Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Ant Colony [CONCEPT]  (Read 3998 times)

Coke_Can64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ant Colony [CONCEPT]
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2008, 05:01:18 am »

Also a megabeast that is named Magnify Glass Focus. An unkillable thing with a very low attack but a high temp so insects near it catch fire.

This. It's awesome. Make it [GRASS_TRAMPLE:50] or something to represent the grass/ground behind it burnt away plus the extreme high temp.

@^ I did.
I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ME DRILLING HOLES IN ELVES
+Population Myminicity
+Tra Myminicity
+Ind Myminicity

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2008, 07:55:03 pm »

Its hard making a replacement insect for dragons. What's a giant green scaled flying fire breathing insect?

Bombardier beetle!
Ok it isn't giant and not sure if any species are green, but it can fly and it shoots an exploding luquid from its abdomen! :o
I vote Bombardier Beetles for dragons.  They are indeed giant compared to ants, ladybugs, and termites, which are what replace dwarves, elves, and termites.  Well, at least ladybugs should replace elves.  They are both rather irritating, according to my brother.

Trees should be replaced by flowers.

Termites replace termites?
Sorry, termites replace humans.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2008, 08:23:51 pm »

Actually, there is a variety of ant found on nearly every continent that might act similarly to this:
For example, you pick one up in America and bring it to a colony in Australia, the Australian colony will accept this ant.  However, I cannot recall the name of the species.
There is one megacolony of sorts that stretches along a large portion of the north Mediterranean coast, between numerous individual colonies, which would basically be a civ by DF definitions.  I think trade is plausible depending on the species.  This might also be the same species that Legolord was talking about.

That species would be the Argentine ant. I like to think i pay attention when i watch documentaries.  :P

Hell, did anyone read my post?

Dwarves would be argentine ants (since dwarves never really war with dwarves) and humans would be fire ants or something.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 08:26:07 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2008, 09:00:28 pm »

The problem there being that you wouldn't want to call them 'Argentine Ants', because there ain't no Argentina on the Cyclopean Planet.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 04:25:41 am »

Hey, i know what goblins should be.

Polyergus.

They're a type of ant in which the queen only produces soldiers (and new queens/males of course). Normally this would mean that they wouldn't be able to gather food, but they compensate for this by raiding other ant nests and stealing their pupae. They then raise these ants as slaves which do all the work.

It's perfect for goblins.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 09:23:55 am »

Hey, i know what goblins should be.

Polyergus.

They're a type of ant in which the queen only produces soldiers (and new queens/males of course). Normally this would mean that they wouldn't be able to gather food, but they compensate for this by raiding other ant nests and stealing their pupae. They then raise these ants as slaves which do all the work.

It's perfect for goblins.
Whoa.  Dang, ants are awesome (in a very odd way).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2008, 06:28:23 am »

there are so many great species that prey just on ants in crazy ways. like the jumping spider that pretends to be an ant, wanders around near other ants till it gets one by itself then ambushes it. there are also parasites that permanantly alter ants behaviours in different ways, like making them climb up to the tips of grass blades so they get eaten by sheep (parasite can only reproduce inside a sheep, droppings get eaten by ants, so on.)

the best one i can think of for a megabeast encounter, which preys of leafcutter ants, is a kind of catterpiller which has a massive impregnible white shell like shield over it. its impervious to attack from the ants, who go berserk trying to get rid of it as it enters their nest, finds the hatchery, and eats all the ant larvae. then it spins itself a cocoon and is ignored for a while. when it pops up later as a moth, its covered in sticky stuff that the ants have major issues biting though. they go mental again as it finds its way out and eventually flies off.

THIS MUST BE MODDED IN!!!

i want a megabeast encouter that doesnt just die when it gets hit on the head by my first stonefall trap, or taken down by a random hunter. seriously, ive never ever had any kind of issue with any megabeast in DF, a moderately equipped army, or a single set of traps at the entrance, has been all ive ever needed. i mean, last time i was set on a tantrumming legendary farmer broke the dragons leg after it ate his pet cow, and it kept fainting before it could get to my cage traps so i shot it down with two crossbowmen.

BUT, something which is nigh on invincible that makes its way in, eats all your food and then spins a cocoon for a half year or so before emerging and escaping, only to have its offspring come back, would be hectic. i want to play this so bad.

seriously. the world of insects is so filled with pure ownage its hard to look around without tripping over something gruesomely wicked. how would you do weapons and digging tools? how would they reproduce, would the mayor act as a sort of queen? and bricks and things - i guess the mason class would make spitballs out of the soil. and what would the HFS encounter be about? im guessing you want to mold traits of many different ants into your playable civ.

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2008, 06:40:06 pm »

Actually, there is a variety of ant found on nearly every continent that might act similarly to this:
For example, you pick one up in America and bring it to a colony in Australia, the Australian colony will accept this ant.  However, I cannot recall the name of the species.
There is one megacolony of sorts that stretches along a large portion of the north Mediterranean coast, between numerous individual colonies, which would basically be a civ by DF definitions.  I think trade is plausible depending on the species.  This might also be the same species that Legolord was talking about.

That species would be the Argentine ant. I like to think i pay attention when i watch documentaries.  :P

Hell, did anyone read my post?

Dwarves would be argentine ants (since dwarves never really war with dwarves) and humans would be fire ants or something.

im from argentina ^^

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2008, 09:44:33 pm »

OH JESUS THAT SPIDER IS HORRIFYING!!!!!!!

*Curls up into fetal position*

OH WAIT NOES THE SCORPIONS WILLZ GETZ ME!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]