for by their adherence to a behavior pattern that isn't likely to cause problems unless they are provoked. If they are supposedly the first (or one of the first) races, this works out great.

Unfortunately, since Mr. Urist Come Lately has recently decided to start cutting down trees, problems do tend to develop.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2008, 03:21:52 pm »

Actually I think they just kind of chomp into the body on the spot.

The idea, I think, is that Elves are a lot like animals. Their ability to put themselves in other peoples' shoes is limited, but it's made up for by their adherence to a behavior pattern that isn't likely to cause problems unless they are provoked. If they are supposedly the first (or one of the first) races, this works out great.

Unfortunately, since Mr. Urist Come Lately has recently decided to start cutting down trees, problems do tend to develop.

The raging heightism/racism is a bit of a put-down for me as well.
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling
Pages: 1 [2] 3