Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarfs&AMMO: A Community Question Thread on Violent Things In General  (Read 2246 times)

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile

So! There's plenty of things in DF that are used for defense of self, family, fort, and Nation. That's all fine and dandy. But to all DF players there must come the day when each and every one asks themselves: Why aren't these dwarfs hitting kobolds with chainsaws? Why aren't these goblins getting shelled by artillery? And how can I make my dwarfs light everything on fire by simply being nearby? This thread hopes to answer all these questions (and more!) through use of the community.

1) I was wondering last night how to mod in the FUBAR III as a new mace weapon for another mod, and I designed this, remodded.

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_MACE_III_FUBAR]
[NAME:FUBAR III:FUBAR IIIs]
[DAMAGE:180:BLUDGEON]
[WEIGHT:60]
[SKILL:MACE]
[CRIT_BOOST:1]
[TWO_HANDED:7]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:5]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:5]

Added in the ability to make the things in Entity_default, and you're set, right? Wrong. For some reason, buggered if I know, I can't make this weapon. Ah, me.

2) The weapon damage subtypes are

GORE for making chunky bits,
PIERCE for straight up organ damage,
SLASH for chopping, like with an axe,
BLUDGEON for smacking seven shades of crap right out of something,
COLD for Frosty the Abominable Snowman and his subzero machinegun (Don't know the specifics of this, but it kills things by freezing them, 'aigh't?),
BURN for (I THINK!) lighting things on fire. Maybe. Possibly. And
HEAT for being hot in general. Or lighting things on fire. SOMETHING lights things on fire.

Battle axes can chop wood. They can also chop things a little more mobile, like, say, a kobold. But if you mod in an axe or chainsaw that does GORE damage instead of SLASH, will it cut wood?

3) Siege weapons:

3a) How do I change their firing range?

3b) How do I change the maximum effected area of a catapult shot?

3c) How do I change the appearance of a siege engine? Like how a catapult looks like a catapult... well, how would I create a new graphic representation of a siege engine?

3d(1.2.)) DRAGONFIREBREATH has a wide spread but compared to a ballista short range. Can I mod a similar attack into a siege weapon? Is there a way to add DRAGONFIREBREATH to a shot from a siege weapon?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to ask your own questions here as well! Who knows, maybe I know the answer to a problem your having!
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs&AMMO: A Community Question Thread on Violent Things In General
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 09:22:33 pm »

No idea how to fix your problems. But you must be told that I want the siege engine modifications so badly. Unfortunately, I think you're stuck on that aspect. I believe that area of the game is hardcoded at the moment, but without checking, I don't know for sure. I just would have expected artillery a long time ago if it was possible.

Dhargk

• Bay Watcher
  • Free hugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 09:25:10 pm »

1) Did you generate a new world?

2) I think that the thing that dictates whether it can or can't cut wood is the [SKILL:AXE] but I could be totally wrong

3) You can't do any of that.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 09:56:58 pm »

1) Did you gen a new world, if not, then it might be one of the other tags, as I can't see anything wrong with the weapon.

2)a) Imagine BURN as if you burned yourself on a hot pan, but without the heat itself, causes sever pain, and can reduce things to ash, but not actually light them on fire. HEAT damage can light things on fire according to the wiki, but I personally have never seen something hit a high enough temperature to actually combust in game before.
b) I think that it is [SKILL:AXE] that sets this

3) This is all currently hardcoded at the moment, currently it says that we can create new siege ammo types, but you will probably just end up with something that can't be fired, but then again, it might work. I havn't really explored that area of modding.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 10:56:50 am »

"Hardcoded" as in written in sets of 5 numerals?

I think someone cracked that before... but cant find the thread.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 11:04:42 am »

Makes me wonder if a custom metal that is stable in underground temp (something like 50 degrees Fahrenheit or something like that) but explodes at outside temp, would cause a ballista bolt made of that metal to explode damagingly when fired from indoors to outdoors on a warm day?

EDIT: Actually that could probably work with bolts too.  Even if it doesn't explode in the air bolts that get stuck in goblins or ones that miss their target should still explode. 

There is the little detail of your marksdwarves exploding into a spectacular fireball when they step outside instead of exploding into a fountain of vomit though.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 11:13:04 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 11:26:14 am »

um... what if you left the bar stockpile outside?

NO PREEKUS YOU FO-*BOOOM*
That would be hilarious.

Also, on the issue of flaming ballistea bolts, wouldn't they catch on fire immediatly?
I guess it would be OK because it would be on-fire until it hit the gobbo.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 12:58:23 pm »

I think that the thing that dictates whether it can or can't cut wood is the [SKILL:AXE] but I could be totally wrong

I am roughly 97.5% certain this is correct.  Axes that do GORE damage can definitely cut wood, as can HEAT axes, which don't seem to set the trees on fire.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 01:15:39 pm »

Not quite a dwarwen thing.

HEAT damage can light things on fire according to the wiki
It's wrong. You can't set fires with HEAT attacks, it just changes the attack/damage description.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 01:18:44 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Von Krieger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 01:45:11 pm »

Isn't BURN something along the lines of acid-like damage?

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 02:55:06 pm »

This means a size 7 creature can weild and make it. I think.
Isn't BURN something along the lines of acid-like damage?
For now, yes.
Only one major difference:It lights things on fire.

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 08:56:26 pm »

It's wrong. You can't set fires with HEAT attacks, it just changes the attack/damage description.

Been working on a weapon mod for another mod for humans surviving in a zombie apocalypse. 'Tis fun, 'tis fun. So BURN lights things on fire? Keen! I'll keep that in mind.

On everyone who's responded to my siege engines request: Shoot. Alright, let's start off slow.

What does hard-coded mean?

Now:

Is there any way I can change the code to -make- the siege weapons shoot flames or whatnot?
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Dhargk

• Bay Watcher
  • Free hugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 09:39:24 pm »

Been working on a weapon mod for another mod for humans surviving in a zombie apocalypse. 'Tis fun, 'tis fun. So BURN lights things on fire? Keen! I'll keep that in mind.

On everyone who's responded to my siege engines request: Shoot. Alright, let's start off slow.

What does hard-coded mean?

Now:

Is there any way I can change the code to -make- the siege weapons shoot flames or whatnot?

Hard-coded basically means that it's not in the raws (the editable text files) and as such is not easily changeable.

It would be changeable with some .exe hacking or the like, but you'd end up with way more work than you'd want and it probably wouldn't work all that well.

For example: the types of weapons you can make is NOT hardcoded. You can make chainsaws, flamethrowers, gigantic paddles, etc.

The type of workshops you can make ARE hardcoded. You can't easily change something that would allow you to make, for instance, a hauler's workshop, or a noble's workshop.

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 01:24:33 pm »

I've modded in heat and burn weapons and used them in adventure mode and I have yet to see anything actually light on fire with either damage type.

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 03:44:46 am »

I've experimented a bit with the heat and burn attacks as well. As far as I can tell, they do the exact same thing. Which is to say they can cause heat damage/incinerate if strong enough, but don't set things on fire. Maybe because attacks target flesh instead of clothing?
Pages: [1] 2