Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Evolution 4 - Need new players, Turn 1 done! Post your damn actions for turn 2!!  (Read 15293 times)

Shikogan

• Bay Watcher
  • Comically insane
    • View Profile

This here's a forum game, namely a forum game ripoff of what Spore might have been (though technically we started five months ago).  In Evolution: The Game you, the player, have two options.  You can take the helm of a burgeoning species on a gene warping planet, guide their path through the challenges and perils of natural selection and civilization in a world gone mad.  Or you can lend your imagination and likeness to the Gods, for they are real and powerful, and grant your favor or meet out vengeance.  Meet, trade, battle, pray, build, and forge a world.

Rules:

The Species:
The heart of the matter – every species is a combination of Breeding Rate, Biological Traits, Civil Traits, and Special Traits.  Every trait has a Level between 1 and 50.  Increasing any individual ability or trait costs Evolution Points (EP) – from 1 to 10 costs one EP per level, from 11 to 20 costs two EP per level, three EP for 21-30, four for 31-40, and five for 41-50.  There is no Master List of Traits or anything like that – make up what you'd like to see, and I'll find a way to make it fit.  Bear in mind the 1-50 rating – spending one point at a time won't net you much capability.

* A general description of the Species is a great place to start.  What they look like, act like, living conditions, any general points.  This will be expanded over time as the species changes and grows.
    * Breeding Ability is what it says.  A species' population growth is determined by (besides outside factors) a Litter Size, Breeding Age, and Death Age.  By default, a species will have a Litter of 1, Breeds at 10, and Dies around 20.  Increasing Breeding Rate costs EP, but to account for the myriad breeding schemes nature can create, just describe a biology and general breeding ability and I'll come up with the numbers and cost.  Differences between EP costs for breeding and the standard start total will be refunded on the species' next turn after joining, just to keep everything simple.  If you're using the old threads for reference, ignore the 'Dividing Factor' on old species.
    * Biological Traits make up the Species' actual physique and abilities.  By default, a species is a formless blob of no determinate size (consider a creature's size subsumed under other traits) capable of moving, perceiving it's environment, self-sustained survival, and little else.  Build thyself, and nothing is too far beyond reason.
    * Civil Traits include anything that isn't paranormal or biological, especially technologies – everything from construction to adaptations to sciences to governance to any conceivable tool or concept, including any kind of civilized organization beyond basic pack-like structures.  Pick up a Civilization game if you need ideas.  Progression must have a logic – it need not be Earthlike or even realistic, but always have a justification.  Right now, every extant species is in the Stone Age, but don't feel pressured to become civilized at all – monster species are great.  Also, don't worry about losing points in narrow paths like Weaving or Fire Making, spend them - later I'll introduce an Ages system to recombine and refund points spent on 'primitive' technologies.
    * Special Traits are anything else, especially paranormal stuff – Psychic powers already being quite popular.  Religious powers would fall under this as well – not the organization of a religion, but the actual ability to contact and influence the Gods.  Again, don't feel obligated, mundanes are always welcome.

The Fickle Dice:
Every turn, I'll roll d100's to determine the effects of the various turn events and attempts by the player at doing things.  Species Abilities add to this roll as appropriate, as does Godly favor (disfavor does what you'd expect).  EP points are awarded (or subtracted) based on the results, along with population growth, resources, new events, and so forth.  For reference, each turn is about a hundred years long - development and conflict takes place on a generational timescale.

The Gods (Attn apathetic players):
Gods don't have to do much besides exists, but Godly players should feel free to post whatever suggestions and guidance you want.  Rules are pretty freeform – Describe the God's manifestations, story, and desires.  Pick one Major Sphere and two Minor Spheres (DF's spheres are a good inspiration) – nothing too broad like 'Death' or 'Creation', but 'Pestilence' or 'Birth' would be acceptable.  A God can perform an Action once per turn, expending Power Points (PP) to kick their chosen ones along the path they set.  Gods are empowered by worship – every 1000 active worshipers generate one PP per turn.

