Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ant Colony [CONCEPT]  (Read 4004 times)

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
Re: Ant Colony [CONCEPT]
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 06:21:39 am »

Japanese Hornet Man.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 06:48:13 am »

Japanese Hornet Man.

How to fight them?

"Just transform your gf to Sailor Moon, you sick ####. She will take care of them, oh yeah" -Not me

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 08:28:03 pm »

Actually, honeybees have a method known as the 'bee ball.' Hundreds of them collect around the offending hornet and start vibrating their wings. This heats them up, far beyond the livable temperature for hornets but not for bees.

Awesome.

And every bug fromt hat list should be a megabeast. Bullet ants... Oh god bullet ants...
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 08:53:05 pm »

Only if you add in a giant, nigh-unkillable Human Foot as a megabeast.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 09:14:20 pm »

Only if you add in a giant, nigh-unkillable Human Foot as a megabeast.
Expounding upon this:

Epically sized feet representing all civs in their respective areas.  Human feet in the plains, dwarf feet in the mountains, elf feet in the forests, etc.  You could even make feet civs for them, you'd just need to give them less impressive stats during worldgen so they don't kill everything.
ow did this get here

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 09:16:03 pm »

Have like whip scorpions as chasm creatures, make giant olms regular olms. Put in praying mantids as a semi-megabeast or just a large predator. I'd say put in velvet worms but i don't think there's any way to keep them from leaving 'webs'.

Oh, aphids should totally replace cows. Just make them smaller.

Maybe you should make all the 'civilized' races (as in not goblins or kobolds) types of ants to explain why they can trade with each other. Elves would be army ants since they don't build nests but just form a bivouac out of their bodies. And they zerg things. Dwarves would be argentine ants (since dwarves never really war with dwarves) and humans would be fire ants or something.

Replace all trees with shrubs and all shrubs with types of grass.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 09:20:45 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 09:21:25 pm »

Its hard making a replacement insect for dragons. What's a giant green scaled flying fire breathing insect?

Bombardier beetle!
Ok it isn't giant and not sure if any species are green, but it can fly and it shoots an exploding luquid from its abdomen! :o
I vote Bombardier Beetles for dragons.  They are indeed giant compared to ants, ladybugs, and termites, which are what replace dwarves, elves, and termites.  Well, at least ladybugs should replace elves.  They are both rather irritating, according to my brother.

Trees should be replaced by flowers.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 09:28:16 pm »

Maybe you should make all the 'civilized' races (as in not goblins or kobolds) types of ants to explain why they can trade with each other.
But ants don't really do that between themselves, either.

In the spirit of making the mod a bit truer to life, I'd suggest making none of the races talk or have intelligence.  You'd get lots of wars and no trade, which... seems appropriate, really.
ow did this get here

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 09:45:54 pm »

Maybe you should make all the 'civilized' races (as in not goblins or kobolds) types of ants to explain why they can trade with each other.
But ants don't really do that between themselves, either.

In the spirit of making the mod a bit truer to life, I'd suggest making none of the races talk or have intelligence.  You'd get lots of wars and no trade, which... seems appropriate, really.
Actually, there is a variety of ant found on nearly every continent that might act similarly to this:
For example, you pick one up in America and bring it to a colony in Australia, the Australian colony will accept this ant.  However, I cannot recall the name of the species.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 10:06:52 pm »

Leaf-cutter plants climb trees and onto leaves. There they cut off bits of the leaf and fall to the ground with a section of leaf several times it's size and weight. On the ground, it hauls it to the bottom of the nest, where it is chewed into pulp and left onto gardens. Fungus grows on these gardens, providing the ants with food.

That sounds dwarven. Don't get me started on honeypot ants.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Himmelhand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 01:32:06 am »

There is one megacolony of sorts that stretches along a large portion of the north Mediterranean coast, between numerous individual colonies, which would basically be a civ by DF definitions.  I think trade is plausible depending on the species.  This might also be the same species that Legolord was talking about.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 01:55:03 am »

Its hard making a replacement insect for dragons. What's a giant green scaled flying fire breathing insect?

Bombardier beetle!
Ok it isn't giant and not sure if any species are green, but it can fly and it shoots an exploding luquid from its abdomen! :o
I vote Bombardier Beetles for dragons.  They are indeed giant compared to ants, ladybugs, and termites, which are what replace dwarves, elves, and termites.  Well, at least ladybugs should replace elves.  They are both rather irritating, according to my brother.

Trees should be replaced by flowers.

Termites replace termites?

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 02:31:32 am »

Also a megabeast that is named Magnify Glass Focus. An unkillable thing with a very low attack but a high temp so insects near it catch fire.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 03:34:12 am »

Also a megabeast that is named Magnify Glass Focus. An unkillable thing with a very low attack but a high temp so insects near it catch fire.
Oh, aphids should totally replace cows. Just make them smaller.

Arrfgfhr did anybody read my post?

Flying civs are a bad idea. I think they are buggy as hell.
As for megabeasts, how about a hovering magnifying lens. Or kid with magnifying lens. Then you could include the whole fire breath thing and stick with the theme of ants. I don't really know how ants would take down a magnifying lens in real life though.
As for pets use aphids, as ants do in fact keep aphids as a food source: Article

Stop stealing my ideas... Your in my head aren't you? GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!! ARGAHGHPLA!!!! *runs away screaming to find tinfoil hat*

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 05:00:04 am »

Did anyone say anything? BTW did you know that ants use aphids as pets in real?
Pages: 1 [2] 3