Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Elves get a bad rep.  (Read 2991 times)

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elves get a bad rep.
« on: December 01, 2008, 07:10:31 am »

Those poor, maligned elves get pounded all the time for no real good reason. They're just trying to stay true to their values, after all.

So what if they're a bit off-kilter with liking wooden items but not wanting to trade for them, and not caring if they're buying meat or leather despite being animal friendly?

They just need a valiant philosopher to show them the error of their ways, not death.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elves get a bad rep.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 07:16:41 am »

Yes, i propose we not only send the philosopher, but we send all our nobles to them. They can deal with all those frickin' mandates.

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 08:26:58 am »

poor elves

The only sentence I can think of that has those two words in it would be "The Elves put up a poor fight".
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 09:26:59 am »

They use the word "stunted" when describing dwarves. Show no mercy!  ;)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 10:15:56 am »

The part that annoys me about elves is that in a establish fort you are likely to have blood on everything. Making trade with elves difficult

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 11:02:47 am »

not if you make a dwarfwash.

Dwarves love waterfalls. It is the only way you can convice them to take a bath!
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 11:04:18 am »

Dwarves love waterfalls. It is the only way you can convice them to take a bath!

That is a level of expertise I do not have...

Oddly though in my game (which I no longer have) I constantly steal from the elves everytime they come... They still don't hate me and still bring me plenty of stuff

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 11:41:50 am »

I think Neonivek has the right idea. The elves are hypocrites, gladly selling me tons of wooden materials and items, but not wanting mine?
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 12:33:17 pm »

That is a level of expertise I do not have...

Oddly though in my game (which I no longer have) I constantly steal from the elves everytime they come... They still don't hate me and still bring me plenty of stuff

Ya they're much too stupid to be sympathized with
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 12:41:47 pm »

They are deservedly so. THEY EAT YOUR CORPSE!!!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 12:53:36 pm »

You forgot to mention the part where, even if you are friendly with them and agree to their stupid tree cutting limits they still insult you, year after year, even if you never cut another tree.

Or how the 'trees' you grow yourself (tower caps, which are really mushrooms) in your own fortress are also considered protected by them, and they get angry if you cut them down.

Or how they can't even be bothered to find out what you want/need with a liaison like civilized races, so they expect you to trade masterful dwarven craftsmanship for a bunch of berries and cloth they happen to have laying around and maybe the rare interesting wild animal.

I could go on but I have to finish my Anti-Elf Trade Depot Defensive System with Automated Magma Cleanup (AETDDSAMC) before they show up to pester me again.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 02:56:24 pm »

Are your poor little feelings hurt by the tiny little reference to your height? Okay, so the elves do belittle you a tiny bit, but it's such a small thing that you don't need to get all angry about it. Especially the, y'know, murdering. That's a little extreme.

As for the trees...

Of course, there is the whole diplomat coming in and threatening you about the number of trees you are allowed to have in your stockpiles, but seriously? It's so easy to accomodate that that I don't really see the reason why you'd care. Unless, of course, you rely on a non-magma powered metalworking industry, but that's un-dwarfy and wasteful. Moreover, 100 trees per year would still keep you in beds, buckets and charcoal quite handily, unless you're making a tower out of metal or some equally big project that goes beyond the odd bit of furniture or armor.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 02:58:43 pm by Glacies »

EverybodylovesTJ

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McNaughty
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 03:16:30 pm »

Waitaminute... If elves EAT the people they kill, and, assuming we get assume Elf Civ. V Elf Civ. wars... Would they canabalize?
Need I even mention the GIANT ASS BOOK?
Quote from: Toady One
So even if you aren't really hurting the titan, at least you can make little marks on it and bother it or something.

Jisaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 03:35:41 pm »

Are your poor little feelings hurt by the tiny little reference to your height? Okay, so the elves do belittle you a tiny bit, but it's such a small thing that you don't need to get all angry about it. Especially the, y'know, murdering. That's a little extreme.

This means war.

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 04:29:05 pm »

That's a little extreme.
I'm just pulling a tiny lever linked to a nice cage in the enclosed trade depot. Why get upset about such a tiny lever? ;-)

EDIT: Formatting messed up.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 04:30:43 pm by Martian »
Pages: [1] 2 3