The Planet (Name Wanted!):
All action takes place on one planet, dominated by a giant continent in a giant ocean (referred to as Pangaea for simplicity).  All biomes exist in some form on Pangaea (arctic is rare), and is permeated by deep and powerful energies that supercharge the evolutionary process.  Players can invent whatever incidental wildlife you like (no powergaming), and strategically useful lifeforms will be introduced as events.  As for Pangaea's recent history, after the great floods subsided, a living storm of fungi fell upon the world, and while its now receding, the fungus is probably permanent now.  Mostly a food source if somewhat hostile, certain forms can have weird effects on creatures (spoiler alert).  More recently, the Sun turned green, pushing evolution past overdrive, and putting Pangaea in a generational cold snap.  Things are clearing up all around, many new species have emerged, and many old ones find themselves altered by the long dim years.

Each hex can have a max population of for a "regular" species of 10000, but hexes must be improved to gain this maximum. How much improvements are to be decided by me.

new species have 85 EP to spend, and can choose 5 hexes, also gods are just 'there', there is no god movement like there was in Evo Lite and gods begin with 1 PP.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 10:31:45 pm by Shikogan »
Arguing on the internet is like running in the special Olympics; even if you win you're still retarded.

Shikogan

• Bay Watcher
  • Comically insane
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution 4 (oh god please let this continue)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 11:34:47 pm »

Map of Pangaea
http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w324/Shikogan/Evo4-Turn0.jpg

MAP FEATURES
D-29 The Shriekers, lost offshoot of the Shrike
N-26 The Myarri, regressed descendants of the Mii'Ari
M-23 Epicenter of The Fungus
O-19 Active magma vents
V-6 Massive self-sustaining cyclone
W-27 Huge glowing meteor
Fungus zones, while hostile to native life, are livable.

The Species -

Duke 2.0's Shrike - EP Total:132 Available:17
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nilocy's Jhiar'd – EP Total:155 Available:18

Aqizzar's Kadesh - EP Total:134 Available:10

Iituem's
Wimdit's Yrb - EP Total:116 Available:11

penguinofhonor's Chibor - EP Total:109 Available:16

Tuv's Umgran - EP Total:102 Available:17

Shikogan's Ahkarii - EP Total:121 Available:14

The Gods -

Lukut Cush Lhac, by Gantolandon - Power Points: 6

Nevon, by Asheron – Power Points: 41

Omega Alpha, by omagaalpha – Power Points: 1

Timad, by Grek - Power Points: 0

Andrea, by andrea – Power Points: 1

Patecatl by Cheetar - Power Points: 0
[spoile]Bovine divinty of Earth, Medicine, Fertility[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 07:11:52 am by Shikogan »
Arguing on the internet is like running in the special Olympics; even if you win you're still retarded.

Shikogan

• Bay Watcher
  • Comically insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 11:36:03 pm »

okay now, everyone who wishes to continue playing must pm me, and then post the last turn they did in Evo 3 as it doesnt appear that Aqizzar is going to finish the last turn.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 11:38:34 pm »

I can has joining?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 11:46:37 pm »

PM'd.

The green chibor were chattering busily amongst themselves. Several generations ago, some chibor had decided that one green chibor wasn't enough to make decisions for the ever-growing chibor population. Therefore, several green chibor now lead them at a time.

Their self-domestication had worked. This not only gave them a new source of food, but got rid of some of the dumber chibor. The only problem was that some larger predators would come in search of the tasty chibor and would take down many of the regular chibor when in their territory. They instructed the breeders to specialize the tasty chibor's flavor, in order to make them appeal only to the chibor themselves.

There was another strange problem. The chibor in the southwest were moving themselves away from the areas with the Lar. The green chibor suspected that the Lar had strange powers beyond the chibor's comprehension (although it's not hard to be beyond the chibor's comprehension). They weren't scaring the chibor, just telling them to move. And the chibor were believing them. How odd.
The green chibor altered the minds of their own chibor to become resistant to any foreign thoughts that would be projected into their heads.

They could see that there was probably going to be conflict with the Lar, and didn't want that. But they valued their territory and decided to push forward as hard as they could.

The Aam had become strangely disorganized, like their leaders had been lost. The Chibor saw an opportunity in their farms, which they still kept. The chibor, still motivated primarily by hunger, were going to try to expand into their territory as well.

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: EP (click to show/hide)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 11:59:40 pm »

~Post Reserved~

I am probably in to many forum games already, feel free to PM me if I'm forgetting stuff.
I have seen these evolution games grow hugs, and they seem fun if a bit on the silly unrealistic side.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Tuv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 12:50:29 am »

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: EP Usage (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Comment on Post RP (click to show/hide)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 02:50:02 am »

I'll sign up as a God.

Timad was a deity that occurs in the myths of Pangaea. Timad was most often depicted as a male hydra and was associated with nightmares, dreams and fishing. Major sphere will be dreams, I think. With Duke 2.0's permission, I'd like to be favouring the Shrike.

Backstory:
At the dawn of time, when life had just began to evolve, Timad swam the seas, eating fish. Lots and lots of fish. As the ages passsed, Timad grew old and tired. He now spends most of his time asleep and dreaming of the world. He will often share his dreams with favoured mortals, granting them visions of his old fishing spots, strange ideas or simply horrible nightmares.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 04:15:18 am by Grek »

Shikogan

• Bay Watcher
  • Comically insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 07:39:46 am »

sorry no. no-one new is joining there may be spots later on if people drop out but otherwise keeping player list as-is.

omagaalpha

• Bay Watcher
  • positve infinite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 07:58:11 am »

"When in time I have recover I will bring yous more asteroid from sky to show you what I can do. In mean time I will helps yous make more comfortable burrows" said Omega Alpha to his followers.
Omega Alpha who had also took little time to study how they lived and do stuff. Then Omega Alpha start to help Umgran more so with white shells to try reward them in improve the burrows after he was sure he knew how they live and work.

Spoiler: Action (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: comment (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Jetsquirrel
Announce that i saw the whole creation of hte universe! and hold the monolith again
|The monolith is alive! And seemingly annoyed by your hugs. Or maybe static electricity of some kind that for some reason didn’t hit you last time.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 08:31:11 am »

Ah, okay. Thrown off by "I'm not making a player-cap right now" in first post. X_X
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 10:38:49 am »

I want to continue. I'll post my turn asap.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 11:42:39 am »

I suppose I ought to be ashamed.  I've got pretty used to missing stuff, so meh.

Honestly, this semester just about killed me, partly because I had a lot of essay heavy stuff so I was burned out of writing.  Even time I thought of doing the last turn I'd remember that with all those players, it took me about 15 hours to write all the updates.  So far, every GM to tackle this game has made through three turns before crapping out.  Good luck.

Also, if you'll have me, I'd love to keep playing.  As previous GM I should tell you that the d100 system from the old OP doesn't work all that well.  The system I adopted later (if you've forgotten) totaled the EP of all species, came up with the average, centered that on zero, and made it the die roll.  I can repost the bigger explanation if you need it.

True to form, I haven't though of actions or anything yet.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 12:25:23 pm »

Alright, here is my last action from Evolution 3.

Very good. My agenda is furthered.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Shikogan

• Bay Watcher
  • Comically insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 05:58:47 am »

Ah, okay. Thrown off by "I'm not making a player-cap right now" in first post. X_X

yeah sorry about that it was just a copy and paste from Aqizzar's one, i honestly didn't read through it lol. so yeah  my bad....

okay so far we are only waiting on: andrea, Euchre Jack, Gantolandon, Iituem, Draigh, NonAnonymous, Duke 2.0 and A1s....hmm that's a fair few people, so yeah when they are done and posted i will do the results.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 06:02:15 am by Shikogan »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6